IGNORED

Game Core September 12th 2009 Oaks Pa NEW ATARI GAME RELEASE

TMGPaul

Hey Everyone I don't know why I haven't posted here about this so I am doing it now

Game Core www.gamecorecon.com is a new convention after me and chuck stopped doing TMG I decided to keep it going. Other than the press release the only thing I want to point out is Good Deal Games will be releasing a new Atari 2600 game called Shield Shifter at Game Core.

Here is our press release check the website for more info.

PHILADELPHIA, Pa. - August 20, 2009 - Game Core, presents its 1st Bi-annual video game show at the The Greater Philadelphia Expo Center at Oaks (www.phillyexpocenter.com) on Saturday, September 12th, 2009. The event features fun for all video game enthusiasts, including video games, 8-Bit Art, CCG's, Table Top Games, and other memorabilia.

The show will feature live music acts such as MC Lars and YT Cracker, and others, as well as a Guitar Hero Competition with a huge Guitar and Amp package as the featured prize. Video game tournaments will also be held with popular choices, such as Super Smash Brothers, Halo 3, Wii Punchout, Fighting Games, Atari 2600 Kaboom, to name a few. As always the show will have its huge marketplace area with games from all generations from Atari to PS3 available to purchase as well as all sorts of other gaming related things.

Some of the other events happening this year are the Celebration of the Sega Dreamcasts 10th Birthday, There will be the Game Core Geek Cars including KITT from Knight Rider fame (The original not the new one).

Sponsoring the event is Sam Ash Music Stores, White Wolf, Games 2U, Destructoid an industry-wide video game blog, and many more. The full sponsor list can be found on the website.

Doors open at 10 a.m. and will stay open until 8 p.m. Admission is $10 at the door, or available for $8 by pre-registering online at: www.gamecorecon.com.

About Game Core

Game Core is not a new show but is really a show in its 5th year. Game Core has evolved from Too Many Games. Too Many Games was a show that ran 5 times in the Reading, PA area after it evolved from East Coast Gaming Expo an event that ran for 3 years in Reading, PA.

Game Core is just that, the Core of gaming. While we see the differences between people who play video games, Arcade games, role-playing games, miniature games, and others, we don't see it as a reason to keep them all separate. Game Core gathers the best of all types of gaming, and provides you the vendors, contests, tournaments, guests, and players you're looking to find. Whether you're hoping to see The Angry Video Game Nerd, or a Guitar Hero Tournament, or a Magic The Gathering Tournament, you can find them at Game Core!

"Game On"

Just found out today and after talking with Paul a little ago, there is a highly probable Possibility that Bean and I will be representing CTCW at the show. Working on small details like hotel and a place to stay right now and will let you guys know as soon as things are finalized. I really hope we're able to work something out (since it's short notice) but there is a booth available for us and that's a very good start! :)

I might as well announce here as well as my chat thread, that after long careful consideration and deliberation,I will be selling off a distinct majority of my collection for just about every system asap.

Some may know that in total, it is a massive amount and will be difficult to even inventory it all at one time.

I don't know if I will have anything cataloged and priced out by the time the Game Core show happens, but I hope to make a start with CTCW's permission at the booth there with system packages. I am not sure what I will do with the very rare games yet because of Bean's love of gaming. Members here will be notified first however in the likelihood that those are being sold off. I am keeping kiosks, demos, homebrews, betas, prototypes, repros, and multicarts for each system if possible as well as not parting with anything that was a gift whether it is a system, accessory, or a game.

The main catalyst for this is the fact that I have a lot of expenses right now especially for health reasons and Bean has only ever played on a swing set twice in her life by the age of 2 1/2 since there is no safe park within easy distance of here. I want to give her somewhere she can have fun, play and climb. She also loves sandboxes and I woudl like a place to sit near her and enjoy the outdoors as well. I have priced those out and am looking for a good sturdy safe one that can grow with her ie. overpriced as all hell. If you are ready for some sticker shock I would like to get something like this (not necessarily this one) - http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2993240 if there is enough room in the yard. With all the features it can even provide her a quiet place to do homework or have a camp out. I still even have a place I go to be alone and think and always wanted a fort or tree house growing up. I very much want this for her and watching her play those two time know she is going to love it.

Very few if any games are worth my daughter being able to have fun, be safe, and just be a child. I also have to recoup the cost of the hotel room I am going to have to rent first and foremost so she does not have to be stressed out from all the travel and activity. There are also a couple personal issues which some of you may be aware of.

I look forward to seeing hopefully a lot of you at the show!

Thank you very much!

Hey Chicky, looking forward to meeting you at Gamecore!

Most importantly is buy a playset that is safe. My wife is fanatical when it comes to that - toxins, safety etc...I see some folks gave the one you linked a bad review and even mentioned safety as an issue.

What we did is go to a place in our area that sells playsets and they'll deliver and install it for you. This will save some frustration and you will get someone experienced with installation as even a handyman will probably be uttering a few choice words.

Of course, back in the day we had rusty old playsets with lead paint and it didn't effect me any (yeah right!).

The main catalyst for this is the fact that I have a lot of expenses right now especially for health reasons and Bean has only ever played on a swing set twice in her life by the age of 2 1/2 since there is no safe park within easy distance of here. I want to give her somewhere she can have fun, play and climb. She also loves sandboxes and I woudl like a place to sit near her and enjoy the outdoors as well. I have priced those out and am looking for a good sturdy safe one that can grow with her ie. overpriced as all hell. If you are ready for some sticker shock I would like to get something like this (not necessarily this one) - http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2993240 if there is enough room in the yard. With all the features it can even provide her a quiet place to do homework or have a camp out. I still even have a place I go to be alone and think and always wanted a fort or tree house growing up. I very much want this for her and watching her play those two time know she is going to love it.

I have several people one of which is a roofer and general contractor that are willing to help me set it up if I pay them standard labor rates. It will cost a more but I know I'll have experienced individuals working on it who have worked on my home even. If I can afford this one which given teh cost is doubtful, I will need help.

Thanks!

The Ashford Swing Set by Big Backyard uses an arsenic-free premium playground lumber for added durability and safety.

Big Backyard warrants their products free from defect in materials and workmanship for a period of one year from the date of purchase. All pressure treated lumber is warranted for 10 years against rot and insect damage. All other parts, such as, hardware, swings, ride accessories, slides, canopies and non-pressure treated wood carry a one year warranty only. For questions, please call 1-877-966-3738.

I just saw the guitar and amp package were giving away and wow there awesome. They also told me there are going to be a guitar for 2nd and 3rd place! I was unaware. Also CTCW is giving away some Gift Certificates for the site as well as tons more prizes.

Miss chicky I am local so If you need a hand setting it up and what not just call me and well figure out how to get me over there.

Can somebody please get me a copy of the Atari 2600 game Shield Shifter... I will also pay for your time. Please PM me if you can make that happen for me.

Thanks- Wonder007

Hey Wonder,,

I'll be set up at the show and buying one of those Shield Shifters. If no one else steps up to the plate for ya I can call Paul and have him hold a copy for ya! Just pay me for the game and shipping nothing extra!! just let me know!

Matt

Hey Everyone I don't know why I haven't posted here about this so I am doing it now

Game Core www.gamecorecon.com is a new convention after me and chuck stopped doing TMG I decided to keep it going. Other than the press release the only thing I want to point out is Good Deal Games will be releasing a new Atari 2600 game called Shield Shifter at Game Core.

Here is our press release check the website for more info.

PHILADELPHIA, Pa. - August 20, 2009 - Game Core, presents its 1st Bi-annual video game show at the The Greater Philadelphia Expo Center at Oaks (www.phillyexpocenter.com) on Saturday, September 12th, 2009. The event features fun for all video game enthusiasts, including video games, 8-Bit Art, CCG's, Table Top Games, and other memorabilia.

The show will feature live music acts such as MC Lars and YT Cracker, and others, as well as a Guitar Hero Competition with a huge Guitar and Amp package as the featured prize. Video game tournaments will also be held with popular choices, such as Super Smash Brothers, Halo 3, Wii Punchout, Fighting Games, Atari 2600 Kaboom, to name a few. As always the show will have its huge marketplace area with games from all generations from Atari to PS3 available to purchase as well as all sorts of other gaming related things.

Some of the other events happening this year are the Celebration of the Sega Dreamcasts 10th Birthday, There will be the Game Core Geek Cars including KITT from Knight Rider fame (The original not the new one).

Sponsoring the event is Sam Ash Music Stores, White Wolf, Games 2U, Destructoid an industry-wide video game blog, and many more. The full sponsor list can be found on the website.

Doors open at 10 a.m. and will stay open until 8 p.m. Admission is $10 at the door, or available for $8 by pre-registering online at: www.gamecorecon.com.

About Game Core

Game Core is not a new show but is really a show in its 5th year. Game Core has evolved from Too Many Games. Too Many Games was a show that ran 5 times in the Reading, PA area after it evolved from East Coast Gaming Expo an event that ran for 3 years in Reading, PA.

Game Core is just that, the Core of gaming. While we see the differences between people who play video games, Arcade games, role-playing games, miniature games, and others, we don't see it as a reason to keep them all separate. Game Core gathers the best of all types of gaming, and provides you the vendors, contests, tournaments, guests, and players you're looking to find. Whether you're hoping to see The Angry Video Game Nerd, or a Guitar Hero Tournament, or a Magic The Gathering Tournament, you can find them at Game Core!

"Game On"

A little late as usual on my post reply , but I will be there , Making the trip in from Long Island .

You'll know it's me , 'cause I figure I'll be the OLDEST guy there !!!

The Old Guy ;) :D

Hey Everyone. Show is this week and I just wanted to give everyone an update on some of the highlights. Also dont forget you can save 2.00 if you pre reg your tickets on the website www.gamecorecon.com

- Huge marketplace with tons of games from all generations as well as geek crafts, art, collectibles and much more.

- Dreamcast 10th Birthday celebration including cupcakes and singing happy birthday, tournaments on dreamcast and more

- Game Core Geek Cars (Kitt from Knight Rider and a Delorean will be there)

- Guitar Hero Competition with a huge Guitar and Amp package as the 1st prize and guitars for 2nd and 3rd place also.

- Sound Bytes Live Game Music Concert Headlined by MC Lars and YT Cracker with Super 8 Bit Brothers, Armadillo Tank, Ultraball and more

- New Atari 2600 game Shield Shifter being released #'s 1-50

- Large Magic The Gathering tournaments type 1, type 2 booster draft and legacy

- Super Smash Brothers, Halo 3, Wii Punchout, and many other tournaments

- Sponsors include Sam Ash Music Stores, Destructoid, Nyko, Games2u, Nerd Rockstar Tshirts, White Wolf, Albotas.com and gamesniped.com

We wanted to buy a Rainbow swingset for my little boy two years ago but they started around $4,000. We ended up spending a little over $2,000 for an Oasis Playset #3. It was worth the cost. He loves to swing, lots of the neighborhood kids enjoy it and it's also sturdy enough for both my 10 and 14 year old.

That's too bad because I had 2 more $25 gift certificates to CTCW to give away and had only maybe 8 tickets max in each drawing I did do.I sorta look like my pic when I am not overly stressed.

Hope to see some of you! :love:

saw you at the ctcw booth. i didn't say hello or anything because girls make me nervous lol.

seriously though, i just popped in, grabbed myself a jag and shield shifter and left.

I played that Shield Shitter Shifter game up front...

Basically, it's like the last stage in Phoenix (2600 version without the birds) - you are blasting away through three layers of blocks to kill the thug who's moving left to right at the top of the screen and he's p00ping white missiles on you.

I killed the alien l00king guy at the top of the screen and then you rinse and repeat. It's repetitive and I walked away after the first stage.

How much were they asking for the cart?

OK, about the convention itself...

I liked it - nice setup. The kids liked Kit and the Delorean, playing the Wiis and the fact that vendors had more than just games so my daughter could get some fairy light thingee...Quarterarcade supplied the game cabinets like Moon Patrol, Galaxian, Make Trax and Stargate (those are the ones I played).

I don't recall how much I paid for Too Many Games back in May but I thought $10 to get in was steep. Maybe I'm just a tightwad. I know we have to pay our share for these gigs to happen but I thought maybe $7 would be about right. I was able to get my daughter in free. I mean c'mon - she's five years old - it's not like she's going to shake the video game market. Kids under a certain age should've been free - maybe 6 or 7 and under. I had no problems paying for my 7 year old because he's a video game fanatic.

As far as what I picked up from the show - it was slim pickins (for me - keep in mind we all collect different stuff). Partly because my want list is getting smaller but again Atari 7800 carts were few. I contacted a vendor before the show and he brought his C64 and Vectrex carts for me to take a look at. Other than him, nobody had C64 or Vectrex carts. There was a thin selection of ColecoVision carts throughout and a ton of NES. I don't collect anything newer than 7800/NES (I forget which console was released last). 2600 carts were also plentiful. You'll have to ask someone else about the newer stuff.

Anywho, I picked up about 1/2-dozen NES carts - three from the $2 bargain bin (1942, Commando and Defender II) ; Rip-Off Vectrex cart (I love that game); Popeye and Dig Dug C64 carts and about eight to ten 2600 carts like Kool-Aid Man, Mouse Trap (picture label), Reactor, Gorf, Omega Race and Wizard of Wor (I forget the others).

The volume of the loud speaker made my ears bleed. It seemed like there was an announcement every three minutes which itself wouldn't have been terrible had the volume been turned down a bit.

I look forward to the next show which I hope will be in Leesport next spring.

I had a good time. Wish I would've had some more cash to spend. I was glad there were people there selling MTG cards because I got some good deals. My friend and I played the heck out of Track and Field in the Quarter Arcade stand section. I definitely had a better time than I did at the last VGEXPO. Plus it was a short drive to get there. :) I hope they have it there again next year.

I played that Shield Shitter Shifter game up front...

Basically, it's like the last stage in Phoenix (2600 version without the birds) - you are blasting away through three layers of blocks to kill the thug who's moving left to right at the top of the screen and he's p00ping white missiles on you.

I killed the alien l00king guy at the top of the screen and then you rinse and repeat. It's repetitive and I walked away after the first stage.

How much were they asking for the cart?

$23. just the cart, not even an instruction sheet.i just bought it to have it. i've gotta say that the prehistoric times cart from the tmg con this spring is easily a better game.

as much as i enjoy going to these, theyre not totally my cup of tea. i don't care about anime so knock out half the vendors. i don't care about nes, and was dismayed that i saw alot of modern stuff.

the constant announcements and loud music HAS to go, its way too loud for a small area. i want to hear myself think and be able to actually hear the vendors.

i drove 90 minutes and was only there for like 30. i made a round or 2, decided i wanted a jag, found one and i was done.

i think i prefered the tmg show. it was smaller but the vendors had more room.

Edited by xg4bx

$23. just the cart, not even an instruction sheet.i just bought it to have it. i've gotta say that the prehistoric times cart from the tmg con this spring is easily a better game.

That's exactly what I thought...

the constant announcements and loud music HAS to go, its way too loud for a small area. i want to hear myself think and be able to actually hear the vendors.

Holy cow - every three minutes there was an announcement...it would've been nice to slip the dude a laxative so he could sit on the pot for a real long time and give us a well deserved break.

i drove 90 minutes and was only there for like 30. i made a round or 2, decided i wanted a jag, found one and i was done.

i think i prefered the tmg show. it was smaller but the vendors had more room.

We drove 90 minutes and were there for 90 minutes. TMG was only a little over an hour drive for me and I liked it much better. At least at TMG you didn't have that feeling of someone screaming in your ear every three minutes...

There weren't any classic tournaments at Gamecore either...

Tournament list:

11:00 a.m Nintendo 64 - 007

12:30 p.m Dreamcast - Crazy Taxi High Score

1:00 p.m Sega Saturn - Bomberman

2:00 p.m Dreamcast - Soul Calibur

2:30 p.m Xbox 360 - Guitar Hero 5 ($5.00 entry fee 1st place winner wins REAL guitar and amp package from Sam Ash)

3:30 p.m Dreamcast - Powerstone

4:00 p.m Wii - Punchout!

5:00 p.m Dreamcast - Marvel Vs. Capcom 2

A 9yr old won the GH tourney, lol.

I liked the venue though and he wasn't saying much if anything by the end of the day. Part of the problem was too much stuff at once I think. It was Paul's first show and while there were a lot of classic games and systems for sale, the crowds weren't there.

Was Paul the announcer in the Atari hockey jersey?

How about a tournament for the old farts like Jr. Pac-Man on the 7800? Show off some new home brews for old school consoles...

Tournament list:

11:00 a.m Nintendo 64 - 007

12:30 p.m Dreamcast - Crazy Taxi High Score

1:00 p.m Sega Saturn - Bomberman

2:00 p.m Dreamcast - Soul Calibur

2:30 p.m Xbox 360 - Guitar Hero 5 ($5.00 entry fee 1st place winner wins REAL guitar and amp package from Sam Ash)

3:30 p.m Dreamcast - Powerstone

4:00 p.m Wii - Punchout!

5:00 p.m Dreamcast - Marvel Vs. Capcom 2

A 9yr old won the GH tourney, lol.

I liked the venue though and he wasn't saying much if anything by the end of the day. Part of the problem was too much stuff at once I think. It was Paul's first show and while there were a lot of classic games and systems for sale, the crowds weren't there.