IGNORED

HSC Season 7 Week 1: Moon Patrol

Ze_ro

After playing this game for a couple hours daily all week, all I can say is, "BLAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH!!"

If I was still 12, I would have smashed a dozen controllers at least by now.

My high score sheet claims I once broke 50,000, but I don't believe it.

I've only managed to get to the second set of levels three times! (And I didn't last long...)

And I've MASTERED everything up to the triple tanks. I lose all my guys there or immediately after -- you know, when the bomber blows a hole in the only safe place to land after a crater jump. What tha--!?!?

I remember playing this a lot on my Commodore back in the day and how great it felt to gain a little ground every so many plays. I want that feeling again! Why must I be forever stuck on Level One?

What's with the giant leap in difficulty in the final stage?

These are not rhetorical questions. I demand answers, ye Atari Gods!

After playing this game for a couple hours daily all week, all I can say is, "BLAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH!!"

If I was still 12, I would have smashed a dozen controllers at least by now.

My high score sheet claims I once broke 50,000, but I don't believe it.

I've only managed to get to the second set of levels three times! (And I didn't last long...)

And I've MASTERED everything up to the triple tanks. I lose all my guys there or immediately after -- you know, when the bomber blows a hole in the only safe place to land after a crater jump. What tha--!?!?

I remember playing this a lot on my Commodore back in the day and how great it felt to gain a little ground every so many plays. I want that feeling again! Why must I be forever stuck on Level One?

What's with the giant leap in difficulty in the final stage?

These are not rhetorical questions. I demand answers, ye Atari Gods!

Yes that sucks HARD!

I have had a nice run and then that bastard kills me by making an extra crater on the side of a double crater so it's impossible to jump. Or forcing me to long jump right into a conveniently placed rock. Seems like it is "smart" enough to do that. Bastard!

My strategy in the later levels is when the bombers come out just jam on the brakes, usually they will drift to the left to get closer to you, then take them out or speed up a bit to keep them to your left where they can't hurt you. I sorta slow down/speed up to try and keep them from getting a bead on me.

The mine field on the second course is the one that annoys me.

FOUR UFOs come out right before there and if you don't get them ALL, they shoot at you while you are trying to jump mines.

Problem is, the mines are so close together that you have to jump them with the brakes on (stick pushed to the left, slowest speed, jump at the last possible moment, jump again, and again)

So if a missile is coming down, you can't speed up or your jump will land you on the NEXT mine.

Pick your poison.

Oh and one last tip that may be obvious. ALWAYS take out the lowest UFOs first if possible, can't react fast enough to dodge their shots if one makes it past your missiles.

Edited by godzillajoe

I cannot get past the first minefield for the life of me. I have no idea why, I can one life everything up to the minefield, then bam, I lose all my lives.

The first mine field? Just floor it and jump early. Can breeeze through it in 15 seconds.

Ahhhh ok. I was trying the stop and go, where you stop right before the first double jump then go at normal speed.

I cannot get past the first minefield for the life of me. I have no idea why, I can one life everything up to the minefield, then bam, I lose all my lives.

The first mine field? Just floor it and jump early. Can breeeze through it in 15 seconds.

Ahhhh ok. I was trying the stop and go, where you stop right before the first double jump then go at normal speed.

I usually go medium speed and jump early... you want to try and land just after the mines.

Although I have no new score to post (the second level still has me stymied) I have gotten to the point where I can routinely clear the first level.

My tip to clearing the part just past the triple tanks, where the bombers seem to always blow a crater in the only safe place to land: You can guide the enemy missile! I'd never noticed earlier in the game, but the act of speeding up and slowing down effectively drags the landscape back and forth underneath an incoming missile. In other words, wait until the crater-bomb is dropped then slow down until the shot lines up with the already existing crater or the rock. Voila! No new crater!

Although I have no new score to post (the second level still has me stymied) I have gotten to the point where I can routinely clear the first level.

My tip to clearing the part just past the triple tanks, where the bombers seem to always blow a crater in the only safe place to land: You can guide the enemy missile! I'd never noticed earlier in the game, but the act of speeding up and slowing down effectively drags the landscape back and forth underneath an incoming missile. In other words, wait until the crater-bomb is dropped then slow down until the shot lines up with the already existing crater or the rock. Voila! No new crater!

My advice for the second course is never speed up.

Slow and steady.

Trade the bonus time for the lives you will avoid losing.

As soon as you blow up a tank on the edge of a crater, jump and hammer that fire button as soon as you land, but not before or you will shoot over the top of the enemy missile and die

It's mostly set up so you will land at the exact right spot so the NEXT tank can't shoot you

And when the bombers come out. STOP.

At least temporarily

The second mine field, the single mines, you have to be going SLOW or you can't make it.

Three slow singles, then resume default speed for the two doubles then repeat.

It will take a bit of practice.