IGNORED

Atari Owl Project?

Atari_Owl

I'm very grateful to everyone for the kind words.

I'd like to add now though that theres another post up, this time we are linking to our EXCEPTIONALLY talented musician.

Now she's not a part of the Jag community... so please don't scare her by showing her how crazy we all are :)

Edited by Atari_Owl

So is your current re-write of the polygon renderer working with quads? (or flexible for both quads and triangles?)

Are you still using Affine mapping as well? I assume you tried many of the same tricks PlayStation programmers used to get around the perspective problem with affine mapping, and those were unsatisfactory? (ie using "subdivided" affine mapping) And I imagine using polygon "decals" in place of textures wasn't desirable either. (though in some places it could probably look ok, especially with selectively applied gouraud shading. (Iron Soldier II seems to have done a pretty good job with that)

Are you planning on doing some of the objects/environment with sprites as well? (I mean actual characters/enemies/objects/vehicles/buildings not just effects like explosions or weapons fire)

The voxel rendering looks great.

Edited by kool kitty89

So is your current re-write of the polygon renderer working with quads? (or flexible for both quads and triangles?)

Are you still using Affine mapping as well? I assume you tried many of the same tricks PlayStation programmers used to get around the perspective problem with affine mapping, and those were unsatisfactory? (ie using "subdivided" affine mapping) And I imagine using polygon "decals" in place of textures wasn't desirable either. (though in some places it could probably look ok, especially with selectively applied gouraud shading. (Iron Soldier II seems to have done a pretty good job with that)

Are you planning on doing some of the objects/environment with sprites as well? (I mean actual characters/enemies/objects/vehicles/buildings not just effects like explosions or weapons fire)

The voxel rendering looks great.

OK :)

Yes - Quads & Trias

Yes - Affine still, Yes - i have tried many methods, Yes - the Decals don't work too well, the subdivision methods were slow.

No - landscape is voxels - objects, etc are polys (some MAY be sprites to save processing time, but not currently)

Glad you like the look - what is possibly going to be shown for JagFest is a significantly advanced from what is on the blog

Edited by Atari_Owl

Yes - Quads & Trias

So actual 4-point quadrilateral primitives, not just 2 triangles pasted together like the blog shows?

No - landscape is voxels - objects, etc are polys (some MAY be sprites to save processing time, but not currently)

Interesting, Phase Zreo seems to use all sprites along with the voxel terrain, I think th esprites look good for trees and brush, but polygonal ships might have been nicer in that case too. (even just g-shaded models)

Yes - Quads & Trias

So actual 4-point quadrilateral primitives, not just 2 triangles pasted together like the blog shows?

Interesting, Phase Zreo seems to use all sprites along with the voxel terrain, I think th esprites look good for trees and brush, but polygonal ships might have been nicer in that case too. (even just g-shaded models)

HI

Yes - actual four point quad primitives NOT 2 triangles pasted together

My trees are polys - personally i like that they thus look different from different angles, it helps one gain one's bearings.

One of the reasons Phase Zero has such high fps is because all it is handling is the voxels and sprites, this is just as well as its a far more kinetic game, but mine is doing a lot more work and hence won't have quite such a high fps - but is still comparable with other games of the type at the time.

Now I've been asked on JSII if Calico would be prepared to do music for other projects.

She's a very busy lady - but she will consider them (I was going to post her email but to save her from spambots picking up on a posted email, please just contact me and I'll put you in touch with her)

Edited by Atari_Owl

I've had some ffedback about the blog - that perhaps its a little too technical.

To this end i've extended some of my explanations and introduced an easier way of grouping posts to history, announcements or technical (with some crossover).

Any feedback about content and how it could be improved would be very helpful.

Well the JagFest UK is over for another year - it was great to see all the old faces again as well as several new ones.

Also great to get a chance to talk shop with SubQMod and Crazyace.

Good also to see Many rare consoles and games in action, and *THREE* copies of MadBodies. It was also great to see Stephen Moss' PS2 controller adapteer reading the analog sticks and controlling the motors. It is absolutely my intention to support this controller in our project

As promised, the engine was demo'd and in a better condition than shown in the previous screenshots.

post-2007-12534608157_thumb.jpg

After much soul searching I felt that perhaps it would defeat the purpose to show at E-Jagfest exactly what would be shown in a vid.

I ask everyone therefore to please bear with us until after E-Jagfest.

I shall revise the demo with some points I noticed at the JFUK event and then after E-jagfest I WILL make a properly acquired/capped vid file available for everyone to see.

I'm terribly sorry to add this delay - but it will be improved by then, but I feel it is the most sensible approach for E-JagFest.

And goodness knows there is still a long time before such a large project can be finished.

There WILL however be a little of omf's video taken at JFUK made available before that.

Edited by Atari_Owl

That last screenshot looks amazing, i was impressed with the previous ones, but that last one...WOW :lust:!

The textured mapped polygons look great (i would say some of the best seen on the Jag) and they really gel great with the voxel landsape, the combination looks better than i hoped, and i already had great expectations for the graphics!

Kudos for AtariOwl and anyone involved on the project. Man, Pier Solar for the Sega Genesis, and Owls project for the Jag are taking homebrew development on those consoles (my 2 favorite ones :love:) to a whole new level!