IGNORED

Atari XL kbd to USB signal converter?

blakespot

I have a desire to use an Atari 1200XL in a casemod, embedding a stripped down Mac mini or the like inside and using the 1200XL's keyboard on the Mac.

Does a XL keyboard to USB adapter exist? If not, what would it take to build one? I've got several such converters for other systems (Amiga to PS/2 keyboard, etc.) but have no idea if such a thing exists for the XL keyboard.

Thanks.

blakespot

I have a desire to use an Atari 1200XL in a casemod, embedding a stripped down Mac mini or the like inside and using the 1200XL's keyboard on the Mac.

Does a XL keyboard to USB adapter exist? If not, what would it take to build one? I've got several such converters for other systems (Amiga to PS/2 keyboard, etc.) but have no idea if such a thing exists for the XL keyboard.

Thanks.

blakespot

I'm typing this right now on a 1200xl connected to my Dell desktop via ps/2. I used a Hagstrom universal keyboard encoder to convert the xl keyboard matrix to ps/2 codes. Google Hagstrom Electronics and you'll find them. I believe they also sell a usb version, but perhaps not for Mac. Hooking it up requires mapping the 1200xl's keyboard matrix and soldering a ribbon cable to the appropriate pins of the 1200xl's own encoder IC's. The Hagstrom encoder includes a software program that lets you assign whatever ps/2 code you want to each Atari key, including the function keys (e.g., on mine, I use the BREAK key for ctl-alt-del, the inverse key for F11 (fullscreen), and F1-f4 for cursor controls same as stock). You could even attach an old Atari numeric keypad as well. Since you won't be using the 1200xl computer as a computer (mine can be either or), that's all that's too it. If you want a dual system, then you have to install a switch to interrupt some of the connections when using in 1200xl mode because the universal encoder messes with the Atari for some reason I haven't figured out yet. If you want more info, I can email you pics, info, etc.

Thanks.

blakespot

I'm typing this right now on a 1200xl connected to my Dell desktop via ps/2. I used a Hagstrom universal keyboard encoder to convert the xl keyboard matrix to ps/2 codes. Google Hagstrom Electronics and you'll find them. I believe they also sell a usb version, but perhaps not for Mac. Hooking it up requires mapping the 1200xl's keyboard matrix and soldering a ribbon cable to the appropriate pins of the 1200xl's own encoder IC's. The Hagstrom encoder includes a software program that lets you assign whatever ps/2 code you want to each Atari key, including the function keys (e.g., on mine, I use the BREAK key for ctl-alt-del, the inverse key for F11 (fullscreen), and F1-f4 for cursor controls same as stock). You could even attach an old Atari numeric keypad as well. Since you won't be using the 1200xl computer as a computer (mine can be either or), that's all that's too it. If you want a dual system, then you have to install a switch to interrupt some of the connections when using in 1200xl mode because the universal encoder messes with the Atari for some reason I haven't figured out yet. If you want more info, I can email you pics, info, etc.

Thanks - I'd love to know how much of a job it was to hook the thing up. Look at Hagstrom's site:

http://www.hagstromelectronics.com/products/modules.html

Looks like the USB modules might not have enough inputs to map the whole kbd for Mac / PC use right? I guess I could go PS/2 and then convert that to USB with another device...?

Thanks.

blakespot

I used a Hagstrom universal keyboard encoder to convert the xl keyboard matrix to ps/2 codes.

I vaguely remember your original thread about this, but can't remember if this question was asked:

Is there any real reason why you couldn't have just torn apart a crappy old $5 PS/2 keyboard and used its encoder, instead of shelling out for the Hagstrom one? Any decent OS should already be able to remap keys without using Hagstrom's add-on software (maybe not as convenient or easy to set up, but should be do-able)... and if you know where to look, you can usually find old PS/2 keyboards for less than $5 even (am referring to the lightweight throwaway ones, not real PS/2 keyboards from IBM).

To the original poster: if you get it working as a PS/2 keyboard (with or without a Hagstrom encoder), you should be able to use a cheap PS/2 to USB keyboard adaptor (usually less than 10 bucks at Fry's)

I used a Hagstrom universal keyboard encoder to convert the xl keyboard matrix to ps/2 codes.

I vaguely remember your original thread about this, but can't remember if this question was asked:

Is there any real reason why you couldn't have just torn apart a crappy old $5 PS/2 keyboard and used its encoder, instead of shelling out for the Hagstrom one? Any decent OS should already be able to remap keys without using Hagstrom's add-on software (maybe not as convenient or easy to set up, but should be do-able)... and if you know where to look, you can usually find old PS/2 keyboards for less than $5 even (am referring to the lightweight throwaway ones, not real PS/2 keyboards from IBM).

To the original poster: if you get it working as a PS/2 keyboard (with or without a Hagstrom encoder), you should be able to use a cheap PS/2 to USB keyboard adaptor (usually less than 10 bucks at Fry's)

I did experiment with an old pc keyboard encoder before buying the Hagstrom unit, and I can't remember why I abandoned that approach. I think it had something to do with the way the keys on a pc keyboard are matrixed vs. the Atari matrix. I think (but it's been a while so I could be wrong) that the issue was that the pc encoder was fixed at a certain row X column matrix that was different than the Atari. The Hagstrom unit can be programmed for any combination of rows/columns. Obviously, if I'm wrong on this (of which there is a high degree of probability) I overspent on the project by a considerable amount. :x