IGNORED

Anyone wish to unload their Skunkboard?

save2600

You'd be very lucky, I was getting a second one for a coder friend of mine to have a play with Jaguar.

I do know that there are a few people sitting on multiple skunks, if you can convince someone you can put it to good use you might be lucky.

So good luck :) :thumbsup:

• Like 1

You'd be very lucky, I was getting a second one for a coder friend of mine to have a play with Jaguar.

I do know that there are a few people sitting on multiple skunks, if you can convince someone you can put it to good use you might be lucky.

So good luck :) :thumbsup:

Yeah, I figured as much. Why are these things *always* produced in such limited runs?? There should be

a Skunkboard for every Jaguar :-) lol

I think 3DOKID(a real Jaguar fan also) is helping Tursi to do another run of 100 Skunkboard 2s soon!, so hold your horses there might be another run of 'em shortly. :lust:

Hopefully, they will let us know.

Besides that the JaguarCF! might be getting close to release also! :D Maybe Zerosquare will chime in here and update us.

Why are these things *always* produced in such limited runs?? :-) lol

'cause you have to put up the thousands for a production run and then deal with distribution to hundreds of people -manufacturer, packaging, post office, paypal, email, complaints, support, etc. It's probably not something they want to do continually, and then in batches of (minimal required order)100 what if your sitting on $5,000-$10,000 in unsold product that no one wants because the small, and often frowned upon Jaguar community is saturated with them.

Basically the same thing was said by Chad Schell, he has said he needs 100+ preorders for a new run of CuttleCart 2s to be made, right? of which I would like one.

So I guess it's a money thing, as they don't want to get stuck with money tied up in -slow selling items once saturation for the time being is reached.

:)

Yes, I understand the perils of mainstream commercial manufacturing. What I am talking about is a common sense compromise

that wouldn't have broken the bank. It just seems that most of the time, these types of things or cartridges are produced in

quantities of 50-100. Shortly after they're gone, the designers are always bombarded with requests for more. Why couldn't they

have done another 50-100 (or whatever the magic number is to be) to satisfy a demand that was inevitable, or limiting sales to

1 per customer? What you've potentially got now is an over-priced/faux market for something that could be distributed in

greater quantity.

In any event, at least we have a CF card based deal to look forward to :-)

Oh and yes, I'd purchase a Cuttle Cart2 as well, but looks like that's a pipe dream as well. lol

BTW: I'm curious as to how many of these Skunkboard flash carts were made and sold?

Edited by save2600

The distribution tasks I mentioned were not for anything commercial, but directly related to the past 2 Skunkboard runs, that's what kskunk and Tursi had to do. It's just a hobby and they did it in their spare time after work also.

Defintely I wish something could be done to get more CC2s or Krokocarts made, all I have for 2600/7800 is a modded Supercharger. I don't have a 5200 but if I did I would get an Atarimax! cartridge. :)

With both Skunks vers.1&2 I believe Tursi(said in a post)total production is in the neighborhood of around 200 pieces.

I haven't heard or seen 3DOKID around lately but you could PM him and ask if he is in the process of being hooked up with another 100 Skunks to distribute. He seemed very serious about doing another run and has the required front money capitol(10k) easily on hand to really do this.

If you PM him(3DOKID) let me know what he says, I got off on the wrong foot with him it seems as I thought he was only a 3DO fan and I didn't take him seriously about doing another 100 Skunks - but he is serious about it.

:)

The distribution tasks I mentioned were not for anything commercial, but directly related to the past 2 Skunkboard runs, that's what kskunk and Tursi had to do. It's just a hobby and they did it in their spare time after work also.

Defintely I wish something could be done to get more CC2s or Krokocarts made, all I have for 2600/7800 is a modded Supercharger. I don't have a 5200 but if I did I would get an Atarimax! cartridge. :)

Well I have a Skunkboard and a Krococart, but I don't have a CC2 or a supercharger for the 7800... I'd personally like to get my hands on one of CC2 myself. When I missed the first order for the Cuttle carts I made sure I didn't miss any more runs for cartridges like that. It's been a wait and see thing before I finally got my hands on something, but just keep asking around, something should surface.

Yes, I understand the perils of mainstream commercial manufacturing. What I am talking about is a common sense compromise

that wouldn't have broken the bank. It just seems that most of the time, these types of things or cartridges are produced in

quantities of 50-100. Shortly after they're gone, the designers are always bombarded with requests for more. Why couldn't they

have done another 50-100 (or whatever the magic number is to be) to satisfy a demand that was inevitable, or limiting sales to

1 per customer? What you've potentially got now is an over-priced/faux market for something that could be distributed in

greater quantity.

Ovalbugmann answered this as well as I could, but if you want it straight from the horse's mouth:

When I produce anything for sale, I want to sell out ASAP. Selling through all 200 Skunkboards took six weeks. Six weeks is a lot longer than I wanted -- I was hoping it would be days. At the end we had to re-open sales to newcomers and offer discounts to friends just to get the last few out of my hair. If I had made 100 extra, I'd probably still have 80 of them right now.

I think a policy of 1 board per person could actually drive eBay prices UP. Nobody wants to part with their only board. But if some people are sitting on 2 or 3, they'll let one go if they need the cash. Think of it as a distributed store.

Having 50 or 100 Skunkboards sitting in my living room unsold SUCKS. Not just because it represents $4,000-$8,000 I'd rather have to pay rent/fix my car/etc, but because my <edit>darling sweet better half</edit> gets naggy when the apartment looks like a warehouse shipping room. ;)

It's awesome to do 200 mailings assembly-line style. A case of Red Bull, a weekend set aside, a living room just wrecked with scrap, and you're DONE, it's off your back.

Doing it piecemeal? It just hangs over you. Every evening you're wondering if you'll have to change your routine to accommodate another few mailings, run out to get more toner or envelopes, swap labels in and out of the printer, retest the board 'just to be sure', wake up early to hit the post office before work, and the resentful glares... oh, the glares...

I guess what I learned is that I don't like running stores. I like making hardware. There are folks out there who _do_ run stores for a hobby, and we've reached out to them. If there's somebody who runs a good reliable store who wants to help, great, we'll make more and let him handle the joy of unsold inventory. :D

- KS

Edited by kskunk

In addition to the 200 boards that KSkunk managed, I did a run of 50 Skunkboard 1's before that (many of which failed during testing due to manufacturing defects). So there are a good number out there, just over 200, I'd say.

With the duplicates, I'd expect that people who are just collecting or are generous might be willing to sell off spares, so worth it to keep asking I'd think. ;) I haven't seen more than one on EBay so far, which surprises me. ;)

I guess you only make enough product to service demand KS (say no more then 5-10 a week/month etc) and once they've sold you make another 5-10 etc

Are you thinking about a sequal to skunkboard..i.e one with more features etc

KUTGW anyway and i am glad you are at least making some sales and keeping people using there jaguars

Besides that the JaguarCF! might be getting close to release also! :D Maybe Zerosquare will chime in here and update us.
Both SCPCD and me are working actively on the project. The hardware is mostly functional, the logic code is being debugged and the firmware is in the making. It's getting closer to release every day :)

I know I got in to this late in the game also and have now been making sure I don't miss out on any currently stuff. NOTHING beats playing the games on the original systems AND not having to pull out my originals especially if in boxes. I also have enough sealed games that I think almost daily about how bad I want to open them.

I know the idea of pre-orders involving money is out of the question for most producers but if enough "respected" members of the various boards signed up for an order request list maybe that would encourage production. :) A little community support to discourage just casual interest and open up to multiple units if needed.

Is it any easier to make a second run of boards after the first run assuming nothing needs to be changed in design?

For those who are curious I just purchased a couple flash carts and I want to show my support to those developers.

The Atarimax cart is awesome for the 5200!

Lynxman out did himself on the Lynx flash cart!

I have my fingers crossed for even a slim opportunity for a CC2 and a Skunkboard. I am excited about the upcoming JagCF and Harmony.

Edited by coyo5050

I guess you only make enough product to service demand KS (say no more then 5-10 a week/month etc) and once they've sold you make another 5-10 etc

When you make 5-10 at a time, the cost is about $300/each. I think customers are happier paying $80!

- KS

Edited by kskunk

Both SCPCD and me are working actively on the project. The hardware is mostly functional, the logic code is being debugged and the firmware is in the making. It's getting closer to release every day :)

Thank you for the update Zerosquare! I know you have briefly stated capabilities before but could you tell me anything about it's video(FMV) displaying capabilities? Can I run something like Mpeg 1 video with JagCF? I assume it will be only 320x240 size but will it be somewhat easier to make & run FMV than the current built-in Jaguar Cinepak abilities on the JagCD? Can I easily display a static picture also or do I need to use standard Jag development conversion processes, like for RGB pictures, to display a picture on JagCF?

Thanks Tursi and Kskunk for taking the time to write. Sounds like the upfront capital needed to make these is a lot more than I had

imagined ($10-$20K!!). And yes, $80 is a lot more attractive than $300 any way you slice it. Also, nobody likes to sit on unsold

inventory. I guess I'm a little surprised it took 6 weeks to sell what you had, but then again - I shouldn't be. Seems many in this hobby

have bigger eyes than wallets. I deal with the same headaches trying to sell arcade machines to people with no money and bad credit. lol

It's a funny and fickle industry for sure and will forever remain that way. Thanks again and count me in if there's ever another run and

you need some preorders!

From what I understand Tursi & Kskunk do not currently plan to do another run - their done.

It's 3DOKID that is planning to do a 100 piece Skunk run, He is a main moderator at the 3DO Zero forums. Do you want to contact him or would you like me to? :)

Edited by ovalbugmann

From what I understand Tursi & Kskunk do not currently plan to do another run - their done.

It's 3DOKID that is planning to do a 100 piece Skunk run, He is a main moderator at the 3DO Zero forums. Do you want to contact him or would you like me to? :)

It'd be great if you did on our behalf - thank you for offering. I don't feel like setting up yet another screen name

and password for yet another video game forum. The 3D0 platform is still alive and kicking?!? :-) I sure do miss

the Usenet days (Google Groups is a piss poor substitute). Thanks!!

Edited by save2600

When you make 5-10 at a time, the cost is about $300/each. I think customers are happier paying $80!

- KS

Considering it doesn't seem like anyone wants to let theirs go I would almost say they are "priceless". If it made it to the $150 range, basically double, I would still buy. :)

Thank you for the update Zerosquare! I know you have briefly stated capabilities before but could you tell me anything about it's video(FMV) displaying capabilities? Can I run something like Mpeg 1 video with JagCF? I assume it will be only 320x240 size but will it be somewhat easier to make & run FMV than the current built-in Jaguar Cinepak abilities on the JagCD? Can I easily display a static picture also or do I need to use standard Jag development conversion processes, like for RGB pictures, to display a picture on JagCF?
Sorry for the delay, for some reason this topic didn't show up in my "unread posts" list, I stumbled upon your post right now.

Yes, video features are planned for the JagCF. I can't promise MPEG-1 support, but I am working on a Motion JPEG variant, possibly at 640x480. The goal is to get better quality than what Cinepak offers (it's much too blocky for my taste). Anyways, whatever video codec is implemented will be supported by an encoder program that will be open-source.

Regarding pictures : we may implement JPEG files support later, but in all cases standard RGB and CRY picture files will work, and a converter program will be provided.

Edited by Zerosquare