IGNORED

Forum Upgrade Complete!

Albert

"My posts" only shows the last 200. Is that going to be the limit now?

I'm not sure why they picked that arbitrary limit of 200, except for performance reasons. If I can verify that this query is using the (much faster) Sphinx search engine, then I'll bump it up to a higher number.

..Al

When I'm on my profile page and I click "View New Content" it shows me a list of the new users. That just seems weird to me. In my mind it should show a list of the new posts instead.

Ahhh, yes. Basically the search system tries to be "context sensitive" in that it will return results based on where you are in the forum. If you're looking at the member list or a user's profile page, the "View New Content" query will show you any new users who have registered since you're last visit. If you're in the Blogs, it'll search against the Blogs, and so forth. As Wickey said, you can just click on the "Forums" tab in that case and it'll run the same keyword search against the forums.

Originally, Invision was designing the system so you'd get combined search results from all the various modules in the system. They ran into some difficulty with this and pulled it out at some point. I'm sure it'll make it back in, as it was quite nice. You'd see new blog entries, new gallery images, new posts, and so forth all within the same results. This feature also allowed them to show a user's recent activity on their profile page, which was also quite nice.

..Al

It's probably been asked and I missed it, but can the notification boxes, like Recently Added Topics, which take up about 1/4 of the page on the right hand side of the forum index page, be disabled in individual user settings?

If you click the arrow that's right above those boxes, it will hide them. This is stored in a cookie so it'll remember that setting on your next visit (at least on the same computer).

..Al

I didn't exhaustively test "My Posts", so I'd greatly appreciate if others would hammer on it a bit. It seems to be working for me.

Ah, thanks, so I found this thread again :lol:

One issue though, the results aren't sorted properly, it looks like some funky newsrank formula or maybe not at all. They should of course be sorted by the "Last Post Info" field:

sort.PNG

Ok that's great! :D - the fonts and blue bar at the top of every post is now smaller - that's less wasted space and more familar. :)

I guess it's my very slow loading internet connection, but whenever I go to a page to type a PM or post there are some fast blinking yellow/orange boxes that appear at the top right of the page for a half-a-second or so. Looks like they are drop down menus for my username & start new topic buttons.

If you go straight to your inbox instead, you can click on the small Combat tank icon for any messages with new posts to jump directly to the first unread post

I don't see a combat icon, where are they located in messenger? I see an outlaw that was shot and sitting on the ground? next to each message & a berzerk guy I think.

While typing this I have to wait for my some of my letters to show up, things are still slow. (course it could be my pc)

Edited by ovalbugmann

I have to say it's ok.. if you're looking for complaints though I guess my one single one at this point is the fonts just seem so "thinly" looking and even light colored. Maybe it's just me.

Overall they should be the same exact font and size as before. However, some of the links are not bold where they were on the old forum. I am going to make another pass over the skin later today and fix that particular issue to match the skin closer to the previous one. One thing I noticed is the font size in many of the edit boxes is too small, so that needs to be fixed. I have a big list of items to hit while I go through this next pass. :)

..Al

I guess it's my very slow loading internet connection, but whenever I go to a page to type a PM or post there are some fast blinking yellow/orange boxes that appear at the top right of the page for a half-a-second or so. Looks like they are drop down menus for my username & start new topic buttons.

This could be one or two things. First, there's still a resource-intensive script running in the background slowing things down and I haven't enabled various caching methods, which will also speed things up a fair bit. Once that script finishes, things should settle down. The other thing is the new forum uses more Javascript, so it's best to use a more recent browser with a fast JS engine. What are you running?

I don't see a combat icon, where are they located in messenger? I see an outlaw that was shot and sitting on the ground? next to each message & a berzerk guy I think.

When you get a new PM and follow the "Messenger" link, you should be taken to the "New" folder in your Inbox. This will display any conversations with new messages, and this is where you will see the combat icon allowing you to go to the first new post in any given conversation. Once you've caught up on a conversation, it will disappear from the "New" folder and you can view it in the "My Conversations" (it also would be in the "My Conversations" folder, the "New" folder is just to make it easy to find unread conversations).

..Al