IGNORED

Duck Attack! - new Atari 2600 homebrew (NTSC & PAL)

e1will

Are copies of this game still available? I wanted to buy one at CGE but I ran out of cash. (lol, Vegas!)

Yep! I haven't added the new games to the store yet, but there are details on how to obtain them here:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/166988-cge-releases-and-aa-t-shirts-available-for-purchase/

Duck Attack! is a fantastic game, I highly recommend it. :)

..Al

• Like 1

I mentioned this in another thread, but I'm working on a $15 ROM pack that will include the cartridge version of the Duck Attack! game binaries, some alternate versions (like the all-green St. Patrick's Day version), a big ol' behind-the-scenes document with early prototype screenshots, the manual, and a game world map.

It's entirely optional, of course. I'll keep a basic version of the game binaries posted online so people can play for free if they're inclined. (And the manual, of course, will stay online, so people can figure out how to play it.)

The ROM pack is really more of an experiment than anything: is there demand for a digital "extras" package on a 2600 homebrew, or are people satisfied with a free binary and/or buying a cartridge? I dunno. But I'm curious.

If you've got any suggestions for other cool stuff that ought to be in the ROM pack, let me know.

Anyway, here's a sneak peak of one page of the game world map.

--Will

post-23222-128156955933_thumb.png

• 3 years later...

Duck Attack! got a nice write-up from The A.V. Club recently:

Back from the dead: 9 modern games for obsolete consoles

http://www.avclub.com/article/back-from-the-dead-9-modern-games-for-obsolete-con-105772

“It’s a wholly modern 2600 game that’s actually fun and as awesomely weird as old 2600 games like Frankenstein’s Monster. Rather than control a duck, you’re in control of a robot who invades a mad scientist’s lab and tries to destroy his army of fire-breathing, nuclear-egg-laying mallards. Both the ducks and the robot are crafted with an impressive amount of detail for the 2600, somehow coaxing a new look out of an ancient machine.”

Halo 2600 also gets a mention.

I just sent an email regarding the rom pack. How is the status of the other atari games on your website?

-mike

Email received, ROM pack sent... thanks!

Not much progress on those other games, I'm afraid... but I may have some time in 2014 to tinker with them.

• 4 months later...

I got up to level 3 today. When I first played this game, I wasn't sure what to do. Once I figured out that different eggs opened up different doors and that the levels were continuos this opened up the game for me. I'm super impressed with the gameplay, the nods to other 2600 games, and the general scope of this title. If you haven't picked up a copy (either digital or cart) I would whole heartedly recommend doing so. Great job on this game!

-mike

• Like 1

I reached level 7 today and couldn't go any farther cause I couldn't find the eggs. Is level 9 the last level and the game resets to level 1 after that?

Nope, there are new rooms to explore up to level 12, and after that you can keep playing up to level 255 and beyond. The ducks get a lot meaner after level 12, though.

• 1 year later...

Duck Attack! is really a fantastic homebrew game that doesn't get enough attention.

..Al

Yeah, it took me a while to get into it because it seems complicated and difficult at first. It doesn't really take that long to figure out though and is worth the time invested. It's a lot like Adventure with carrying items (two this time) and problem solving. The object seems to be more "getting to the next level" than "winning the game" like in Adventure. It's challenging and fun. I am wondering if there is a way to save the game since it does get kind of long having to go through levels 1-5 before I get to the "new part" that I'm currently learning. I will have to try the level select again and see if that would work just as well as saving the game would.

I am wondering if there is a way to save the game since it does get kind of long having to go through levels 1-5 before I get to the "new part" that I'm currently learning. I will have to try the level select again and see if that would work just as well as saving the game would.

Yes, if you have an AtariVox or SaveKey, you can save your in-game progress and return to it later. As well as high scores. :)

..Al

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...