IGNORED

RMT Patch 4

analmux

Hi,

Here's the new RMT patch for those who'd like to do pokey music using the standard 64khz clocking. It is a patch of RMT version 1.27. The patch overwrites two tables: freqtabbasslo and freqtabbasshi.

-The patch of freqtabbasslo is for distortion 2 @ 1.79mhz instruments (use on channel 1 OR 3), as an alternative for the standard square waves

-The patch of freqtabbasshi is for the sawtooth wave (use on channel 1 (combined with 3))

How it works: I included a test tune (test.rmt).

Instruments 00 & 01 are examples of sawtooth instruments. This can only be used on channel 1 (on ch. 2,3 or 4 it won't do what it should).

Instruments 0E & 1C are examples of dist2@1.79mhz instruments. These can be used on channel 1 or 3.

In the distortion envelope (instrument edit mode), the following will activate them:

Use distortion '4' for dist2 at 1.79mhz (audctl bit 6 or 5 don't need to be set, the patch handles them by itself)

Use distortion '6' for sawtooth wave (now both audctl bit 6 and 5 need to be set). We need 'filter command' for this one, which is command 6. The parameter is just 0 0.

One can find it at: http://www.phys.uu.nl/~bpos/RMTPATCH/

Oh yes, not to forget...: This patch still keeps the C & E basses as it is.

Nice. Works very well. Gen 2 (or 6 as it is now) stays in tune much better now.

Although, it doesn't seem to have portamento Or Fshift support.

Also, just a question. are you able to just Replace the "old" Gen 2 table with your new Gen 2 Table instead of overwriting the gen 6 table? I use gen 6 "16 bit bass" on some songs.

Was just curious if it was possible. =)

I was also wondering. in order to use songs made with your version (hack) of RMT in a game, would we need a special version of the "RMT player" routine for our game or is all the data in the "RMT song file" itself?

Sounds nice.

Edited by kjmann

Nice. Works very well. Gen 2 (or 6 as it is now) stays in tune much better now.

Although, it doesn't seem to have portamento Or Fshift support.

Thanks. Well I think I made a mistake patching distortion(command) 6 for this one. RMT engine disables portamento, fshift etc. for distortion 6. Still thinking what to do, maybe it's still not a final version of the patch yet. I'm not sure if the disabling can be turned back in a simple way. So, I'm afraid it's a matter of putting one of the (8bit) C/E basses there instead.

Also, just a question. are you able to just Replace the "old" Gen 2 table with your new Gen 2 Table instead of overwriting the gen 6 table? I use gen 6 "16 bit bass" on some songs.

In this patch there's no 'old' gen2 table. If one needs pure tones, C bass, E bass and 16bit bass, then there's no space left for patches. This one still has pure tones, C bass, E bass. The 16bit bass, having 2 tables, is patched now.

I was also wondering. in order to use songs made with your version (hack) of RMT in a game, would we need a special version of the "RMT player" routine for our game or is all the data in the "RMT song file" itself?

Yes, we'd need a special version of the rmtplayr.a65 file. The RMT tool is patched itself, and will automatically export patched .xex versions of a tune. However, the bare RMT files only contain the music info (i.e. notes, tempos, instruments) and not notation tables and others. The coder will need to use rmtplayr.a65. I included this in the .zip, so people who need to include a hacked tune into a bigger project can use it. There's also comments in the .a65 file of what changes I made.

Comments on Patch 4:

There was a mistake in the notation table of the sawtooth. The value $2D was occurring 2 times (on location for E-3 and F#3), instead of $2F for E-3, $2D for F#3.

I corrected it, and you can download it at the same location.

Still thinking about an alternative Patch, 4B. This one should activate vibrato & portamento for distortion 2 @ 1.79mhz.

Edited by analmux