IGNORED

Questions from a veteran NES collector, but an Atari 2600 novice

Dittohead Servbot #24

I have always been a long time fan of the original NES (along with the Super NES) since 1990. So after nearly 20 years I obviously know a lot about the NES and Super NES and collecting for it. I just got back into collecting classic video games and I currently have 62 NES games and in about a month or so I'll have a good starter collection of about 20-25 Super NES games as well.

That being said, I'm still very much a novice when it comes to the Atari 2600. I tried one out for the first time in 1993 at a Ronald McDonald house in Louisville (my aunt had a premature baby) but I guess at the time I was a bit too young (13) to really appreciate the console and was more used to the more advanced NES.

That being said, I'm thinking about getting an Atari 2600 and starting an Atari 2600 game collection. I have a few questions though. Is it possible to hook up the 2600 using at least composite hookup? You see, I tried connecting my NES with the RF switch and it looked AWFUL (and there was even static!) so I hooked it up using composite cables instead and got MUCH better results. Thus, I hope it's possible to use composite hookups so that I can get a better picture. I have a 32" Sharp Aquos HDTV, BTW.

And what about caring for the 2600 and the games? Do I have to clean the contacts like I do the NES games? I imagine that since the 2600 is a top loader, the games should load easier than the front loading NES? And which 2600 should I get? Would getting the Heavy Sixer make a better picture because it has better shielding inside?

I hope that's not too many questions.

The first thing I can say is don't use a Nintendo or Sega RF switch with the Atari. While it is possible to mod a system to support the switch, those switches expect power on the RF port to operate the switch, so they won't work.

If your TV has an RF input, try an RCA to F connector adapter and either plug it directly into the TV, or use a cable TV A/B switch.

Beyond that, Atari used S-video internally in their stuff, so they can be modded (if you have enough patience) to output S-video. Anything more than that (component or HDMI) isn't really worth the trouble.

The Colecovision is a special case because its video chip outputs component video (I still suspect that they got a price break from TI on a chip variant nobody else wanted), but S-video can be tapped from inside its RF modulator too.

I can't do mods, sorry. Is the 2600 a console you really have to care for and keep the cartridge contacts clean like the NES? I mean, the console is over 30 years old after all.

Nope, the thing is like rock, you dont have to clean the contacts, exept for the Activision carts, you might have to clean those for a while...

The 2600 does not require as much maintenance as a NES, but it can hit you rarely with some pretty nasty problems.

A good quality RF cable may reduce some of the interference you get from the console. Basically you'd have to open the console and plug an RCA to coax male plug onto the board, then run the thick coax out of the unit and to your TV. If you go with a 7800 instead, you won't have to open that since the plug is at the back of the unit.

Yes, you do have to keep the cartridges clean, but it's not as vital as an NES. In my collection of over 300 carts, I usually have to clean contacts on about one out of every three to five games I play that haven't been played in a while. It's no more often than cleaning contacts on most other classic systems. Some carts have dust covers which help, and the Atari ones with dust covers only need cleaned when you first acquire them.

More important is proper storage to avoid the mottling label condition known as "actiplaque". Even that's not hard, though--just put 'em on a shelf away from extreme heat or sunlight, and you'll be fine.

Caring for the system is easy--dust it off to keep it looking nice. If your system has a metal piece, it'll get scratched almost all by itself. I recommend keeping something over the cart slot. Some Atari units didn't have dust covers in the cart slot, but the older ones have a little door that's supposed to spring shut. I've not seen one recently that does, though. A game just sitting there without being pushed in works well, or you can buy a case that hold the system, a few controllers, and a few games.

There are many choices in consoles. The heavy sixer will cost you a little more, and it's going to be very old. With the age come some of the nasty surprises like bad IC's and ring cracks. My own heavy sixer had a load of ring cracks that took me four hours to fix, and it showed up as one cart not wanting to work with the paddles. If you get a heavy sixer, it's probably something you'll want to spend the money to have fixed if it develops problems.

On the new end, there's the Junior, which I know little about, and the 7800. The 7800 has its own library, but that comes at the cost of almost requiring mods for some 2600 games. It is backward compatible with many 2600 games out of the box, and can be made to work with almost every single 2600 game there is.

My recommendation is a middle of the road Vader or four switch Woody unit. If you get one and you like it, you might then consider a different console that costs more or will require more work to get what you want out of it.

One other thing to watch for on the carts is the ROM chips dying. It's quite rare, but once it happens the cartridge or the whole board inside it has to be replaced. If the game is common, you just buy another one. But when it happens to a cart you spent a lot of money for, you're up a creek. The carts are also susceptible to ring cracks, but fixing such a cart takes perhaps 30 minutes. You don't have game save batteries to die, so that's not a concern.

To put it simple, you'll have a lot less issues with the 2600 than an NES, but it is older, so that might make it a little more likely to have an issue or two.

Edited by shadow460

Since you dont do mods you can buy one modded for you but it will cost you a pretty penny

https://www.atari260...--PROD7828.html

Also keep in mind that the atari 2600 was designed to be viewed on standard CRT TV monitors not hi def flat screens. High def TVs will give you sharper cleaner lines but the atari graphics where actual designed to blur a little on standard CRTs so they would blend together and look a little less blocky. For evidence of this play a cart with an awesome sunset on it, like Barnstorming or BMX Airmaster, on a CRT and a high def TV (or even an emulator) and you will see the sunset looks a lot nicer and a little more "natural" on the standard CRT.

Edited by sloth713

I've had one or two NES games that simply appeared to have dead ROM or RAM chips in them, too. It is very rare on both systems. The worst case I have seen is a rarity 6 cart, and the dead ROM left an excellent label behind which is going to be re used.

There are some companies' games that are more susceptible to this kind of damage than others due to the media used or the type of ICs used.