IGNORED

Using emulators for reviews...Good or bad?

etschuetz

50 members have voted

1. 1. Should emulation be used in reviewing a game when a retro console can not be used?

• Yes
    • No
    • It would depend on availability of said game/console
    • Only as long as certain aspects of the review are clearly marked "Incomplete Due to Lack of Proper Hardware"

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

It seems that there was a bit of a discussion in the comments on my Old School Gamer Review blog in regards to using emulation to review certain retro games, and consoles. I feel that, yes in error, I made a review on two consoles I do not own, yet used emulation to determine my points. I did alter the "controls" rating to indicate incompletion due to lack of hardware.

However, the argument still stands that a proper game review can not be done unless reviewed ON the actual hardware.

This is what I would like to state. Some PC reviews will use VirtualWare to review certain OS's and software for those OS's as a means to circumvent having to reinstall said software on a computer, especially when funds and hardware are either scarce, or in limited amount.

Since I have started the review blog, I have been honest and fair in regards to either hardware or software. However, there is always the "purist" that will only accept something when it is presented with "authentic circumstance". In the case of retrogaming, having the "authentic" hardware, or software, can be exceptionally difficult to find, if not purchase. Yes, like many of you, I would LOVE to have every single retro console that was ever made, with EVERY SINGLE GAME ever made. Realistically though, I am not a million dollar publishing company with access to hordes of consoles and games. I do not receive demo systems and games from people to review said product. I am doing it out of the LOVE of gaming, especially retrogaming.

Perhaps the real issue here is that I ticked off an Intellivision, or ColecoVision, fan boy? Perhaps it was a "purist"? Either way, As much as I would love to retain readership, I won't force anyone that doesn't like my methods to continue reading my posts. To nit pick is to ruin it for everyone, especially the one writing something others like to read.

By the way, I did rate the Atari VCS/2600 lower in comparison to the Intellivision and ColecoVision in regards to audio and visuals, and I love my Atari!

**edit**

On the main page of the OSGR, you will see that I openly state I have a LOT of games in emulation for various consoles. With that, I stated that I will review said games that are in emulation. Maybe certain individuals failed to read through that first page?

Edited by etschuetz

I don't like the idea of reviewers using emulators because you don't get the real feel or nuances of games sometimes with emulation. Need to play the original to make an accurate analysis

I agree that there are certain aspects that are not properly represented in emulation. Controllers are the major example. Unless you have some type of X-Console to USB adapter, you can't experience the real control of a game. However, there are rare instances in my experiences with emulation have I had issues with the game play, audio and visuals. Overall, those that create the emulators are doing so to recreate the experience, without having to use the original hardware.

I can see using an emu if you simply cannot access the given game in question, particularly rare games etc. However, I would strongly advocate the actual system whenever possible. I would say reviewed based on actual systems have a little more clout than those conducted via emulator.

IMO using emulation in reviews is OK but only as a supplement to playing on real hardware. It can be a big help in getting screenshots, refreshing your memory about some part of the game, or using savestates to see the end of a game.

But it is no substitute for using real controllers and seeing it on a real TV.

EDIT: To be specific, the way older consoles look on a TV compared to the way they look emulated on a computer screen is VASTLY different 95% of the time. It is a huge, huge difference and very few emulators try to replicate even some of the visual effects of a real TV.

Edited by vdub_bobby

I voted yes/good, but only under one circumstance:

You must have played and or owned it on the original hardware first.

IE, dont review an Atari 2600 games via emulation, if you have not fully played the games on an actual VCS 2600.

etschuetz,

I understand what your trying to say and all. I doubt you pissed off any fan boy of either system so much as stating incorrect information about the two systems. It would be a good idea to do a little more research about the two, and play some of the better games made for the two systems.

Try Thunder Castle or Tower of Doom for Intellivision. It may change your perspective on the system.

Or try any arcade port on Coleco!

For me, none of the 3 systems could come out on top. They are all different, they are all best. They all have their disadvantages, and their advantages.

I collect more for the Intellivision, and aim to have a complete collection, where as Atari, I have several different models. And Coleco, with the Adam Computer and 2600 expansion :D Love em all!

I'm a video review fan, and I've watched tons of reviews that used emulators--they seem the easiest way to get decent vids or images of a game. Really emulation has allowed even the average schmoe to have everything he needs to put together a far better review than any of the press could muster back when a lot of these games were new.

One common sense note I'd throw out there is to know the limits of the emulator used. I haven't seen much of it anywhere, but generally ragging on the game for a fault in the reviewer's hardware, emulation settings, or the emulator itself is very bad.

I'm reminded of watching a video review of one of the colony wars games where the reviewer complained that the game really needed to have more than a blank black image for its loading screen. naturally the title did have this feature. Even more generally, I always wonder when a reviewer claims a game's controls "aren't quite right" if there's really a problem with the game's controls or if it's something that got lost in the added layers of BS between the controller and the game.

I've done it before, and I don't apologize for it. However, there are certain cases where it's probably not appropriate, such as if the emulator is still early in development (no sound, etc.) or if the game has certain features that cannot be easily reproduced by an emulator (ie Wario Ware Twisted).

(As an aside, I love the ability to choose different fonts. Century Gothic forever, yo!

EDIT: To be specific, the way older consoles look on a TV compared to the way they look emulated on a computer screen is VASTLY different 95% of the time.

Very very true. One of the things I enjoy doing is direct and immediate A/B comparisons on a tv of emulation vs. original hardware (generally using xbox emus). And, one of the hardest things to get right is the correct aspect ratio / size of the display itself to match up with the real thing. You gotta do a lot of resizing and tweaking :P Not that it's all that big a deal (it isn't), but still the point stands if you don't have the original there, you simply don't know exactly how the thing really looks.

Another thing that's almost always different is sound. Lots of times the sound in emu'd games are "almost" there.. but really not 100%. And again, if you didn't know the original by heart or do an A/B on the spot, you'd never be able to tell. :)

Edited by NE146

However, the argument still stands that a proper game review can not be done unless reviewed ON the actual hardware.

You got it...

Realistically though, I am not a million dollar publishing company with access to hordes of consoles and games. I do not receive demo systems and games from people to review said product. I am doing it out of the LOVE of gaming, especially retrogaming.

I understand and can appreciate that...

Perhaps the real issue here is that I ticked off an Intellivision, or ColecoVision, fan boy? Perhaps it was a "purist"?

I think you're making it more than it really is. The REAL issue was grading the controls of a respective console using an emulator which you simply can't do. Well, I guess you could but then you lose credibility as a reviewer.

You say you admitted the error and fixed it. Now let's move on without a flame war.

Folks, I really appreciated your input and the level of maturity in the comments. I respect you all for that. We all have valid arguments in the case of a review in Emulation vs Physical.

As I still enjoy doing the reviews, I will state whether a review was done soley based on emulation vs on the actual hardware. I stand by past reviews that were done with emulation simply based on the fact that I love to tinker and adjust settings to get a good feel. Considering all of the hardware I do have, getting that "right feel" isn't hard.

but like I said, in order to ensure quality, if a review is done via emulation, I will state so accordingly.

I think the one thing an emulator cannot lie about is game play. Platform jumping is still platform jumping. Collecting keys to unlock doors is still collecting keys to unlock doors. Instead of grading graphics, audio, and control on an emulator, focus on the game play. I wouldn't have a problem with that. Everything else should assume any discrepancies with the emulation and should be noted.

Edited by Emehr

I would say, it's fine, as long as you mark which aspects may be incorrect due to it being played on an emulator.

On the one hand, you won't get an accurate feel for say...Indy 500, due to it using the driving controller, I suppose you could get one of those plug things, but eh...

On the other hand, when it comes down to it, control is still a preference that will differ from individual to individual..for example, I have no problem with how a doom type FPS game works on gameboy, while most people will diss it as "unplayable" without the second stick(never mind the original FPS's of the type had no "second stick" :P ) Heck, maybe the roto control for Indy sucks in your opinion, and you may think it would have been better with a joystick support, just an example...

For the most part, a emulator is "good enough" and will show you all you need to know about a game in order to form an objective complete review. Still, there are a few games, like Space Shuttle that would never be properly "felt" without a real system (and I think it was actually intended to be a 6 switcher at that ! )

The two biggest places where emulators have the biggest problem is sound reproduction and controller reproduction. In the case of sound there ain't a whole lot you can do about that other than hearing the game on the real deal.

With controllers your limited in the same way in that a controller can either hamper or enhance the gaming experience. In that case what you should do is familiarize yourself with the controls of the machine so you at least have an idea of how that may affect your "enjoyment" of the game.

Having the real hardware around can be nice as well..

Some emulators also can have graphic issues with different effects. It's more obvious with the later systems, and some of the more complicated games that really push the hardware.

So what I'm saying (in my opinion) is that it really helps your review if you familiarize yourself with the original hardware and the limitations of the emulator in relation to the original hardware.

Edited by Shannon
  • Like 1

Again, a lot of great points. In the Graphics department, I rarely have seen big differences between emulation and hardware. I like to tinker with settings, so maybe that helps. The sound is a bit tougher. Sometimes, no matter how hard you tinker, a ROM's audio may have been corrupted during the transfer. I usually stay away from game reviews for bad roms. Just a personal preference.

However, I think for the best is that I am going to just review the "tons" of stuff I have physically, and leave the roms for a time when I am bored or out of new stuff.

The argument that you should use a real console + tv to get the real picture, is only valid when you use a crt type tv. When you connect your console to an lcd tv, the picture will be scaled to the tv's native resolution. A pc does exactly the same, it scales the picture to the current resolution.

• Like 1

I don't think the technical aspects of emulation versus real hardware really matter to begin with. If one considers him/herself as a serious retro video game reviewers, he/she should be using the real hardware. As mentionned earlier above, emulation is great for getting nice screenshots, and for saving/loading states which helps accelerate progress through a difficult game (especially to get the aforementionned screenshots).

But really, if a reviewer only uses emulation to test and evaluate games, then as a reader, I can't really take such reviews seriously.

• Like 1

I have decided, screw it. To much nitpicking and bs to run something no one seems to really appreciate. So Old School Gamer Review is dead. I have deleted the WordPress and Blogger sites with NO backups of the original reviews.

Edited by etschuetz

When I first started doing youtube reviews I used emulation because filming a tv with its rolling black line looks horrible. Now I use an All in wonder card attached to a good old vcr to record the gameplay from an actual machine and use that footage in reviews. I've done that twice now with Pengo and Snoopy for the 2600. The picture isn't as sharp as say using camstudio and an emulator but you get a "real" feel and look to the gameplay, if that makes any sense.

Maybe on day down the road, i will start doing the Old School Gamer Review again...may even have a new name. I dunno. I just have no desire to do it right now. As for the deleted archives, oh darn...what a shame. Really isn't a big deal since I can rewrite them. If I decide to start this up again, expect a new look, new URL, etc. And a better organization of reviews, systems, and games. For the time being, I am just going to chill and not worry about it.

I dont mind emulator reveiws, unless the emulators are being used to beat up on an older console, like the atari 2600. If you go to youtube, and search "worst game ever" then you will see that ET is the first one, which is NOT the worst game BTW. and this goes to the "graphics dont make a game" saying.

Personally I would have kept the review site up and just posted a disclaimer along the lines of "these games are reviewed from the viewpoint of a modern gamer wishing to play them via by emulation and are judge based on the enjoyment obtained via such methods"... Or something stupid like that..

After beating meta ridley in Metroid Prime (still have to do the final boss) I thought it'd be kinda cool to have video walk thru's for various (semi modern) games...

Edited by Shannon

I vote a strong "no" on this. Some consoles just can't be redone on an emulator.

Examples:

•  
  • Vectrex - You really need the real vector graphics for the full experience
  • Astrocade - The controller really makes some of these games
  • Channel F - Again, games were designed specifically for the controllers; they just don't work well on an emulator
  • Virtual Boy - The emulated experience doesn't match the actual experience
  • Odyssey - I've played ODYEMU, and believe me when I say you cannot play this console on an emulator; you need to have the game cards and board pieces
  • Odyssey^2 - None of the Master Strategy games can be emulated properly

In all cases, the quality of the controllers has a lot to do with a game, especially if it's a multiplatform game. Daisy-chaining 3DO controllers affects the game experience. Mortal Kombat II on the SNES four face button controller vs. Genesis' six face button controller, 5200's notoriously atrocious controls, et cetera.

Finally, emulators tend to fix some of the "flaws" in games, like flickering sprites and slowdown. These are things that factor into any comprehensive game review.

Don't own the console? Then don't do a review.

Edited by Rev. Rob