IGNORED

Forum Upgrade Complete!

Albert

Click on the symbol to the right of "Community Blogs" (in the header) and it will return to a much more familiar view.

Thanks, that's definitely an improvement already and a lot easier on the eyes. Albeit still lacking most required functionality, like sorting columns and proper info on new comments.

Also I vote for having some way of downloading images attached to forum topics instead of just viewing them. For example, I wanted to grab some art that I did that I attached to a forum post and add it to the gallery but I can't right-click and download it. Even if there were a download link in the preview that would be cool. I also tried to access the attachment directly by attempting to visit the URL from the page source but it tried to make me login even though I was already logged-in, so I assume that is only admin functionality?

Also I vote for having some way of downloading images attached to forum topics instead of just viewing them. For example, I wanted to grab some art that I did that I attached to a forum post and add it to the gallery but I can't right-click and download it. Even if there were a download link in the preview that would be cool. I also tried to access the attachment directly by attempting to visit the URL from the page source but it tried to make me login even though I was already logged-in, so I assume that is only admin functionality?

I just disabled "Lightbox" (which is the script that shows the image popups) as I wasn't aware that it prevents you from downloading the image. That's pretty lame, and I can't believe there isn't an option to disable this "functionality". Now the full image will simply open in your browser window so you can do whatever you'd like with it. I do like the ability of being able to click "Next" and "Previous" images in a post, though, which is lost by simply opening an image in the browser window directly. I'll continue hunting around to see if there is a way to allow saving of images within Lightbox, but if not, it won't be coming back (there are some nice alternatives, though, that I could explore installing at some point).

Thanks for pointing this out.

..Al

Click on the symbol to the right of "Community Blogs" (in the header) and it will return to a much more familiar view.

Thanks, that's definitely an improvement already and a lot easier on the eyes. Albeit still lacking most required functionality, like sorting columns and proper info on new comments.

I agree, that default view mode sucks, I need to look into seeing how I can make the other view come up by default. As for additional functionality, I won't be able to work on that until I get everything else done. I should get quite a bit of my "everything else" done this weekend. :)

..Al

If you post and then go back and edit the post, my avatar and info on the left does not show up and it pushes my smilies to the next line also. :)

Yes, this is something I am going to try to fix today, which I'm not looking forward to as I will have to pore over some Javascript to fix it. Does work fine in the default Invision skin, so it's something I broke with some skin changes.

..Al

I think it may be because of the three periods after "Playing", which may be because of the new "FURL" (friendly URL) format of links. I will have to look into that a bit. I could run a database query and change all of your "Playing..." tags to something else if I can't easily fix it.

..Al

I agree, that default view mode sucks, I need to look into seeing how I can make the other view come up by default. As for additional functionality, I won't be able to work on that until I get everything else done. I should get quite a bit of my "everything else" done this weekend. :)

Perfect example for "if it ain't broken, don't fix it" :)

I think it may be because of the three periods after "Playing", which may be because of the new "FURL" (friendly URL) format of links. I will have to look into that a bit. I could run a database query and change all of your "Playing..." tags to something else if I can't easily fix it.

I was suspecting the dots as well. Unfortunately the new blog software doesn't allow global management of categories anymore, so it would be cool if you could remove the dots via the DB in case. I think that should be a lot faster than editing 80+ entries myself :-o

Perfect example for "if it ain't broken, don't fix it" :)

I agree, there have been a few cases of that.

I was suspecting the dots as well. Unfortunately the new blog software doesn't allow global management of categories anymore, so it would be cool if you could remove the dots via the DB in case. I think that should be a lot faster than editing 80+ entries myself :-o

Yes, I will do that, but I do want to investigate a bit first. I noticed if you go to your blog and click on the "Playing..." tag on the right that it does show the first page of results properly. But the page navigation links do not work. Again, probably because of the periods. I also want to see if anyone has reported this on Invision's site.

..Al

I have added back the ability to edit posts indefinitely in certain forums, such as the Marketplace forums. Any forums that were editable before in this fashion should be now again. I'd appreciate it if a few people could look at some of their Marketplace threads and confirm that you are able to edit your posts.

Going to work now on allowing individual editing of posts.

..Al

Yeah... you don't want to do that. Especially since if you edit anything posted earlier than 2006, the new software will screw up your blog. It doesn't recognize 2005 (or earlier) as a valid date, so it takes it upon itself to change it to 2006 - even if all you're doing is editing text. I've got over a dozen entries in the wrong year now because I had to go back in and fix some formatting problems* the changeover caused, and didn't catch what was happening right away.

Albert's already aware of the date problem and is looking for a solution, but it sure seems like Invision really FURL'd up the blog features in a whole bunch of ways. (I really don't like the way it now displays the lists of tags as big blobs of oversized, unseparated words that all run into each other. One size with line breaks, please.)

*Specifically - it stripped out a bunch of paragraph breaks, so everything in an entry ran together into one, long, unformatted text block. If you check some of your older entries, you'll see the same thing.

I don't seem to be getting an e-mail when someone posts a message in my blog. I looked around for a setting to change, but I haven't seen where I can do that yet.

AtariAge is looking better now. Doesn't make me want to run away screaming anymore. :D

Maybe one of these days you can add :thumbsup: :thumbsdown: to the short emoticon list.

post-13-12509696449_thumb.png

I just added "My Posts" back to the forum. The link is in the upper-right corner next to "View New Content". I also added a Messenger link up there as well, so it's just hidden in that drop-down menu. About to move the "Guidelines" link somewhere else to get it out of the way.

I didn't exhaustively test "My Posts", so I'd greatly appreciate if others would hammer on it a bit. It seems to be working for me.

I almost didn't make it out of the new search code alive.. Hopefully I don't have to go back in there for a while.

..Al

thanks you thank you thank you!!!

thanks you thank you thank you!!!

You're welcome. It still needs some fine tuning, though. I'm not quite sure how it's sorting the results so I need to look into that (it's close to reverse chronological order, but not quite). Also, I need to adjust the title so states "Topics you have posted in".

..Al

I've added them, although they appear at the top of the list. Not sure how it order the emoticons, since there's now way to specify the order. Could be by filename. Will have to look at the code for a definitive answer there.

Thanks. Doesn't matter to me what order they are in as long as we have them in the list. :thumbsup:

I've added them, although they appear at the top of the list. Not sure how it order the emoticons, since there's now way to specify the order. Could be by filename. Will have to look at the code for a definitive answer there.

Thanks. Doesn't matter to me what order they are in as long as we have them in the list. :thumbsup:

ditto

I really don't like the way it now displays the lists of tags as big blobs of oversized, unseparated words that all run into each other. One size with line breaks, please.

"Tag" is really the keyword here. In the old software you would file a blog entry under a category. Now you can just add a bunch of individual buzzwords, like e.g. "cinema, pixar, disney". The more you use those buzzwords, the bigger they get displayed. What they were trying to do here is called a "Tag Cloud" => http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tag_cloud

which seem to be all the rage lately.

I'm not yet sure if I like this feature overall, basically because I had all my entries purposefully categorized and not tagged. If you ask me, conversion to tags should've been made possible by choice and not automatically by migration. At least one could've adjusted his categories ahead then. Just think what chaos must happen if someone per chance used commas in their category names...

If you check some of your older entries, you'll see the same thing.

YIKES! You want me to get a heart attack? :o

I'm not yet sure if I like this feature overall, basically because I had all my entries purposefully categorized and not tagged. If you ask me, conversion to tags should've been made possible by choice and not automatically by migration. At least one could've adjusted his categories ahead then. Just think what chaos must happen if someone per chance used commas in their category names...

I doubt that would have caused problems, you only use the commas during input to separate tags. You'd probably just end up with tags with commas, which probably would have worked fine. As for "tags" versus "categories", I prefer tags since you are not pigeonholed into one specific category. And if you use a single tag for each entry, then it's essentially the same thing. And you're right about the tag "cloud", that's certainly what they are aiming for there (and it seems to work, regardless of how aesthetically pleasing or not pleasing it may be).

As for having a choice during migration, well, since they removed the category functionality completely, there really wasn't much choice involved. I certainly would not have held up moving the forum to the new software because of that one issue. I already did wait some time due to other issues that they ultimately resolved (which is why we are running version 3.0.2 of the software and not 3.0.0. And 3.0.3 will be out shortly, which fixes another 90 bugs as I write this).

As for old entries getting their formatting stripped out, not sure what happened there. I looked through all your blog entries and it looks like only ones from 2005 were affected (not sure if this is also true with Nathan's). Something probably changed in the software around that time, and for whatever reason the script that rebuild all the bbcodes (the same script run on all 1.8 million posts in the forum) must not have processed those old entries correctly. I haven't had time yet to go look on Invision's site to see if others have complained about this, but I will. If you want access to the old forum so you can copy and paste entries, rather than fixing them by hand (if you even care), please let me know.

Regarding the date thing, yes, I am going to fix that in a bit.

..Al