IGNORED

Boxiz.

atari2600land

I got bored with Tetris, and along with the comment someone made that they'd rather work on something original than a rehash of something, so here's my original idea. Your goal is to get to the top of the screen as many times as possible. Stopping you are some boxiz. The boxiz go back and forth, and so do some spaces in the walls. Once you reach the end of the wall, you warp back to the other side, which helps you elude the boxiz. It plays kind of like Frogger, but I think it's a little bit different due to the fact that you can go anywhere. This began as just me fooling around with bB, but I think the game has some potential. What do you think?

post-9475-1250324217_thumb.png

boxiz.bas.bin

boxiz.bas

Yup, lots of potential! In some ways it reminds me of the 2600 version of jawbreaker.

suggestions:

• I think the side walls should be deadly. As is, you can safely sit in one of the tunnels and have it keep pushing you until the conditions are perfect to get to the next tunnel.
  • The speed/character of the boxiz should change as you earn more points, as should the wall colors (I'm sure you already had that in mind)
  • The main character could be an ant, trying to avoid invaders in his colony... if only we had a name for this character. ;)

bugs:

• holding download at the beginning allows you to keeps scoring without having to go up.

I got bored with Tetris, and along with the comment someone made that they'd rather work on something original than a rehash of something, so here's my original idea.

New games with high playability always are great, but hard to create. I think you tetris was looking good, still some glitches left, but a good work.

I think to do known games to 2600 is always a great effort!

To be able to play tetris and Rally-x on 2600 is great, just as the impact Megaman Demo made. Beside to make a good remake (demake) it's also a hard effort.

I like this game! It definitely has an interesting feel to it. It's a little bit like frogger, but unique. It also reminded me somewhat of the proto for "The Entity."

Some things that might be interesting to explore would be a time limit or (as someone mentioned above) killer walls on the sides, so you can't just ride sideways totaly protected. Actually, using both of those might be interesting, to increase the challenge as you progress through the game. Maybethe first level can be exactly as you've designed it, so players can get a feel for the game, then introduce new elements gradually. For instance, maybe the next level could have a scorebar timer that you have to beat, then the next level can have killer walls, then the next level could have both killer walls AND a timer, etc... In other words, this seems like it could be one of those games that starts off very simple then gains in complexity as you progress. Maybe the roving guards could also gain in complexity... like every few levels there is a guard who doesn't just rove back and forth, but actively slithers down through the maze to find you.

Nice start.

Edited by jrok

Normally I don't post revisions three hours apart, but this one is significant. Putting the left difficulty switch to A at the title screens makes the side walls deadly. I also made a change to the title screen. Instead of flashing rainbow colors, once it gets through with a color group, it randomly selects a new one to cycle through.

boxiz.bas.bin

boxiz.bas