IGNORED

Emulators on a Toshiba Libretto?

mimo

The Libretto is a cool little laptop (and I mean little - its about the size of a VHS cassette). I have one with the plug in floppy and CD drive. I've never tried an emulator on it as I only have Win98 on mine. It has something like a P175 processor and only 16MB of RAM. You can sometimes get the RAM expansion (up to 32MB max) on ebay but they can be pricey. I'll try out ProSystem and the like on it in the week and let you know.

• Like 1

The Libretto is a cool little laptop (and I mean little - its about the size of a VHS cassette). I have one with the plug in floppy and CD drive. I've never tried an emulator on it as I only have Win98 on mine. It has something like a P175 processor and only 16MB of RAM. You can sometimes get the RAM expansion (up to 32MB max) on ebay but they can be pricey. I'll try out ProSystem and the like on it in the week and let you know.

cool, been doing some reading, it seems the win2k is possible, and some linux distros are also possible, but sound's pretty involved

Ouch, with onlhy 16M (or was it 32M) of ram, that's going to be the real question. I got an older desktop that's got a 233mhz processor and runs 98 at 64M, and I ran most 8 bits fine, but couldn't quiet do 16. :/ But then, different computer entierly, so who knows?

100ct

So that's an Intel Pentium 166 MHz.

z26 should work fast enough on that one. I had a P120 and almost all games worked at full speed. Not sure how efficient Stella is, but maybe without special TV effects it might work too.

thanks for your reply Thomas

• 2 weeks later...

100ct

Cool, I use exactly the same machine to code my emulators :)

I run my apple lisa emulator at nearly full speed on this machine but the Ram size is a problem.

Some atari ST emulators may run at full speed, especially minimalistic ones (ie castaway for example (I used

the CPU core of this emulator for some time)).

For mame or MESS, try to compile only some machines to lower the size of the exe, also use fullscreen low resolution modes.

For linux, the DSL (damn small linux) runs well on the libretto and does not need a specific partition.

WIN98 is fast, but win2k can be a better choice (only if you have 64Mb).

What, a netbook's not small enough for you? It's certainly a lot more powerful!

Some newer netbook seems interesting... but I now used the libretto for 4 years... I also have a Panasonic CFT2 (12inches pentiumM 800) but libretto is better in transports.

Lastly... I don't have enough money to buy a new computer for now...

• 7 months later...

Just dug my Libretto 70CT out and Commando on ProSystem 1.3e is barely playable even using 256 colour mode. Sound is very jittery too. I compared it against my latest optimised version of ProSystem and it fairs slightly better on that. However, there is no FPS counter for a side by side comparison.

I have very good to mint cond libretto perfect lcd and keyboard with external dvd drive, wireless network card, power supply, case, win98 disc and a battery that holds a charge that i want to get rid of if anyone is interested pm me. I haven't tried any emulators, but it runs Doom, Wolfenstein, and other gamesfrom that era very well. I assume it could run old emulators from 95/96 pretty well, so you could prob get a NES, atari 800/5200, or c64 emu that would work if you look hard enough.

• 1 month later...

I have 3, 100ct and 2 70ct. Personally I use a custom build linux distro(gentoo or debian).

However the best way to get max power on an emulator, besides linux I think would be running freeDos:

http://www.freedos.org/

and get a dos based emulator.

PM sent.

Hey, if it'll run doom, that's pretty good (yeah, it's an old game, but for it's time it was a pretty demanding game too)

You certainly won't run SNES emulators on a setup like that, but you should be able to run Nesticle alright.