IGNORED

Games with best graphics

eegad

I was going to ask the same question because I wanted to know if it was possible to put a screen full of quad size black PMGs under the Head over Heels screen so you could have a black background instead of a sickly "off colour" one. Maybe some people don't mind but it ruins the foreground for me.

Pete

I think Knight Lore does it in bottom part of screen ?

post-14652-125261521801_thumb.png

And Amaorote pulled it off with black and white... :)

post-14652-125261524537_thumb.png

I think Knight Lore does it in bottom part of screen ?
That's using pmgs to create a colour zone for the panel as mentioned previously

EDIT: To explain better, I mean PMG overlays are used to have that zone (area) in different colours. You can place a player on the screen in that mode to provide the 2 new colours (1 col, 2 lum) but you can never have a black background with red text for example only 2 luminances of the same colour

Edited by Tezz

For example, say you select $0 (black) for your background colour then you have 0,2,4,6,8,A,C,E as the 8 available lums to choose. If you choose $20 as your background colour then the same applies for your choice of lum 20,22,24,26,28,2A,2C,2E. so basically you have 1 colour and 2 lums in that mode and a player overlay can be used to change the background colour in an area to provide another colour with two lums.

post-4724-125261815242_thumb.png

Talking of Knightlore, when xxl also did a great job converting Jet Set Willy from the Spectrum original in 2007 it at last righted the wrongs of that original dreadful A8 released version although I was kind of hoping that some more pmg overlays were going be used in the conversions final version as well as setting the border colour to look more like the original but hey ho.

Either way anyhow, it's great to have the correct version of this game and others available from xxl's great work.

It's funny how things go around I thought with that as Matthew Smith created the game after playing Miner 2049er on the Atari and then his game gets ported over from the Spectrum.

post-4724-125262102198_thumb.png

bathroom.zip

Edited by Tezz

there are certain people who post on this forum who will burn crosses on your front lawn for speaking such heresy. then have u publicly flogged thru the streets.

Sounds like my idea of a fun afternoon... no more or less masochistic than what i was actually doing, at least. =-)

I was going to ask the same question because I wanted to know if it was possible to put a screen full of quad size black PMGs under the Head over Heels screen so you could have a black background instead of a sickly "off colour" one. Maybe some people don't mind but it ruins the foreground for me.

Pete

unfortunately the 320 mode only allows only 1 colour in 2 lums so placing a black pmg underlay across the screen would only make the graphics white (or whatever you set the lum to). You can use pmg's in other ways for additional colour such as masking zones of the screen but it has to be said that the mode is very restrictive. Amongst many things on the A8 wish list, I wish they would have provided a map mode as many of the other platforms had available.

Jesus christ Tezz be quiet for gods sake.

there are certain people who post on this forum who will burn crosses on your front lawn for speaking such heresy. then have u publicly flogged thru the streets.

:)

Why? Tezz seems to be a really nice guy! :D

yeah, you know, even though the graphics of Mercenery weren't fantastic, i was always impressed (at the time) with the ability to move freely through a 3D space like that. The other games at the time that impressed me (more so, but for the same reason) were the Alternate Reality games. Both Mercenery and Alternate Reality were ahead of their time, and what's interesting to note is the coincidence that both were released by DataSoft.

Most good games got mentioned already. So I have to put Montezuma's Revenge in.

Back in the day, this game frustrated me and I never got anywhere with it. This past week, I spent a while playing it again, and came away with the same feeling - it's potentially a great game. But it's really hard and frustrating! (at least for me!). Any tips, hints, maps, walk-thru's or anything for Montezuma???

And also....same thing for Amaroute. Game impressed me when I stumbled upon it in the late 80s. Could never get anywhere with it. Maps, hints, cheats, etc????

Most good games got mentioned already. So I have to put Montezuma's Revenge in.

Back in the day, this game frustrated me and I never got anywhere with it. This past week, I spent a while playing it again, and came away with the same feeling - it's potentially a great game. But it's really hard and frustrating! (at least for me!). Any tips, hints, maps, walk-thru's or anything for Montezuma???

Go Here: Mapy

"hints?".... emulation with save states...