IGNORED

Rally-X

Animan

This is a work in progress of one of my personal favorite arcade games. Right now, it's very early, with only the car, track with no collision detection yet, and 10 flags.

Also, i need help. As you will see, when you touch a flag, a different flag disappears instead of the one that's being touched. Can someone assist me, or fix this? Thanks.

rallyx.bas

rallyx.bas.bin

Edited by Animan

This is a work in progress of one of my personal favorite arcade games. Right now, it's very early, with only the car, track with no collision detection yet, and 10 flags.

Also, i need help. As you will see, when you touch a flag, a different flag disappears instead of the one that's being touched. Can someone assist me, or fix this? Thanks.

It's a good start to a car-maze sort of game but unless you make it scroll, I would not call this Rally-X.

I do not recall if I ever posted the source to my Rally-B demo, but if you'd like I can post it and you can grab the maze and scrolling code from it, or anything else you want from it.

rallybi.bas

It's a good start to a car-maze sort of game but unless you make it scroll, I would not call this Rally-X.

I do not recall if I ever posted the source to my Rally-B demo, but if you'd like I can post it and you can grab the maze and scrolling code from it, or anything else you want from it.

Well, Zaxxon on the 2600 wasn't isometric, but we still call it Zaxxon. I'll still take a look at your code, though.

Well, Zaxxon on the 2600 wasn't isometric, but we still call it Zaxxon. I'll still take a look at your code, though.

Yes, but it did scroll :)

Also, Zaxxon's horizontal scrolling was a technical compromise as the hardware couldn't do a good job at it. There is no reason why a Rally-X port in bB can't scroll.

Edited by batari

Also, Zaxxon's horizontal scrolling was a technical compromise as the hardware couldn't do a good job at it. There is no reason why a Rally-X port in bB can't scroll.

Fine, you win. But i'll still call it Rally X, even if i never implement scrolling, which I'm considering.

Fine, you win. But i'll still call it Rally X, even if i never implement scrolling, which I'm considering.

Remember that depending on mazes could be call New Rally-X :)

This game isn't being worked on until the problem i stated above is fixed. I've tried so hard, and I'm baffled by this issue. Any help?

I can't compile it right now to try it, but here's a modified version that might work. You may want to compare it to your original code to see all the things I modified. I renamed the new version so it won't wipe out your old version when you download it.

Michael

rallyx1.bas

This game isn't being worked on until the problem i stated above is fixed. I've tried so hard, and I'm baffled by this issue. Any help?

I can't compile it right now to try it, but here's a modified version that might work. You may want to compare it to your original code to see all the things I modified. I renamed the new version so it won't wipe out your old version when you download it.

Michael

I sort of fixed it, but now only one flag shows up, and when one flag goes, another appears. I don't have time to look at the code now, but i'll look at it in a bit.

I sort of fixed it, but now only one flag shows up, and when one flag goes, another appears. I don't have time to look at the code now, but i'll look at it in a bit.

Sorry, I hadn't played it, so I didn't understand how it was supposed to work. Try this version instead.

Michael

rallyx2.bas

rallyx2.bas.bin

Sorry, I hadn't played it, so I didn't understand how it was supposed to work. Try this version instead.

Michael

Thanks. It works!

Michael

Thanks. It works!

You're welcome. I cut out and rewrote a lot of code, so the source is a lot smaller than it was, and there's a lot more free ROM left, although it may be more difficult for you to follow some of the logic now (since you didn't write it yourself). However, I think the main problem with your original code was that you were checking for a collision *before* the drawscreen command in your loop, instead of *after* the drawscreen command, so you could always go back to your original code and move the collision-checking and/or the drawscreen command so the drawscreen comes before the collision-checking. Then you could work on optimizing it from there.

Michael

Just some constructive criticism. I do not have any programming knowledge, so I do not mean to offend if this is way too difficult.

I really hope you can make Rally-X scroll. I envision the game to be like Pac-Man Jr.. I downloaded what you have created so far, and it looks like it could have been an actual release by Atari in 1981. I would love the version from 1987. Please make Rally-LXXXVII.

No scrolling? Then you can just make it Route 16. :)

Another possibility would be to let the car drive "off" the screen and switch to a new screen, a la Adventure. It could even switch a little bit before driving off the "edge," so that there's a bit of an overlapping area between the adjacent screens. That way, it wouldn't feel like you're driving into a complete unknown-- you'd at least be able to see that there aren't any rocks or red cars right there. And the ten flags could be split up between the various screens, so there'd be less flickering.

Michael

No scrolling? Then you can just make it Route 16. :)

Another possibility would be to let the car drive "off" the screen and switch to a new screen, a la Adventure. It could even switch a little bit before driving off the "edge," so that there's a bit of an overlapping area between the adjacent screens. That way, it wouldn't feel like you're driving into a complete unknown-- you'd at least be able to see that there aren't any rocks or red cars right there. And the ten flags could be split up between the various screens, so there'd be less flickering.

Michael

Good idea. I'll consider it.