IGNORED

Atari Owl Project?

Atari_Owl

Umm I wouldn't say intentionally overall - but of course it has been an influence (particularly in the early stages as our own styles progress)... After all, why not learn from the best?

We hope though that people will eventually find our project to be a unique and exciting gaming experience in its own right :).

Plus, we are constantly learning and improving - it will evolve - we have some big ideas.

We're working on a video to let people see how it moves too - this should follow fairly shortly.

Raven's blog will show some of the textures in more detail too.

Edited by Atari_Owl
  • Like 1

Damn, those indoor screenshots look terrific. I had no idea they would look so good man. They look better than a lot of playstation polygonal games... i love voxels! Love the art direction too, this is looking incredible so far, hard to believe its a Jaguar game. Owl, you are really one of a kind, keep up the amazing work you are doing!!!

Indeed we have. And we were impressed (I was especially impressed with the indoor scene).

I hope the frame rate doesn't drop too much when more objects and/or NPCs are displayed.

Thorsten

I believe Starcat said that they were rendering the main character 4 times to simulate how the game would run when NPC's and objects are added. That what was shown was very smooth, and it looked great as well. Impressive 3D rendering on the Jaguar!

That is correct so in fact the engine should run faster than in the demo... when there are few objects and no NPCs

In fact that was x4 for the indoor scene, x6 for the exteriors.

In addition, whilst it wasn't controlling the behaviour of anything, collision detection was also running, the code just wasn't curtailing movement as a result of the detected collisions... YET.

Edited by Atari_Owl

Just saw the new video, my jaw dropped when i saw the indoor enviroment in action :lust: , then i put attention to the music and wow... its great :love: ! Owl, have you had Jaguar consoles actually explode from the stress of drawing those amazing graphics?

This is shaping up better than i could ever expect. I wish i had a fraction of the talent the people involved in this project have.

Great job, congratulations :) !

Im simply blown away but not at all suprised. Fantastic job as expected and even more than expected.

Owl Rules!

Gorf, are we too far away from seeing some media of your stuff? Owls project video has me wanting to see more Jaguar awesome incredibleness!!!!

There is one other thing I'd like to add...

I'm extremely grateful for all the kind words about my coding on this project it's been a fairly long hard road even this far.

I do need to add however, that I wouldn't have got this far and even if i had what you'd have seen wouldn't have been even half as good as what there is without three very important people:

Firstly: Beth (Raven), my wonderful wife who designed the textures in the demo (and a great many more images and textures you've not seen yet). Her design work has been absolutely superb and a constant inspiration to us all to push harder to do justice to her work. In addition, making textures that work well with the Jag is not a simple task, some work better than others, and her skill in creating JUST the right textures for a given situation is extraordinary.

Furthermore, she has played a MAJOR part behind the scenes designing characters, creatures and dungeons. A very large part of this project is down to her work, which largely goes unsung.

Secondly: Mythili (Calico) has been part of this project for a few years now showing faith in us even before there was much of an engine to show. Her music extends far beyond what you've heard so far and has also inspired the rest of the team to push as hard as possible so that the whole project live up to her contribution.

Thirdly: Lars (Starcat) has also a significant amount of work in the project that you've not yet seen. He's been consistently patient with my demands and whines and supplied some superb 3D work - in addition, his help with testing has been invaluable - spotting MANY glitches and bugs needing attention.

Simply put: The project wouldn't exist without the hard work and dedication of these individuals.

:) TEAM ... :) I SALUTE YOU! :love:

I can't tell you how grateful I am for all you hard work and wonderful contributions :love:

Edited by Atari_Owl
  • Like 1

Im simply blown away but not at all suprised. Fantastic job as expected and even more than expected.

Owl Rules!

Gorf, are we too far away from seeing some media of your stuff? Owls project video has me wanting to see more Jaguar awesome incredibleness!!!!

No, because we will not release any such media until the product is ready for release

(proividing we bother to release anything.)

Burned once, shame on them. Burned twice, shame on us.

Edited by Gorf

Owl Rules!

No, because we will not release any such media until the product is ready for release

(proividing we bother to release anything.)

Burned once, shame on them. Burned twice, shame on us.

I am sorry Gorf, but i had to ask. Owls video left me horny for more Jag stuff. hehe.

Back to topic, i showed my brother the video, since he is not a Jag fan (Sony fanboy), and he couldnt believe that this is for the Jaggy, he was really impressed, not only by the graphics but said that it looks really interesting, hehe, the nonbeliever. I think this project will convert him into one of us Jagfans ;) .

Thank you very much Joe!

I'm very happy to work with you and be a part of such an exciting project. I can't wait to see more of it, as it progresses.

Keep up the amazing work.

Speaking of amazing work, I have to salute Joe, Beth and Mythili.

Joe, you're no only a friend, but also the best jag coder there is, I believe. You pushed the Jag further than anybody so far. I don't know how you did it, but I am just glad you did. Great work! It's your and Beth's project so of course you fully deserve the credit. I just enjoy being a part of it. Beth your texture work is amazing, much better than my quick approaches and they create a great mood for the game. I love wall, door and window textures. Afterall one of the strong points in this engine is the textures.

One thing hardly any jag engine was ever good at and I am still impressed about how high the resolution of the textures is compared to other jag titles. I don't think any playstation game uses bigger textures than this either. Your work has a biggest influence on the overall look of the game, as no model is really complete without the right texture. Keep up the great work! :)

Mythili, while I don't know if you even know or read this forum, we're glad to have you in the team. Your music perfectly supports the athmosphre of the game and is a great source of inspiration for us.

I have to say I am also very glad how positive the feedback was. I don't think there is anything not to be excited about, but usually there always are a few people who can't give credit to a great development, but in this case, I am impressed how well the receiption was so far.

Let's hope it stays that way. :)

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Hi Everyone

Some rather good news - hopefully of particular interest for our German friends... our good friend Daniel (108Stars) has had an article concerning Retro Consoles published in leading German Gaming Magazine M!Games issue 8/2010 (Published July 2nd).

In addition to this being good news for Daniel (he thoroughly deserves it) its also good news for us - as there is discussion and a screenshot of the Atari Owl Project within his article.

Danke Schoen Daniel! :) You're a star (or rather 108 to be exact :D)

M!Games 8/2010

German

English

All the Best

Edited by Atari_Owl

• 1 year later...

Hi Everyone

I recently got a couple of slightly worried messages asking if the project is abandoned.

I can assure everyone it is NOT gone.

Work, racing and other life priorities have merely got in the way a bit this year.

Sorry to have been so quiet.

All the Best

AO

Edit: I should have said though, Many Thanks, its good to know people are still interested :)

Edited by Atari_Owl
  • Like 4