IGNORED

Must Have N-64 Games (not on VC)?

Tempest

I'll be getting an N-64 again (had one long ago but swapped it for some Coco 3 stuff), and I'm wondering what games to get. Yes I know about Mario 64, Paper Mario, Smash Bros, etc. but the problem is that I have all those on my Wii via Virtual Console. So I guess my real question is what are the must have N-64 games that AREN'T on the Wii VC or can't be played properly due to the controller layout (I'm looking at you Sin and Punishment)? My guess is that this is going to be a small list because most of the best N-64 games were 1st party.

The first one that comes to mind is Ogre Battle 64, Shadowgate 64, and maybe one of the two Castlevania games (although I hear they kind of sucked). Any other suggestions? I generally like RPGs (good luck with the on the N64) and Adventure type games.

Tempest

/*

1080 Snowboarding

Beetle Adventure Racing!

Chopper Attack

Diddy Kong Racing

Goldeneye 007

Mario Kart 64

San Francisco Rush Extreme Racing

South Park

Starfox 64

Super Mario 64

The Legend of Zelda Majora's Mask

The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time

*/

these are the ones i can think of... they are the top ones i own and will never part with because i enjoy playing them time to time...

also conkers bad fur day, i believe there was some kind of army men game that was pretty cool too

My favorite multi-player game of all time Battle Tanx!!! I have an Ogre Battle 64 to sell right now. The local game shop has a CIB, and I planned to sell my loose to fund the upgrade. The store is asking $79.98 (ug!) The first Castlevania isn't worth it, but the second is. Harvest moon is good, one of the best versions of Doom out there, Beetle Adventure Racing, I'm sure I'll think of more. Maybe pick up a Z64 :D

AX

Edited by the.golden.ax

I know it took a lot of flak in its time, but I liked Quest 64 for what it was. It's no Dragon Quest, but it doesn't try to be, and with that in mind, it can be a pretty fun game.

Also, I know its already on VC, but in that form, I can't get over how sloppy the analog control is in Star Fox 64. The analog stick sensitivity is way too touchy in Nintendo's emulator, and it really shows in games where you have to aim, like Star Fox. I'd get the original.

Rogue Squadron is a kickass game that hasn't made it to VC (yet?). Also Jet Force Gemini, Banjo-Kazooie, Donkey Kong 64, Diddy Kong Racing, Cruisin USA is cheesy but addictive, Perfect Dark, Shadow Man, Super Smash Bros, Conker's Bad Fur Day... the list goes on. I enjoyed Shadows of the Empire, but acknowledge it as a so-so game.

GoldenEye isn't on the VC list? Seems odd...

But anyway, if that VC list is correct, I'd say:

GoldenEye

Blast Corps

Perfect Dark

Turok: Dinosaur Hunter

Those are games I've played; for other ideas you might look here:

http://www.gamerankings.com/browse.html?site=n64

Not a huge fan of the FPS genre. I never did like Golden Eye...

Tempest

I'll be getting an N-64 again (had one long ago but swapped it for some Coco 3 stuff), and I'm wondering what games to get. Yes I know about Mario 64, Paper Mario, Smash Bros, etc. but the problem is that I have all those on my Wii via Virtual Console. So I guess my real question is what are the must have N-64 games that AREN'T on the Wii VC or can't be played properly due to the controller layout (I'm looking at you Sin and Punishment)? My guess is that this is going to be a small list because most of the best N-64 games were 1st party.

The first one that comes to mind is Ogre Battle 64, Shadowgate 64, and maybe one of the two Castlevania games (although I hear they kind of sucked). Any other suggestions? I generally like RPGs (good luck with the on the N64) and Adventure type games.

Tempest

Personally, I'd take the coco 3 stuff everytime over N64

Star Wars: Rogue Squadron

Banjo-Kazooie

Banjo-Tooie

Pilotwings 64

Also I always loved WWF No Mercy. If you're into those type of games. One of the best for its time.

Edited by 16-bit

Is Aidyn Chronicles out on the virtual console?

Pokemon Stadium tie into six Game Boy RPG carts. It might seem a little too kidde for you, though. PS is more of a fighting game, the RPG element is on the Game Boy. Still, the PS games do take some leg work to get through. Get yourself a Transfer Pak if you get PS, and get the codes for the Nintendo function only Pokemon (that is, the ones you could only get by going to release parties and such and trading Pokemon there.)

wipEout 64 is a decent game. Think wipEout XL with a few more weapons and totally different tracks.

+1 for extreme G. Get yourself a knob style controller for it, though.

SF Rush was decent on the N64.

Mario Tennis is cool. You'll need a Transfer Pak here, also, and the Game Boy version can be hard to get.

But anyway, if that VC list is correct, I'd say:

GoldenEye

Blast Corps

Perfect Dark

Turok: Dinosaur Hunter

Those are games I've played; for other ideas you might look here:

http://www.gamerankings.com/browse.html?site=n64

Not a huge fan of the FPS genre. I never did like Golden Eye...

Tempest

Heresy!!! Golden Eye just aint your daddies FPS..... :P

Winback: Covert Ops is a good third person shooter. It always reminded me of Time Crisis because of the duck and cover and the rumble. Unlike other shooters though you're able to lock on to the enemies while in cover, and then jump out real quick, pop him in the head, and then get behind cover again and begin contemplating your next move. It's also on PS2 but I don't think it's supposed to play as well and has really bad voice acting (whereas the N64 version is just sound effects and music). Oh and they made a sequel which is supposed to be terrible.

Mariokart 64 has some of the best multiplayer action around for hardcore gamers. But you absolutely have to have really good players, otherwise everybody sucks and it's no fun. This is a really good competitive game because it's extremely well balanced.

Pilotwings 64 is better than the SNES Pilotwings, in my opinion. I suppose that could be because I played the SNES version to death, but I think it has a better variety of gameplay and also has much more content.

N64 is by far the system that aged the worst in my opinion (the PS1 isn't as bad because it had better textures and more polygons). Also, 3d gameplay ages especially badly so a lot of the games I loved back in 1998 are dead to me now. I still don't think that today's 3d gameplay has gotten anywhere near to the quality of some of the best 2d games. Will 3d games ever be as good as 2d games? Maybe eventually.

-Adam

Some quality games that I recommend are -

These games almost feel like you're playing a CDrom game with plenty of voice acting and cut-scenes:

Resident Evil 2

Spider-Man

James Bond: The World is Not Enough

Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine

These games are fun and have a uniqueness in game-play that stands out from N64 games, in my opinion:

Goemon's Great Adventure

Sin and Punishment

Castlevania:Legacy of Darkness

And I was never into wrestling games, but WWF No Mercy has in-depth customization of your wrestlers with many moves to chose from, as well as other character options, and is a very fun game to play on the N64. It has a story mode too which keeps things interesting with dialogue between wrestlers. And it's cheap now too, so it's worth buying without worrying about it being a crap game. You will spend a lot of time with this one once you start playing.

...maybe one of the two Castlevania games (although I hear they kind of sucked).

I'm really glad I ignored all the people who said Castlevania 64 sucked. I enjoyed it immensely, though my memory card died right when I was fighting Dracula =/ So now I have to get a new one before I can start playing again >_<

The only explaination I can find for people hating it so much is that it's very similar (IMO) to Castlevania 2: Simon's Quest, another CV game I loved that everyone else hated.

Get the second game if you can, though. Apparently when you beat it, you can unlock the two quests from the original game, sans a bit of a voice acting. Haven't played it myself, they didn't have it so I just bought the first one instead.

Rare has been wanting to remake Goldeneye for either the Wii or 360, DLC, with higher-res art running at 60 FPS, but between Nintendo and Microsoft, they can't reach an agreement on the legal rights to actually do it, so it sits in limbo =/

Shame. There's a video of it, and it looks really sweet...I especially love how faithful to the original it looks, unlike other remakes I've seen:

Here's my list... the N64 is probably my favorite system of all time. Most of these have already been mentioned, but I have to throw in my votes for them:

Banjo-Kazooie

Banjo-Tooie

Blast Corps (this is an absolute must have!)

Donkey Kong 64

Excitebike 64 (though I expect this will come to the VC at some point)

Micro Machines 64 (not for everyone, probably, but I really enjoyed it)

Quest 64 (yes, it's kind of simplistic, but it's still a fun light RPG)

Shadows of the Empire (I really like the variety in the different sections)

Tetrisphere (a fabulous puzzle game that's not just like all the others)