IGNORED

Football - Realsports Soccer...Okay?

etschuetz

So, I just recently scored a copy of Football - Realsports Soccer. However, I noticed Atari released the same game as just "Realsports Soccer", without the "Football" in the title. Aside from title, I notice NO difference. What is the big deal?

People outside of American fail to recognize the superiority of American-style Football and call their "sport" soccer by the name "Football" instead. Therefore clarification is needed on the label so that someone looking for a good Football game doesn't get stuck with a crappy soccer game instead.

All American Stan

:spidey:

Followed by Tongue-in-Cheek Stan

:P

• Like 1

People outside of American fail to recognize the superiority of American-style Football and call their "sport" soccer by the name "Football" instead. Therefore clarification is needed on the label so that someone looking for a good Football game doesn't get stuck with a crappy soccer game instead.

All American Stan

American style "football" - only one man out of a team of about forty players actually kicks the ball - it should be called tossball.

Australian Rules Football - now there's a real game, no sissy pads, helmets and 300 pound immobile lard-arses getting paid millions of dollars, without even touching the ball!!!

Edited by ravenxau
  • Like 1

All American Stan

American style "football" - only one man out of a team of about forty players actually kicks the ball - it should be called tossball.

Or "Throwball"

check my avatar :)

lol, throwball...not with Adrian Peterson around! :D

Maybe the ball was exactly one foot in length at one point. WHo knows?

All American Stan

Or "Throwball"

check my avatar :)

Okay, this got off topic. And, as an American, I do know that oversea's "soccer" is called football. It also makes a lot more sense considering how the game is played. However, my point was just to ask if there was a reason to why the Realsports Soccer has the label with and without the "Football" name. Not smart ass comments about American sports and the odd naming of them.

Also, it is pretty arrogant to call American Football a pansy sport when even Aussie Rugby players are quoted for saying NFL players are tough, even with the pads. The force of impact an NFL player executes when blocking and tackling is far more severe in comparison to other sports. Don't believe me? Put on those pads, run down the field, and let another guy weighing anywhere from the same to 150 pounds heavier run into you at full speed.

As for the "lard asses" on the line, each player performs a specific duty. Just like a chess piece. don't think American Football isn't like chess? Think of the linemen as the pawns. Running backs as the knights, recievers as rooks and bishops. The quarter back is a double piece as the queen and the king. Same with the kicker. each play determines positioning, and the ultimate goal is to either get the quarter back (def) or the goal (off). Each team counters the other by utilizing strategy through plays.

American's have a tendancy to not see any strategy in Soccer due to the fact that to those that never played, or watched it, just see a "bunch of guys in shorts running around kicking a ball". Yes, there are positions and plays, but to some, it just doesn't look like a lot of strategy.

to each their own. If you don't get it, don't knock it...someone else does, and they like it.

• Like 1

wow. So "tongue-in-cheek" has lost its meaning in this society. Interesting...

Anywho, I figured the answer was as obvious as the question and I think "else" did an adequate job of providing the appropriate response.

again, wow.

Unintentionally Offensive Stan

:spidey: :?

Edited by StanJr
  • Like 1

Realsports Soccer came first. If I were to guess, the Football / Soccer combo name was a cost cutting move -- so that Atari didn't need to have two separate boxes for both US and International sale....

Didn't Pele's Championship Soccer come first?

Yes, obviously. But that wasn't the question....

• 5 years later...

So which Atari 2600 football (for the US Atarians: soccer) game its the best in your mind? And which controllers do work best with it?

I have Pele's Championship Soccer (Atari CX-2616-P) and it actually is fun if played in a tournament, except the hands hurt after short time (original Atari joysticks).

Australian Rules Football - now there's a real game, no sissy pads, helmets and 300 pound immobile lard-arses getting paid millions of dollars, without even touching the ball!!!

Clearly you're familiar with the finer points of American Football.