IGNORED

[TI-99/4A] Pitfall!

retroclouds

I'd like to announce a project I've been working on for quite some time.

It's a homebrew version of Pitfall! for the Texas Instruments TI-99/4A home computer.

I already released the disk version a while ago. You can run this version in your favourite emulator or run it on a real TI-99/4A if you have a floppy drive, 32K memory expansion and either a Editor/Assembler, Mini Memory or Extended Basic cartridge.

Currently I'm working on the cartridge version. The way it looks, I'll be able to use a PCB with a 16K bank-switched ROM and the game will not require the additional 32K memory expansion.

I'm hoping to get the game code ready by the end of 2009.

Depending on the feedback I'm considering making a batch of cartridges to be released in early 2010.

The game would consist of a new PCB in a recycled cartridge case.

At this time I can't tell what the game will cost. But to keep costs to a minimum I'm not planning on delivering a box or a printed instruction manual.

Below is a first mockup of what the cartridge will look like.

post-16219-125200616751_thumb.jpg

Note: at this time I have the required components for doing 8 cartridges.

You can find more pictures and a video in my blog at http://www.retroclouds.de

If anyone is interested, let me know and I'll add you to my pre-order list.

That way I can make a first estimation on how many PCB's and cartridge cases to order ;)

retroclouds

Is there sound on your pitfall? I can not hear sound on the youtube video.

Nice job.

Yes, sounds are exactly the same as on the colecovision version. I recorded the video using the classic99 emulator and the problem is that it can't record any sound. Unfortunatly video quality is not that good either. Game play is fluent and the same as on the colecovision.

I have a TI99/4a, but it doesn't work... and I don't want to buy another at the moment.

But that's a cool project! Do you have any plan to release it also in Europe?

Thanks. I own a colecovision and I wanted to do a game for the TI-99/4A that -in terms of playability- reaches the

same quality as what is possible on the CV. Actually your projects have been a great inspiration (OS7 documentation,

soundbank applet, etc.), so I want to take the opportunity to thank you for that :)

I'm located in Europe so releasing it here should not be an issue.

retroclouds

Go ahead and put me down on the pre-order list too.

Incidentally, sound in Classic99 is definitely broken, except for basic tones. I've talked to Tursi about this; his sound core is in need of a radical redesign.

If you use TI99Dir, you can copy your files into a disk image and run it on MESS instead, which has full sound capability.

Adamantyr

Go ahead and put me down on the pre-order list too.

Incidentally, sound in Classic99 is definitely broken, except for basic tones. I've talked to Tursi about this; his sound core is in need of a radical redesign.

If you use TI99Dir, you can copy your files into a disk image and run it on MESS instead, which has full sound capability.

Adamantyr

Thanks, noted :)

The biggest problem I have is recording gameplay for uploading to Youtube.

classic99 doesn't record sound and in MESS I didn't find any recording functionality at all.

I then tried MESS with some additional recording software (Fraps and gamecam). gamecam didn't record at all.

Fraps did record but doesn't encode, so you get huge files not suited for upload.

You then have to find some encoding software...

At that point I gave up and went back to record using classic99.

retroclouds

Note these two statements are unrelated. The sound core has been planned for replacement for years, but it was a recent change (adding the volume control) that broke the bits that were previously working. I thought I'd noticed a shift in noise handling but wasn't sure till fiddling with Adamantyr's issues. Sooner or later I'll release a patch that gets it back where it was.

The "radical redesign" part is long since finished, the core is even written and tested. I just need time to implement it in the emulator. Time is my enemy. ;)

The biggest problem I have is recording gameplay for uploading to Youtube.

classic99 doesn't record sound and in MESS I didn't find any recording functionality at all.

I then tried MESS with some additional recording software (Fraps and gamecam). gamecam didn't record at all.

Fraps did record but doesn't encode, so you get huge files not suited for upload.

You then have to find some encoding software...

At that point I gave up and went back to record using classic99.

Since YouTube allows you to have a separate soundtrack file, I personally record audio using an external application then just line them up. ;) It's not as nice as having it all in the source file automatically but it works (at least if your sound card can record played audio).

As for Fraps, you can try a copy of the Tsunami MPEG Encoder - http://www.tmpgenc.net/en/index.html -- don't worry about the fancy features or the MPG2 support (or whatever else may be thrown in)... basic MPEG encoding will get your file size down enough and IIRC it worked with FRAPS (It should since it works with most DirectShow codecs for input).

I currently have 28 pre-orders for Pitfall :)

Due to the availability of the required components -and also for financial reasons-

I can't accept any new orders at this time.

This means that starting today new orders will be put on a waiting list.

Depending on the feedback I'm considering doing a second batch once the first 28 cartridges are sold.

I have noted following atariage friends on the pre-order list:

Bill_Loguidice

blackpanther

adamantyr

the.golden.ax

nekonoko

tjb

dalder

I will contact you as soon as we have a confirmed target date.

Thanks!

retroclouds

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...