IGNORED

AdamEm Emulator for Windows Vista

ColecoFan1981

You know what ColecoVision & Adam emulator I'd like to see be made compatible for Windows Vista and other newer Windows platforms (cf. Windows 7, XP)? AdamEm!

And when this emulator devised by Marcel de Kogel ever does get reconfigured for compatibility with all the latest Windows OS's, here's some palette fixes to be implemented:

TMS-9928A (NTSC ColecoVision & Adam) Palette colors (from information compiled by Joe Zbiciak aka INTVNut):

*Black (RGB 0, 0, 0)

*Medium Green (RGB 35, 203, 50)

*Light Green (RGB 96, 221, 108)

*Dark Blue (RGB 84, 78, 255)

*Light Blue (RGB 125, 112, 255)

*Dark Red (RGB 210, 84, 66)

*Cyan (RGB 69, 232, 255)

*Medium Red (RGB 250, 89, 72)

*Light Red (RGB 255, 124, 108)

*Dark Yellow (RGB 211, 198, 60)

*Light Yellow (RGB 229, 210, 109)

*Dark Green (RGB 35, 178, 44)

*Magenta (RGB 200, 90, 198)

*Gray (RGB 204, 204, 204)

*White (RGB 255, 255, 255)

TMS-9929A (PAL CBS ColecoVision & Adam) (using information from the TMS9100 series datasheet, also courtesy of Joe Z.):

*Black (RGB 0, 0, 0)

*Medium Green (RGB 84, 208, 51)

*Light Green (RGB 110, 235, 135)

*Dark Blue (RGB 102, 103, 255)

*Light Blue (RGB 143, 135, 255)

*Dark Red (RGB 245, 84, 110)

*Cyan (RGB 66, 236, 245)

*Medium Red (RGB 255, 102, 128)

*Light Red (RGB 255, 135, 161)

*Dark Yellow (RGB 222, 205, 84)

*Light Yellow (RGB 237, 220, 99)

*Dark Green (RGB 49, 191, 74)

*Magenta (RGB 219, 109, 204)

TMS-9918A (alternate NTSC palette):

*Black (RGB 0, 0, 0)

*Medium Green (RGB 71, 184, 59)

*Light Green (RGB 125, 207, 112)

*Dark Blue (RGB 99, 92, 168)

*Light Blue (RGB 128, 112, 255)

*Dark Red (RGB 181, 97, 71)

*Cyan (RGB 93, 200, 237)

*Medium Red (RGB 214, 107, 71)

*Light Red (RGB 250, 143, 107)

*Dark Yellow (RGB 209, 198, 67)

*Light Yellow (RGB 222, 211, 121)

*Dark Green (RGB 64, 163, 51)

*Magenta (RGB 181, 99, 199)

~Ben

Edited by ColecoFan1981

You know what ColecoVision & Adam emulator I'd like to see be made compatible for Windows Vista and other newer Windows platforms (cf. Windows 7, XP)? AdamEm!

Like this version WIP by Geoff Oltmans ? adamem_sdl_win32_1_6.zip

To use this version you need the dll file for the SDL functions... Otherwise it will not works.

ALT-F11 reset as ColecoVision console

ALT-F12 reset as Coleco Adam computer

F9 to set your keyboard as joystick mode instead of Coleco Adam keyboard

And yes, by default it's PAL 50Hz emulation.

Place your Colecovision rom file into the folder as CART.ROM before executing the emulator if you only want to double-click on the application icon to use it. So far, I was unable to use this emulator properly, so don't ask me any questions about it.

Edited by newcoleco

================================================
    |   |              |        8-bit value        |
    |   |              =============================
    |   |              |   TMS9928A  |   TMS9118   |
    |   |              | (frame grab)| (calculated)|
    |   |              =============================
    |hex|    color     |  R   G   B  |  R   G   B  |
    | 1 | Black        |   0  16   0 |   0   0   0 |
    | 2 | Medium Green |  16 191   0 |  71 183  59 |
    | 3 | Light Green  |  64 192  32 | 124 207 111 |
    | 4 | Dark Blue    |  64  63 255 |  93  78 255 |
    | 5 | Light Blue   |  96  95 255 | 128 114 255 |
    | 6 | Dark Red     | 160  80  16 | 182  98  71 |
    | 7 | Cyan         |  47 192 208 |  93 200 237 |
    | 8 | Medium Red   | 207  79  15 | 215 107  72 |
    | 9 | Light Red    | 224 111  32 | 251 143 108 |
    | A | Dark Yellow  | 160 175   0 | 195 205  65 |
    | B | Light Yellow | 175 175  31 | 211 218 118 |
    | C | Dark Green   |  16 144   0 |  62 159  47 |
    | D | Magenta      | 159  79 160 | 182 100 199 |
    | E | Grey         | 159 160 143 | 204 204 204 |
    | F | White        | 191 207 175 | 255 255 255 |

There are clearly differences between the RGB values from the framegrab and the calculated values for the TMS9118 VDP

The framegrab is "warmer": the colors are more saturated. Also, the "white" of the framegrab isn't really very white, but is instead rather grey. The framegrab "black" also has a distinct greenish cast to it.

The remarkable result of this comparison is that the phase angles of all the colors are virtually the same between the framegrab and the calculated 9118 values. The main differences are in

1. the luminance values, which are low in the framegrab, and

2. the chrominance values, which are greater in the framegrab.

In other words, trying to change the color palette to be "more accurate" is questionnable because every monitor and tvset has their own settings for contrast, saturation, etc.

A gamma of 1.0 is for a perfectly linear response. A typical gamma for a television set is 2.2. When I changed the gamma of the RasterOps framegrabber board to 2.2, and looked at the live ADAM colorbar video display, I saw a color palette which looked (IMHO) very similar to Marat Fayzullin's palette for the TMS9938. Hmm...is it possible that the RGB values Marat used were gamma-corrected, and needed to be uncorrected?

I've found this long time ago at http://users.stargate.net/~drushel/pub/coleco/twwmca/wk961201.html

To be honnest, not satured colors is what I'm seeing when using my real ColecoVision console plugged to a typical monitor... because it's not a tvset with the color saturation effect. So, for me, the calculated values are the right ones, and they are already present in ColEm and AdamEm.

Edited by newcoleco

I've forgot to mention that news about this emulator was mentionned during the Adamcon 21, summer 2009, and the emulator itself was shown during the Adamcon 20, summer 2008. That's why I was aware of it.

The AdamEm version for Windows and MacOS I've uploaded here was sent to me earlier this year (2009). The next version (I don't have it yet) is supposed to support 2 joysticks, I'm talking about using real joysticks or gamepads with your computer here.

• 6 months later...

The AdamEm version for Windows and MacOS I've uploaded here was sent to me earlier this year (2009). The next version (I don't have it yet) is supposed to support 2 joysticks, I'm talking about using real joysticks or gamepads with your computer here.

Sorry if I've missed it, but could you point me to the MacOS version? I've looked all over this site and haven't found it.

Also, do you know if Geoff Oltmans has a site to track his progress with this emu?

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry if I've missed it, but could you point me to the MacOS version? I've looked all over this site and haven't found it.

Also, do you know if Geoff Oltmans has a site to track his progress with this emu?

Actually ADAMem has been configured to work thru DOSbox by Steve Pitman (author of such great ADAM games as MicroChip, ADAM Bomb and ADAM Bomb II). Steve has written a full-featured frontend called Virtual ADAM that uses DOSbox to run ADAMem and it works great on XP and Vista (don't have Windows 7 on any of my systems but it should work on it as well) with full sound and USB gamepad/joystick support. There are some conflicts with ALT+key combinations for swapping disk/ddp images, but on the whole I have been using it for about 5 months now as it's the best option for ADAM emulation for people with newer versions of Windows.

You can download it from Joe Blenkle's ADAM Computer Webpage in the downloads section, the current version is 1.03. Also, check out the link on his page for PDF'ed ADAM Users Group newletters if your interested in A LOT of info on the ADAM, there are about 160 available on his site and a large, but not complete, listing with screenshots of ADAM and Coleco software.

http://www.sacnews.net/adamcomputer/index.html

Jim Notini

Actually ADAMem has been configured to work thru DOSbox by Steve Pitman (author of such great ADAM games as MicroChip, ADAM Bomb and ADAM Bomb II). Steve has written a full-featured frontend called Virtual ADAM that uses DOSbox to run ADAMem and it works great on XP and Vista (don't have Windows 7 on any of my systems but it should work on it as well) with full sound and USB gamepad/joystick support. There are some conflicts with ALT+key combinations for swapping disk/ddp images, but on the whole I have been using it for about 5 months now as it's the best option for ADAM emulation for people with newer versions of Windows.

You can download it from Joe Blenkle's ADAM Computer Webpage in the downloads section, the current version is 1.03. Also, check out the link on his page for PDF'ed ADAM Users Group newletters if your interested in A LOT of info on the ADAM, there are about 160 available on his site and a large, but not complete, listing with screenshots of ADAM and Coleco software.

Jim Notini

I've got to agree. Thanks to Steve Pitman for a great front end for ADAM in Windows(via Dosbox). I've used it for a while now and it takes out the clunkyness of using ADAMem. Some great features do go along with it. Bravo Steve and thanks.

Chuck

• 2 months later...

Jim Notini

I've got to agree. Thanks to Steve Pitman for a great front end for ADAM in Windows(via Dosbox). I've used it for a while now and it takes out the clunkyness of using ADAMem. Some great features do go along with it. Bravo Steve and thanks.

Chuck

Could someone post v1.01 and v1.02 of Virtual Adam? Thanks.

Jim Notini

Chuck

Could someone post v1.01 and v1.02 of Virtual Adam? Thanks.

There are a number of bugs that affect operation (not teribly) in the earlier versions, so your best to stick with V1.03. As you will find out there are some issues/conflicts with DOSbox in all versions that Steve is trying to correct.

If you still want the earlier versions, leave a message here and I will dig them up.

Jim

• 2 months later...

hello

I downloaded the program off this topic I get nowhere

the image is very small and I get stuck at the typewriter?

What does it take to start a game and a picture ADAM bigger, I tried ALT input but the image is all weird?

Sorry for the Google Français

Best Regards

FR : Pour jouer ROM Coleco avec ce logiciel, tu peux faire ceci : Placer ROM dans le répertoire de l'émulateur, le renommer "cart.rom", exécuter émulateur, appuyer sur "ALT+F11" pour changer en mode ColecoVision, appuyer sur "F11" pour activer simulation manette de jeu. Et c'est "ALT+F10" pour quitter l'émulateur proprement.

EN : To play Coleco ROM qith this software, you can do this : Put ROM file into emulator folder, rename the file "cart.rom", run emulator, press "ALT+F11" to switch to ColecoVision mode, press "F11" to activate joystick simulation. And "ALT+F10" to quit properly ADAMEm.

Edited by newcoleco

bon j'espère pouvoir continuer en FR.

Donc j'ai renommer le jeu d'une cartouche en cart.rom, et fait ALT F11 qui lance l'émulation de la console, mais lorsque il faut choisir le nombre de joueur, ca ne change rien à croire que mon clavier n'existe pas pourtant c'est le même qui me sert à écrire ce post.

Pour vous permettre de m'aider d'avantage, je suis sous windows seven 64 bits, mon clavier est branché sur un port USB, ma souris ainsi qu'une manette PS2.

Ce qui est bizarre c'est que pour le mode ADAM machine à écrire toutes les touches du clavier sont OK

et j'ai testé de changer le nom d'un jeu ADAM (dragon's lair) un fichier finissant par .dsk en le nommant par cart.rom et là ca ne marche pas du tout

sinon voici la versien en EN

So I rename the game cartridge in cart.rom, ALT and F11 is that starts the emulation of the console, but when one must choose the number of players, it makes no difference to believe that my keyboard does yet it is not the same that I use to write this post.

To help you help me more, I'm under 64 bit windows seven, my keyboard is plugged into a USB port, my mouse and a PS2 controller.

What is bizarre is that for the ADAM typewriter keyboard all are OK

and I tried to change the name of a game (ADAM dragon's lair) a file ending with. dsk cart.rom by naming it and then it does not work at all

Donc j'ai renommer le jeu d'une cartouche en cart.rom, et fait ALT F11 qui lance l'émulation de la console, mais lorsque il faut choisir le nombre de joueur, ca ne change rien à croire que mon clavier n'existe pas pourtant c'est le même qui me sert à écrire ce post.

Tu as oublié de faire F11 pour activer le mode joystick.

You can't rename a .dsk file .rom ....dsk files are disk images and won't run as a rom file. They should be loaded into the disk drive, not as a cartridege.

Pour vous permettre de m'aider d'avantage, je suis sous windows seven 64 bits, mon clavier est branché sur un port USB, ma souris ainsi qu'une manette PS2.

Ce qui est bizarre c'est que pour le mode ADAM machine à écrire toutes les touches du clavier sont OK

et j'ai testé de changer le nom d'un jeu ADAM (dragon's lair) un fichier finissant par .dsk en le nommant par cart.rom et là ca ne marche pas du tout

sinon voici la versien en EN

So I rename the game cartridge in cart.rom, ALT and F11 is that starts the emulation of the console, but when one must choose the number of players, it makes no difference to believe that my keyboard does yet it is not the same that I use to write this post.

To help you help me more, I'm under 64 bit windows seven, my keyboard is plugged into a USB port, my mouse and a PS2 controller.

What is bizarre is that for the ADAM typewriter keyboard all are OK

and I tried to change the name of a game (ADAM dragon's lair) a file ending with. dsk cart.rom by naming it and then it does not work at all

le F11 je dois appuyé après Alt F11 ou avant ?

et pourquoi les jeux ADAM ne marchent ils pas ?

If you are just starting out with ADAM emulation, your best bet is "Virtual ADAM v1.03", it is downloadable from the two links in the footer of my message. You can also try M.E.S.S., but emulation of the ADAM is no where near complete.

Using ADAMem SDL will probably cause you a lot of headaches and grief if you are not familiar with all the ins and outs of using computer emulators... especially those developed under SDL that do not include a GUI and require the user to enter parameters to implement emulator functions.

As a final note, further ADAMem SDL development seems to have come to a halt by Geoff Oltmans and the project has been passed onto Dale Wick. Since Dale has taken over there has been absolutely no new news. So once again, ADAMem with ADAMem Manager (for Windows XP and earlier) and or Virtual ADAM (for all Windows versions up to and including "7") are your best bets. There are a number of issues in emulation of the ADAM and as a fall back you can try M.E.S.S. (this works with all versions of Windows and there are numerous ports to other OSes).

Jim

Edited by NIAD

Hello Jim

I tried to play with virtual Adam but I can not choose the number of players with the PC keyboard, yet typewriter mode that appears when I hit I do not know why it gets stuck in the keyboard when I want to play by exemple Dragon's Lair

If you have an idea of what I must do that it works I'm interested

Thank you in advance for your help.

Another question, why the author of Adamem does he not recompile the software to continuously work with the OS today?

Best regards

You may try hitting F9 to toggle between keyboard and joystick mode in the emulator. If you can't choose the number of players, hit F9 and try again.

The original developer of ADAMem has not done any updates to it in many years and apparently no longer answers his emails when any questions about it are sent his way.

For right now, the Virtual ADAM front end is the best solution. The person who wrote it -- Steve Pitman -- hopes to write a new ADAM emulator from scratch at some point. Hopefully he will have a new version of Virtual ADAM out soon that will correct a few more bugs and possibly allow you to finally swap disks and data packs without exiting the emulator.

Joe Blenkle

www.sacnews.net/adamcomputer

Hello Jim

I tried to play with virtual Adam but I can not choose the number of players with the PC keyboard, yet typewriter mode that appears when I hit I do not know why it gets stuck in the keyboard when I want to play by exemple Dragon's Lair

Another question, why the author of Adamem does he not recompile the software to continuously work with the OS today?

Best regards

It is a pity that the author of Adamem not released the sources of their program so that someone else keeps its software up to date with developments of the OS and the enrichment of new features.

Nobody knows his new email address, I sent in my hand, a mail asking him to at least re-compiled for the emulator that runs on Vista / Seven, and the mail did not leave the address is no longer valid

i use version 1.0.3. virtual ADAM

It is a pity that the author of Adamem not released the sources of their program so that someone else keeps its software up to date with developments of the OS and the enrichment of new features.

AdamEm fait par Marcel de Kogel, le code source est disponible sur son site web depuis 1998-1999 et se compile avec djgpp. Cependant, pour ce qui est de la version SDL, ce n'Est pas la même personne alors c'est une autre histoire.

thank you for the information

you one could have the site address so I can see what I can do to at least the system is running vista / seven?

I like site address homepage de kogel but I see nothing that resembles a program source?

Actually toggle the F9 key on the keyboard, but having a keyboard in FR, I can not find the * and # keys, I discovered that the ALT and AltGr correspond to left and right buttons of the joystick.

Edited by bidouiller

Hello Jim

Best regards

Some of these questions I see where already answered or touched on, but I'll touch on them again as well as some other stuff to hopefully get you going.

- If you are running Windows XP or earlier, first try ADAMem v1.1 with the ADAMem Manager Frontend (think v1.0). ADAMem Manager is a streamlined frontend by Marcel de Kogel specifically for ADAMem when compared to Virtual ADAM and this will help get you started in using the emulator and understanding all it's features.

- If you are using Windows Vista or Windows 7, you will have to go with Virtual ADAM v1.03. Virtual ADAM is a self-contained MSI installation that includes EVERYTHING you need: DOSbox, ADAMem and Virtual ADAMem.

- MOST IMPORTANT - read the ADAMem documentation!! This is extremely necessary and you will get a better understanding of the emulator parameters/switches that are available.

- MOST IMPORTANT 2 - when using Virtual ADAM, view the built-in help screens!!

As far as the source code for ADAMem, it is a DOS program that was last worked on in 1999 and the author has been out of touch since I think around 2003. If you do get the source, you can also compare it to the MESS source code for ColecoVision as well as ADAM emulation, etc.

To play a cartridge game in ADAMem with ADAMem Manager: use the ColecoVision emulation option, this will allow you to immmediately play the game and use your controller without making any other changes. If you use the ADAM emulation option, you will have to press "F9" after booting the cart rom image to switch input emulation from the ADAM keyboard (your physical keyboard) to the Hand Controller (your gamepad, etc.). Then the number keys will represent the controller keypad ( 0-9, - and = ) and if you are getting no response from them try the numpad number buttons.

Virtual ADAM does not have an option to run in only ColecoVision emulation mode so you will have to use the "F9" switch anytime you want to use a gamepad for control. Even if you want to plat a cart game with the keyboard arrow keys and the ALT and CTRL buttons, you will have to press the "F9" key!! Some ADAM software works with both the ADAM Keyboard and ADAM Hand Controller, so therefore you will have to switch back and forth with the "F9" key when required.

I hope this helps and doesn't confuse you anymore. The most important thing, however, is to read the instuctions forward and back and when you think you understand everything... print them out and have them on hand when you use the emulator. This actually holds true for pretty much ALL emulators of computers, you can get away without reading the instructions for console emulators, but computer emulators are a different ballgame.

Jim

The "*" and "#" buttons on the joystick are the "-" and "=" keys on your keyboard.

thank you for the information

you one could have the site address so I can see what I can do to at least the system is running vista / seven?

I like site address homepage de kogel but I see nothing that resembles a program source?

Actually toggle the F9 key on the keyboard, but having a keyboard in FR, I can not find the * and # keys, I discovered that the ALT and AltGr correspond to left and right buttons of the joystick.

• Like 1

Check something called : "ADAMEm 1.0 (23-2-99) Includes MS-DOS, Linux/SVGALib and Unix/X drivers." it's the source code (package deal) of ADAMEm

In my opinion, this emulator is still the best since 1999, better than ColEm and clones, because it integrated the calculated color palette from the technical documentation, the support of the steering wheel and the roller controller (using the mouse if you know how to use the emulator), and can play Coleco ADAM software too... all this since 1999. The only issue so far is the lack of digital sounds; games like Sewer Sam and Squish'em Sam are playable but no voice in them with this emulator. Hopefully, the sound rendering if pretty good, with a litle reverb effect to simulate tv set speaker effect (somehow). And it's a Coleco ADAM emulator so it plays Coleco ADAM software, including the super games.

Edited by newcoleco