IGNORED

5200 Power Supply

Charlie_

• 2 weeks later...

Either power supply will work on either system, the regulators will knock it down to 5v to make the motherboard happy.

In fact you can use a 5200 power supply on just about any console if you get the connector and polarity right:

2600,7800,intv2,02,nes,snes,jag,sms. Pretty much everything except colecovision.

My system merge project has three motherboards so far (7800, 5200, 02) hooked up to a 5200 supply.

John

• 1 month later...

ok heres one, i got 1 extra 4 port power supply i found in a random box

and it doesnt work, there are 2 screws on the bottom so i take them out and i still cant seperate it

is there a hidden screw or is it a snap down thing not allowing me to open it?

[ 12-13-2001: Message edited by: Lemmi ]

quote:

Originally posted by Lemmi:

and it doesnt work, there are 2 screws on the bottom so i take them out and i still cant seperate it

is there a hidden screw or is it a snap down thing not allowing me to open it?

Oh man, I remember having a hell of a time trying to get Atari 1050 power supplies open, and I believe they are similar to the 5200's supply. According to the Atari 5200 FAQ (search for "Repairing power supplies") these should be pretty easy to open. I blew several fuses with 1050 drives, no idea if the 5200 power supply is as finicky. Once you get it open it's quite simple to replace.

..Al

The 4-port power supply (CO18187 - 9.3V DC@1.95 amp) has 2 screws on

the bottom allowing easy access. The fuse is on a board inside.

The fuse is 5A 250V slow blow (Radio Shack part #: 270-1027) and is

easy to change.

hahaha allowing easy access, that should be changed

Thanks Albert for the info, and its still not coming apart

so at one point i will just take a screwdriver and pry the B open

or i might remove the rubber feet and see if anything is hidden underneath there first

[ 12-14-2001: Message edited by: Lemmi ]

Ok since this thing has been bugging me

i took off the 2 rubber feet on the opposite side for the 2 screws that you can see and there is 2 more screws under them

so there might be a update to the 5200 FAQ, to add that if after you take the 2 visible screws out and it still wont come apart easy that there might be 2 more screws under the rubber feet, opposite the 2 visibale screws

• Like 1

• 19 years later...

Thank you for this thread! Was going to post one since I fried a fuse from a 9v model after accidentally moving the power box on the 5200 and the signal cable went too far in one direction (and while powered on despite knowing not to unplug that cable end when powered on, d'oh) - am waiting for a replacement fuse, but had a 11v model sitting around.

I should replace them all with a new PSU anyway, center-tip (+) polarity and match amps and other specs of course... the capacitors in the 38 year-old units won't last forever, if nothing else... 

On 12/14/2001 at 5:52 AM, Lemmi said:

Ok since this thing has been bugging me

i took off the 2 rubber feet on the opposite side for the 2 screws that you can see and there is 2 more screws under them

so there might be a update to the 5200 FAQ, to add that if after you take the 2 visible screws out and it still wont come apart easy that there might be 2 more screws under the rubber feet, opposite the 2 visibale screws

Is there an easy way to remove the rubber feet? Amusingly enough, the two on mine (9v, with two visible screws) have their feet stuck on tightly. Using a screwdriver I chiseled away but they're on tight.  I'll googley options too, maybe alcohol dissolves it...

44 minutes ago, CommodoreDecker said:

Is there an easy way to remove the rubber feet? Amusingly enough, the two on mine (9v, with two visible screws) have their feet stuck on tightly. Using a screwdriver I chiseled away but they're on tight.  I'll googley options too, maybe alcohol dissolves it...

Nope...just keep chiseling away at them. You will likely destroy them in the process. Had that happen with two I've repaired over the past couple of years. I purchased a bag of misc size and shaped rubber stick on feet from home depot or something years ago and I occasionally go to it when I need to replace rubber feet on stuff. Pretty sure that is what I did on my 5200 PSUs that I had to tear up the feet on them to take them apart to replace the fuze. Caps looked okay in them but the fuses don't take much to kill. I think I burnt one of them out when I testing for current draw and didn't have my probes in the right way.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 0078265317 said:

I got a power supply off eBay with a box.  Not sure if it works.  Scared to try.  It measures about 14 volts with a volt meter.

Totally normal voltage reading. They will always read high without a load on them. If you plug it into the console and then take a ready at the input at one of the Voltage Regulators, the reading will be somewhere around 10v - 12v at that point and the voltage regulators inside are more than up to the task for dropping that down to the needed +5v the console actually uses.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Nope...just keep chiseling away at them. You will likely destroy them in the process. Had that happen with two I've repaired over the past couple of years. I purchased a bag of misc size and shaped rubber stick on feet from home depot or something years ago and I occasionally go to it when I need to replace rubber feet on stuff. Pretty sure that is what I did on my 5200 PSUs that I had to tear up the feet on them to take them apart to replace the fuze. Caps looked okay in them but the fuses don't take much to kill. I think I burnt one of them out when I testing for current draw and didn't have my probes in the right way.

Thanks much! I will get out the larger chisel...  What a weird design, considering how easy it is to blow them. Better the PSU frying than the 5200 itself because of that cable... ?