IGNORED

GOSUB II Pre-Order

neotokeo2001

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here's the update I promised yesterday..

First, I want to apologize for how long it's taken to get these out. The onus falls entirely with me, not Scott or anyone else. Yesterday I got all the boards soldered and today I plan on getting all the carts built, tested and labeled. That would allow me to ship them out tomorrow or Friday at the latest. Here is a picture of the finished boards (the two boards with "GS2" hand written on them are two I built for initial testing):

gosub2_boards.jpg

Part of the delay was my EPROM eraser stopped working. Amusingly, it decided to do this right after I sent out a smaller eraser to someone else. At first I thought it was just the UV lamp, so I purchased several replacements online and waited for them to come in. When they arrived, I popped one in and...no light. Puzzled, I saw that there was a florescent starter, so I popped that out and bought a replacement at Home Depot. Here's a picture of the opened unit:

eprom_repair.jpg

I installed the replacement FS-2 starter, put everything back together and tried firing it up. No light! I was a bit perplexed as electrically this thing is pretty simple. I then noticed a small switch that is depressed when the EPROM tray is slid fully in. This is to prevent you from turning on the UV lamp and being exposed to its harmful rays. I grabbed the tray, slid the tray fully in and could not hear the switch activate (it's a microswitch, so pretty loud). I then saw that the very end of the tray has a small piece of metal bent upwards, which catches the switch and depresses it. Looks like this metal tip got bent back a bit and thus wasn't engaging the switch. I bent this piece back into position, slid the tray in and heard a satisfying "click". I turned on the eraser and the lamp came on.

I was then able to erase the parts I needed in order to build the full batch of these boards. And now I have backup lamps and starters should I ever need them. :ponder:

..Al

Here's the update I promised yesterday..

First, I want to apologize for how long it's taken to get these out. The onus falls entirely with me, not Scott or anyone else. Yesterday I got all the boards soldered and today I plan on getting all the carts built, tested and labeled. That would allow me to ship them out tomorrow or Friday at the latest. Here is a picture of the finished boards (the two boards with "GS2" hand written on them are two I built for initial testing):

Part of the delay was my EPROM eraser stopped working. Amusingly, it decided to do this right after I sent out a smaller eraser to someone else. At first I thought it was just the UV lamp, so I purchased several replacements online and waited for them to come in. When they arrived, I popped one in and...no light. Puzzled, I saw that there was a florescent starter, so I popped that out and bought a replacement at Home Depot. Here's a picture of the opened unit:

I installed the replacement FS-2 starter, put everything back together and tried firing it up. No light! I was a bit perplexed as electrically this thing is pretty simple. I then noticed a small switch that is depressed when the EPROM tray is slid fully in. This is to prevent you from turning on the UV lamp and being exposed to its harmful rays. I grabbed the tray, slid the tray fully in and could not hear the switch activate (it's a microswitch, so pretty loud). I then saw that the very end of the tray has a small piece of metal bent upwards, which catches the switch and depresses it. Looks like this metal tip got bent back a bit and thus wasn't engaging the switch. I bent this piece back into position, slid the tray in and heard a satisfying "click". I turned on the eraser and the lamp came on.

I was then able to erase the parts I needed in order to build the full batch of these boards. And now I have backup lamps and starters should I ever need them. :ponder:

..Al

One of the best excuses ever on these boards! :D ;)