IGNORED

1050 help.

Tupin

I finally got a cable to hook my drive up to my 800XL, but I can't figure out how to do it correctly. I turn on the drive, wait for the busy light to go out, and then insert a disk and secure it. I then turn on the computer, it plays a series of noises, and then either cuts to a black screen or stays on the BASIC screen with the cursor.

Do I just have bad disks or am I doing something wrong?

I finally got a cable to hook my drive up to my 800XL, but I can't figure out how to do it correctly. I turn on the drive, wait for the busy light to go out, and then insert a disk and secure it. I then turn on the computer, it plays a series of noises, and then either cuts to a black screen or stays on the BASIC screen with the cursor.

What happens if you press "Option" while you turn on the computer?

What happens if you type "DOS" at the BASIC screen?

What do you expect to be on the disk?

The sequence is usually power up drive, wait for busy light to go out, insert disk, hold option, switch on computer (whilst holding option), games boots.

If during the beeps you see "boot error" or you end up with either the self test or "READY" then the load failed. It is possible that the disk is bad or your drive is bad (or both).

Can you try another disk? If you have a copy of DOS that might be good place to start.

I got all these disks in one lot, and they aren't in particularity good condition. I know the drive is good, it powers up, the busy light goes out, and it doesn't spin until the lever is pulled. Compared to my other drive where the busy light and drive are on the second it powers up.

I'll try to get other disks to try it out.

Powering up and spinning isn't verification that all is good.

Best to start with basic functionality and work your way up. Does it do all of these:

1. Start computer with 1050 powered up, and no disk in the drive. Do you get a stream of "BOOT ERROR" messages?

2. Find a DOS disk. Boot up the computer. Type "DOS" when the booting is complete, do you get a menu?

3. Get a blank disk, use the Format and "Write DOS Files" options in DOS. Then verify that the disk you've just created will boot and give you DOS.

So far it sounds to me like the computer doesn't see the drive. What it will normally do with no drive connected is make a 'farting' noise for about 2 seconds and drop to BASIC. If a drive 1 is connected you will either hear loading beeps or it will show BOOT ERROR if it cannot read the disk (or a combination of both if the disk is not bootable).

Does the busy LED come back on when you turn on the computer?

Edited by Bryan

Very possibly.

Open the drive with it turned off and nothing plugged into it. Avoid touching the capacitors or electronics. You'll likely see oxide deposits covering the head.

A cotton or foam bud with some video head cleaner applied to it is ideal, or a lint-free cloth. Don't apply too much pressure.

Don't use huge amounts of fluid. It should evaporate away in seconds.

You might also want to check the little pressure pad that holds the surface close to the head, although I'd not apply fluid there, just a gentle wipe with a dry cloth is enough.

Could be any of a number of things.

It's much easier to diagnose if you've got another drive handy... produce a good floppy with the other drive and try to read on the dodgy one.

Boot DOS with the good drive, format a disk on the dodgy drive and see how it performs in the good drive.

The computer won't make any difference. By getting the continuous "BOOT ERROR" message, you've verified that the logic board is at least functioning so far as communicating with a computer goes, and that your computer seems to be fine.

The problem your drive has is likely in the mechanics, the head or in the logic that decodes the signal from the disk, or it could just be that all the floppies you have are bad.

Wait...

You get BOOT ERROR without a disk?

That's correct.

Do you get BOOT ERROR with a disk? Does the busy light come on and the disk spin? You should hear beeps, not clicks.

If you just hear a series of beeps, with no BOOT ERROR, the drive is probably reading OK.

You need to verify your disks - make sure they have valid data on them. If you boot up to READY, what happens exactly when you type DOS?

Bob

Yes, I get a stream of BOOT ERROR messages without a disk in the drive. The busy LED does come on when the computer is turned on, however.

Could the drive head just be dirty?

Ah, so you're saying the disk begins loading, but at some point fails and drops to BASIC or a black screen.

This means something is getting corrupted. Have you run through a complete memory test in the SELF-TEST mode? Can you find any disk that will load?

I would still clean the head even tho it looks clean. I have had instances where it looked clean but had a bit stuck on it.

I would ask nicely someone who is near to you on this forum to send you a disk or 2 with dos on it to make sure your drive is ok.

With your current disks, some times they get a coating that dirtys the head that once gone, will read ok. Could take several reads and cleans before they come good.

James.

The Atari 1050 is a single sided drive and the head is located below the disk. When you close the drive door, a felt pressure pad pushes the disk against the head. A spring holds the pad down. I have a 1050 that had the felt pad fall off. I glued in a piece of felt and the drive now works perfectly. Look at the arm that moves when you turn the drive door handle and see if the pad is still there. Also, I guess that the spring could be broken. No guarantees here, just a few things to look at.