IGNORED

Matthew Ratcliff (Mat*Rat)

tjb

I can't get anything to load from the 1050 disk drive. I'm not 100% sure I'm doing it right. Is there a guide someone can point me towards, atari dos for dummies or something like that. I had the console turned off, powered on the 1050, waited for the busy light to go away. Inserted the disk operating disk master II, powered on the console. Just did the same thing it always does, says ready. Is there a prompt or some other type of indication that it loaded correctly? Do I need to disable atari basic first? I've also tried loading several .bas files with no luck. Just says error 130. Which I think is a drive not found error. Thanks again everyone for your help.

Here's the quick manual for the 1050 drive.

http://www.atarimania.com/documents/Atari_1050_Disk_Drive_Owners_Guide.pdf

Allan

It's a Rana Systems 1000. I'll try messing with it some more in the next couple of weeks. I have to go out of town for work for a little bit and I'm going to be busy this weekend with painting the house. On a side note I got a commodore 1702 monitor from a friend to use the 800xl on so thats exciting. Not sure if it works or not tho.

Kevin was kind enough to help me try to figure out the issue. I tried both drives, the 1050 and the Rana. Had all the switches in the correct places, tried different sio cables in case that was the issue but nothing seemed to work. He thinks its a computer issue. I'll try taking it apart and cleaning it, carefully, if that doesn't do the trick, I'll probably have to try sending it off for repair.

Edited by ratinthehat86

the drive are lighting up and spinning when the power switches are flipped on I hope? Sometimes if you plug into the wall before plugging in to the drive it blows the fuse inside the adapter block.

The 800, carefully open the top and lift up the cards slightly and push back in one at a time... be careful as you dad may have hard wired thing to those cards... we just want to gently reseat the cards and not disturb any thing he might have modified...

Then power on and maybe it's all better again...

Last thing to check, drive belts... make sure they haven't slipped off or broken...

Edited by _The Doctor__

Thanks Doc I'll check that out. He had a degree in electrical engineering so I'm sure e would have been more than comfortable doing something like that. I'll try to get to that this weekend.

If I didn't say it already (I think I meant to but never did), I knew your dad's name from 30 or so years ago. It's awesome how you have come into some of his possessions and found this forum. If You need help restoring any of your/his gear, I'll gladly do it for free.

• Like 5

the drive are lighting up and spinning when the power switches are flipped on I hope? Sometimes if you plug into the wall before plugging in to the drive it blows the fuse inside the adapter block.

The 800, carefully open the top and lift up the cards slightly and push back in one at a time... be careful as you dad may have hard wired thing to those cards... we just want to gently reseat the cards and not disturb any thing he might have modified...

Then power on and maybe it's all better again...

Last thing to check, drive belts... make sure they haven't slipped off or broken...

Yes, the drive is spinning. I tried two different drives and I had the same result with both, but they do appear to be working. I took the 800xl apart and gave it a general cleaning with air duster. By cards I assume you mean the black chips? I took out and put back as many as I felt comfortable doing. The pins on them seem very fragile and I didn't want to risk bending or breaking any of them so I just did the large ones. In the end there was no difference. Still black and white, still not accessing the disc drive.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so there's actually an update to the story. I took the computer apart to try to reset the chips, and on the bottom side of the case under the mother board there was a piece of tape with a name written on it. It was one of my dad's old friends that I had completely forgotten about because I hadn't seen him in about 20 years. I went to white pages and found his number and called him up. As it turns out my dad had given him all his old atari stuff. After a while he gave it to the youth pastor of his church to use at a retro themed party they were having. Then the church put it in their rummage sale. Then it went to craigslist, and then to my buddy that owns the game store, then to me.

• Like 3

• 2 years later...

Hmmm,

if you have these pics as Koala pictures you can use a simple Gr.15 to COM/XEX converter, written in Atari Basic (converts uncompressed and compressed Gr. 15 pics). The XEX files will then have a length of 66 sectors or approx. 8kbytes and not 20kbytes as in the Rasta thread...

You can find the program here: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/262941-miner-2049er-title-screen/page-2?do=findComment&comment=3712894

(post #36)

• Like 1

• 5 years later...

Well, this thread was from before I really dove back into real 8-bit hardware and had done much more than dipped my toe in the ocean that is the AtariAge forums. It's kind of sad that this one sort of died off without Charlie having much luck accessing his Dad's old stuff. Still, it was a very interesting and heart-warming read.

• Like 1

On 12/27/2014 at 12:54 AM, ratinthehat86 said:

Ok so there's actually an update to the story. I took the computer apart to try to reset the chips, and on the bottom side of the case under the mother board there was a piece of tape with a name written on it. It was one of my dad's old friends that I had completely forgotten about because I hadn't seen him in about 20 years. I went to white pages and found his number and called him up. As it turns out my dad had given him all his old atari stuff. After a while he gave it to the youth pastor of his church to use at a retro themed party they were having. Then the church put it in their rummage sale. Then it went to craigslist, and then to my buddy that owns the game store, then to me.

Did you need help to get everything working again? Or things recovered? Many are very good at both.

9 minutes ago, _The Doctor__ said:

Did you need help to get everything working again? Or things recovered? Many are very good at both.

It's doubtful that he'll see it. That post was from '14 and his last ever post to any of the forums was in '15. Still, stranger things have happened. It would be interesting to see this one revived.

From the year that his dad passed and him mentioning that he was 13, that'd have him around 37 now. He could very well be highly involved in career and family raising. We all went through those stages and found our way back to our Atari's, maybe he'll do the same.

• Like 3