IGNORED

Poll of sorts -- new 5200 game ideas?

Cafeman

utamav91:

Your totally right about most of the sports games on the 7800...I can't figure out what went wrong in that area for that system. However, in all fairness One-on-One is good (Although not really my style...) and BasketBrawl is a lot of fun if a bit on the easy side.

I haven't really played the football game...but I don't like hat trick at all...there is like no AI in that one...

Anyway, I do often wonder why the Pro system had such poor sports games...with the power is had over the 2600 and 5200 they could have done much better.

I posted this at DP too, but few people respond there so...

I still like the idea of doing an adventure/rpg style game, since that would fill a hole in the 5200's library. Here is what I'd like to work on, something like this --

What do you think of a game with page-flipped screens like in Adventure, Superman, and Pitfall, but this one is an adventure game with level-up attributes, raptors and other beasts, dark caves, grassy fields, plains, and forest screens. The emphasis is on stealth and strategy in finding 3 pieces of your communicator (shaddap! I know it's trite, but what else are you gonna look for?!!) by following the soft beep of your metal detector.

If you are too loud while walking through certain scenes, you will alert the raptor of your presence, so it pays off to walk (not run) through that part. The strategy of learning *how* to more easily traverse screens is not immediately given away.

In the dark cave screens, you must listen to the sound of your footsteps -- if the footsteps sound a certain pitch, it means you are close to a 'trap' -- if you set it off (or if you are on the screen too long), big monstrous eyes (the cave beast) comes after you.

You must find the 3 pieces (as well as other power ups), level-up your strength (by eating food, and defeating enemies), defense, and agility, and figure out how to get to each screen via some puzzles.

I'm calling it Survivor Theta as of now.... I will not explain why I'm calling it that -- if I make this, it'll be explained at the end of the game.

I welcome honest feedback. (My first game is still gonna be a simple mazechase, just for the experience, though).

Tron is a good idea, but you'd have to do it right. No half-assed effort, Tron is one of those games that has to be done right or I'd never forgive you.

If you don't do Tron I'll do it as my second project. Hell, maybe we could work on it together?

Tempest

Wow Cafeman you got this thread over to two pages. That's impressive

Tron sound like a really good game to do. I can't believe no one had done it before. And with you guys working on it together it could turn out to be a really good port. I'd say go with this idea.

quote:

Originally posted by Tempest:

If you don't do Tron I'll do it as my second project. Hell, maybe we could work on it together?

Tempest

my, aren't we confident?

I'm a bit intimidated by Tron. Like you said, if we did it wrong, we'd be hated and/or laughing stock.

For one thing, what would be the best control? I think twin stick control like in Space Dungeon and Robotron would be best -- didn't the arcade Tron have a paddle rotary knob to aim your shots in the spiders and tanks scenes?

Still, it'd be interesting. You basically have 4 screens. Which 2 screens do you want? The tank game is like a mazechase layout. The bike scene shouldn't be too hard, but may be tough to control with the 5200 sticks. The tons of spiders -- that might be hard, and the rotating breakout level, would take some work I'd think. Hmmm.

Geo -- I think you amalgamized this entire thread into that game! Raptors and baseball!

In the arcade, my two favorite levels were the spiders (love that music) and the cone (because it was the most challenging).

I have absolutely no idea how you would pull off the control scheme.

Since I'm still in the middle of my first project, I won't even start worrying about future projects yet. Just something to keep in mind though.

Tempest