IGNORED

Got jacked by a side deal (again)

ericwierson

I was bidding on a Phoenix cocktail table arcade machine located in Sacramento. I am pretty sure I would have won if the guy would not have done a side deal. E-Bay is screwing up on this side deal stuff. I was buying it for my mom (truth). Anyone else see this auction? I don't have the link as the auction disappeared from my buying list.

Edited by ericwierson

I was bidding on a Phoenix cocktail table arcade machine located in Sacramento. I am pretty sure I would have won if the guy would not have done a side deal. E-Bay is screwing up on this side deal stuff. I was buying it for my mom (truth). Anyone else see this auction? I don't have the link as the auction disappeared from my buying list.

I am not defending the seller but many people that put coin-ops on Ebay also have them listed locally on Craigslist. After it sits on CL for months with no takers they will pop it on Ebay to see what the market decides it is worth....well, sure enough the second you do that someone will respond to your Craigslist ad and give you the full asking price. I have ended coin op auctions early because of that but I always list in the auction that it is for sale locally and can end at any time.

I am not defending the seller but many people that put coin-ops on Ebay also have them listed locally on Craigslist. After it sits on CL for months with no takers they will pop it on Ebay to see what the market decides it is worth....well, sure enough the second you do that someone will respond to your Craigslist ad and give you the full asking price. I have ended coin op auctions early because of that but I always list in the auction that it is for sale locally and can end at any time.

This guy did not say whether or not it was listed locally. I always look for that when I bid, and listed locally was not part of item description. One thing I can't figure is why people list stuff and side deal halfway through the auction. As far as I am concerned, I would have more than likely paid more than their side deal. I use E-Bay all the time, because there is no one else, and I have been shady dealed many times. You would think E-Bay could figure this out. Anyway, I have ranted long enough. Thanks for the response though. By the way (Crazy Climber) I just bought a Crazy Climber arcade coin-op. It is, and was, one of my favorite games growing up. I used to play at the bowling alley by dads house.

I can definitely understand your frustration, but look at it from the buyer's point of view. If he can sell it locally and not have to deal with the hassle of crating that beast up and shipping it via some freight service, they are probably going to do so even if they could have squeezed a bit more money out of it by letting the auction go to completion.

Chris

If it disappeared from your buying list, then eBay yanked the auction for some reason, and your conclusion of there being a side deal is unfounded.

If it disappeared from your buying list, then eBay yanked the auction for some reason, and your conclusion of there being a side deal is unfounded.

Why would it be on my buying list if I could no longer buy it? As you seem to be an E-Bay expert, is there any way to find the auction again?

Edited by ericwierson

I can definitely understand your frustration, but look at it from the buyer's point of view. If he can sell it locally and not have to deal with the hassle of crating that beast up and shipping it via some freight service, they are probably going to do so even if they could have squeezed a bit more money out of it by letting the auction go to completion.

Chris

Coin ops are definetily one of those items where if you have a person ready to buy with cash right now...you sell! Not only is it a total bitch to ship them, coin ops and pinballs are the number one item I have had people flake on me when it comes time to pay for it. It's just one of those items people want to own but when it comes down to it, they have no way to get it home or no place to put it, etc.. I sold a 3 player Super Off Road in August 08 and the guy just picked it up in July! That was almost a year it sat in my garage! In his defense he did pay in full after the auction but that was just one of many problems I have had selling arcade games.

Why would it be on my buying list if I could no longer buy it? As you seem to be an E-Bay expert, is there any way to find the auction again?

If it ended early (or normally), and you had a bid on it, it would still be in your Didn't Win list.

When they yank one, it's as if it never existed, so it diappears from all lists.

However, usually when eBay yanks an auction, it notifies anyone who had bids in. So I don't know what the scoop is.

All I can say is, keep searching, maybe they'll relist it.

If it ended early (or normally), and you had a bid on it, it would still be in your Didn't Win list.

When they yank one, it's as if it never existed, so it diappears from all lists.

However, usually when eBay yanks an auction, it notifies anyone who had bids in. So I don't know what the scoop is.

All I can say is, keep searching, maybe they'll relist it.

Yeah, it is not on my did not win list. You must be right about E-Bay yanking it. Guy had perfect F.B.