IGNORED

Boulderdash II 25th Anniversary edition

Tezz

To celebrate the 25th anniversary of the Boulderdash series in 2009 I decided it was a good time to make a cosmetically enhanced patched version of Boulderdash II as I've thought about in the past. I've always liked the intro to BDII and the nice colour version of the c64 so I decided to recreate the intro from scratch on the A8 to be enhanced in colour also. I learnt more about MADS too in the process of working on this project and much thanks goes to Tebe for his assistance with my coding and patching of the game.

Enjoy ;)

post-4724-125114200589_thumb.png

post-4724-125114201493_thumb.png

Boulderdash_II_25th_Anniversary.zip

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It's a good thing I don't have an Atari emulator on my PC at work - I'd never get anything done. 2 more hours before I can view this :(

:) I must admit to spending time when I should be working .. reminds me of an old msdos game where you could press tab when the boss walks by to appear as though you're working on Lotus123.

It's a good thing I don't have an Atari emulator on my PC at work - I'd never get anything done. 2 more hours before I can view this :(

:) I must admit to spending time when I should be working .. reminds me of an old msdos game where you could press tab when the boss walks by to appear as though you're working on Lotus123.

Wow, that goes back a LOONNGG way in time. I know what you mean about not working. I fixed my pacmania machine today instead of working. I'm the owner so little happens but I do try to set a good example (except for today!)

That title screen looks great. I'd always hoped someone would also re-program the game so the main character (was his name rockford?) would be a multicolored player instead of being being a character set graphic. I don't know why, but it used to bug me that his color changed with each new level.

Bob

:thumbsup:

Excellent update - congrats. However I'm supposed to be squishing bugs in a new website build but now I'm playing Boulderdash!!! Oh well ... ;)

Do you work in IT spookt? I was debugging some new web code at work myself when I saw this message. It's still in DEV though, so those bugs don't count.

Stephen Anderson

That title screen looks great. I'd always hoped someone would also re-program the game so the main character (was his name rockford?) would be a multicolored player instead of being being a character set graphic. I don't know why, but it used to bug me that his color changed with each new level.

Bob

The color additions look really good. Thanks Tezz.

Bob, I have always felt the same way too. Where are the PM graphics?? Another question is: Why does a game in antic 4 use only 4 colors here?? That 5th color would make a world of difference... I'm actually kinda surprised that nobody has hacked it in.

:thumbsup:

Excellent update - congrats. However I'm supposed to be squishing bugs in a new website build but now I'm playing Boulderdash!!! Oh well ... ;)

Do you work in IT spookt? I was debugging some new web code at work myself when I saw this message. It's still in DEV though, so those bugs don't count.

Stephen Anderson

Yep, I'm a systems engineer at a telecoms company (posh name for sysadmin). The web work I do is mainly separate from that though, for small local organisations mainly.

...I'm a systems engineer at a telecoms company (posh name for sysadmin). The web work I do is mainly separate from that though, for small local organisations mainly.

Drools in envy... :) Even though I'm a total computer head I've always been stuck in office admin jobs (and the person everyone asks to fix PC problems prior to phoning the IT department). I did a degree in English when I should probably have done one in IT. I need the certificates... I'm losing my current job in three weeks' time and am considering looking for a part time job and doing an ICT course at college. Unemployment in the IT sector is at an all time high at the moment, though. Hopefully things will pick up soon!

Anyway, the Boulderdash update is terrific: very well done!

Edited by flashjazzcat

I think I found a small bug in your re-work of the program. If you don't start the game from title screen, the computer will demo play the first level after about a minute. The problem is, in the original game after the demo level is played, the computer goes back to the title screen. In your version, the program hangs in the transition screen between levels and never gets back to the title screen.

Bob

I think I found a small bug in your re-work of the program. If you don't start the game from title screen, the computer will demo play the first level after about a minute. The problem is, in the original game after the demo level is played, the computer goes back to the title screen. In your version, the program hangs in the transition screen between levels and never gets back to the title screen.

Bob

That's pretty good; on my Atari 800, it didn't even work at all. I must have a unique Atari 800 as I keep finding things that nobody else has noticed (thus far).

3. Can't seem to run it from APE. It hangs forever after the medallion screen.

I'm having the same hanging problem, but I can't get it to run from Atari800Win. I've tried NTSC/PAL, OS-B and XL/XE, 64k/128k, nothing. Stuck on the Medallion. Nice medallion, tho!

Cheers,

Smeg

...That's odd. I hit F1 (supposed to be the HELP key) and the game started. I kept hitting F2 (start)... silly me. :)

Edited by Atari Smeghead

1. This looks really awesome. Good work!

2. I agree that Rockford should have been done in players.

3. Can't seem to run it from APE. It hangs forever after the medallion screen.

Hit space after the medallion screen and it will then load the game. You cannot use the PC-Mirror function of APE though. Boot into DOS 2.5 (MyDos 4.53 wouldn't work), load the game via the "L" command.

Stephen Anderson