IGNORED

What homebrew projects would you like to see, and for what system?

Or the 4000th thread requesting a better 2600 DK. :roll:

Yeah but as long as there are newbies to Atari Age, the 4001st thread on "Donkey Kong Arcade" for the 2600 is going to be written.

If I'm a topic starter, I'm guilty (as I think most are) of not searching to see if there is an existing topic before posting.

How about explaining why Donkey Kong Arcade is not possible? It is brought up all the time. Everyone wants Donkey Kong Arcade and Donkey Kong, Jr. Arcade, but they has not been accomplished. Why?

Yeah but as long as there are newbies to Atari Age, the 4001st thread on "Donkey Kong Arcade" for the 2600 is going to be written.

If I'm a topic starter, I'm guilty (as I think most are) of not searching to see if there is an existing topic before posting.

How about explaining why Donkey Kong Arcade is not possible? It is brought up all the time. Everyone wants Donkey Kong Arcade and Donkey Kong, Jr. Arcade, but they has not been accomplished. Why?

It's certainly possible. The only reason it hasn't been accomplished is simply because nobody has done it. If somebody was sufficiently motivated they could do it, it would just take a lot of time.

Even if someone wanted to do it, a big deterrent with Donkey Kong is that Nintendo would probably get legal on it pretty quick. That's enough to make many people prefer to spend their time elsewhere.

It's certainly possible. The only reason it hasn't been accomplished is simply because nobody has done it. If somebody was sufficiently motivated they could do it, it would just take a lot of time.

Even if someone wanted to do it, a big deterrent with Donkey Kong is that Nintendo would probably get legal on it pretty quick. That's enough to make many people prefer to spend their time elsewhere.

Can't see why doing a port would cause trouble with Nintendo personally. You only have to look at what Sock Master did by porting the actual Arcade version of DK to the coco 3. He actually translated the game logic code from the Z80 to the 6809 based computer.

Look on Youtube and you will see videos of this game running on the coco 3. You can't tell me that Nintendo has not seen this copy being plastered all over the net.

Here's the url link to the coco 3 screenshots.

http://www.axess.com/twilight/sock/dk/index.html

And this is the game that really put Nintendo on the world map for arcade games.

So someone must be game and see if it could be done on the 2600 or any other Atari computer. As long as it is free and not sold I cannot see a problem.

laters

Briza

Can't see why doing a port would cause trouble with Nintendo personally. You only have to look at what Sock Master did by porting the actual Arcade version of DK to the coco 3.

Depends on the size of the fish...if I seduced a few hundred thousand into buying a $30 port of Donkey Kong for the ColecoVision - yeah, that's a problem and not ethical.

I don't know what the profit is on a prod run of 50 carts at $40 a pop but I hear it's "not much." In that case of a small fish it will co$t Nintendo more to just have a cease and desist issued...

But, as we speak Mario Bros. for the ColecoVision is slated to be released soon and Opcode is actively working on the Donkey Kong Arcade port for the ColecoVision. I'm not clear if the latter will require the Opgrade Module or not - there are separate threads on AA discussing this.

I thought Champ Programming ran into this problem porting classics to the PC? If memory serves, I bought a bunch of their games (Donkey Kong and Pac-Man) off their site back in the 90s and later found their site shutdown. I thought they ran into legal issues with copyrights etc...

I went to this person's site but a quick skim didn't confirm this

http://www.champ-em.com/index.htm

Nothing.

My answer is due to programmers are not big on making homebrew games off someone's wish list of games. Homebrewers feel that people that are doing the requests should be developing the games they want.

I don't want to do anything with programing including developing games because of my experience as sophomore in high school. I don't want to do any Atari 7800 homebrew games and I not bothering making a list of games as a result.

I was interested in computer programing as teen since I was great in math as a teen and I took a class in computer programming as a sophomore in High school as a result. I throw away big 5 1/4 floppy disks since I don't have Apple II and I am no longer interest in programming. I also threw away all the information my teacher gave me several years ago on computer programing because I have no need for it.

I struggled getting half of the programs I did in class to work for the Apple II and I was getting C's in that class as a result.

I don't want to go into mentioning in what happened during my experience programming class assignments. It is sore spot for to this day and that class prevented going straight A's in two different mark periods during that school year.

Edited by 8th lutz

Nothing.

My answer is due to programmers are not big on making homebrew games off someone's wish list of games. Homebrewers feel that people that are doing the requests should be developing the games they want.

This thread is not a wish list for developers, it is a thread for us to discuss amongst ourselves, game/ port/ mod/ brews that we have thought of..

And a few developers have confirmed they arent bothered if people discuss ideas, as even a couple of projects have come from just such forums.

If developers had such a problem with it, they could simply just not look at threads that suggest ideas.

• Like 1

There are several Intellivision titles I would like to see on the ColecoVision. Utopia is at the top of my list (and is also on my homebrew to-do list), but other candidates include:

- Advanced Dungeons & Dragons Cartridge

- Advanced Dungeons & Dragons - Treasure of Tarmin

- Armor Battle (or something similar, the CV needs a good versus tank battle game. Tank Wars just doesn't cut it.)

- Bomb Squad (minus the voice synthesis, obviously, but that could be replaced with on-screen text.)

- Demon Attack (the boss encounter alone is worth the price of admission!)

- The Dreadnaught Factor (vertical scrolling would perhaps be preferable, like in the Atari 5200 version.)

- Lock 'n' Chase (just porting the arcade game would probably be a much better idea...)

- Microsurgeon (the TI-99/4A version would perhaps be better as a blueprint for a CV version.)

- Pinball (with three boards, it looks like a good pinball candidate for the ColecoVision.)

- Sea Battle

- Swords and Serpents

- Thin Ice

- Tower of Doom

Aside from Intellivision conversions, one thing that would be cool to have on the ColecoVision is a multicart that would reproduce the old Coleco Telstar games. Most Telstar models were just Pong variants, but the Telstar Arcade offered a lot more variety, and the Telstar Combat was just plain cool (for the time). :)

Edited by Pixelboy

There are several Intellivision titles I would like to see on the ColecoVision. Utopia is at the top of my list (and is also on my homebrew to-do list), but other candidates include:

- Advanced Dungeons & Dragons Cartridge

- Advanced Dungeons & Dragons - Treasure of Tarmin

- Armor Battle (or something similar, the CV needs a good versus tank battle game. Tank Wars just doesn't cut it.)

- Bomb Squad (minus the voice synthesis, obviously, but that could be replaced with on-screen text.)

- Demon Attack (the boss encounter alone is worth the price of admission!)

- The Dreadnaught Factor (vertical scrolling would perhaps be preferable, like in the Atari 5200 version.)

- Lock 'n' Chase (just porting the arcade game would probably be a much better idea...)

- Microsurgeon (the TI-99/4A version would perhaps be better as a blueprint for a CV version.)

- Pinball (with three boards, it looks like a good pinball candidate for the ColecoVision.)

- Sea Battle

- Swords and Serpents

- Thin Ice

- Tower of Doom

Aside from Intellivision conversions, one thing that would be cool to have on the ColecoVision is a multicart that would reproduce the old Coleco Telstar games. Most Telstar models were just Pong variants, but the Telstar Arcade offered a lot more variety, and the Telstar Combat was just plain cool (for the time). :)

Dreadnaught Factor, Tower of Doom, and AD&D Treasure of Tarmin, would all definitely be AWESOME to see on Coleco.

Tower of Doom is so much fun! Im sure between this game and D&D is where a lot of inspiration for modern games like Diablo came from.

Forgetting for a minute that I am a programmer... as a CV fan I would like to see:

- Remakes of games like Donkey Konkey, Zaxxon and Mr Do!, Gyruss

- A Castlevania game

- A game based on the TRON movie, but not exactly the arcade game

- Ports of such neo-classic arcade games like Arkanoid, Commando, Jackal, Gradius/Salamander, Tiger Heli

- Ports of classic games like Zookeeper, Pole Position, Xevious, Galaga, Vanguard, Phoenix, Elevator Action, Moon Patrol

- A few vector games like Tempest and Star Wars

- A few MSX ports too...

Back to programmer mode, people who attended the Monroe-A-Palooza gaming party this weekend had the chance to play Donkey Kong Arcade first hand, as well as Knightmare and Goonies...

http://picasaweb.google.com/DualScreenRadio/MAP09#5375972577186050722 (shown is Knightmare)

• 2 weeks later...

I would love to see this one ported to CV. The 2600 version plays alright but falls short on the graphics to no surprise...

I see CollectorVision is listing Lock N Chase as an upcoming release...

I'm trying to drum up support for someone to complete Death Race for the CV - that would be awesome!

I used to like Make Trax; I bet that would be a cinch to make on Atari 2600.

I'd like to see Spectar on Atari 2600, and Bagman on the Intellivision.

I've also dreamed of a sequel to Snafu on the Inty, where you could surround power up icons that would let you speed up, or shoot at other players, etc.

A graphically superior and more arcade-faithful Tutankamn for the 2600 would be nice.