IGNORED

HSC Season 7 Week 4: Donkey Kong

Ze_ro

Important Note: This weeks competition is over and no further scores will be accepted.

Can you save Pauline from the clutches of Donkey Kong? Help Mario scale the construction site to rescue his girlfriend, Pauline. Dodge the fireballs and barrels that Donkey Kong hurls down the ramps and ladders to thwart your efforts.

s_DonkeyKong_2.png

Game Information
  • Game Name: Donkey Kong
  • Released By: Coleco, 1982
  • Left Difficulty: N/A
  • Right Difficulty: N/A
  • Game Mode: Default
  • Chosen By: flammingcowz & Nati

Post your scores right here in this thread, and I will add them to the list. Remember to play the game with the recommended game mode and difficulty settings as shown above so that your scores will be consistent with everyone elses. The deadline for posting scores is Wednesday September 16th at 1:00 AM (CST).

Current High Scores
  1. 357,700 (godzillajoe) [+11]
  2. 185,500 (Atardi) [+10]
  3. 165,300 (Deteacher) [+9]
  4. 139,800 (toymailman) [+8]
  5. 89,500 (shadow460) [+7]
  6. 88,200 (Captain Beard) [+6]
  7. 85,900 (Zoyx) [+5]
  8. 84,800 (vjames) [+4]
  9. 73,000 (Vectorman0) [+3]
  10. 66,700 (vintagegamecrazy) [+2]
  11. 62,800 (jeremysart) [+1]
  12. 57,400 (keilbaca) [+1]
  13. 55,200 (aftermac) [+1]
  14. 52,500 (chuckwalla) [+1]
  15. 51,300 (SpiceWare) [+1]
  16. 51,100 (darthkur) [+1]
  17. 34,500 (4Ks) [+1]
  18. 24,800 (roadrunner) [+1]
  19. 11,600 (Hornpipe2) [+1]
  20. 4900 (Nati) [+1]

Best Tips
  • Deteacher [+2]

Challenges
  • None yet

TwinGalaxies Top 3
  1. 849,600 (Robert T Mruczek)
  2. 822,500 (Ron Corcoran)
  3. 540,000 (Wolff K Morrow)
(Game 1, Difficulty B)
Current Standings
  1. Deteacher [28]
  2. Atardi [27]
  3. godzillajoe [26]
  4. toymailman [24]
  5. Captain Beard [20]
  6. darthkur [16]
  7. Zoyx [16]
  8. Vectorman0 [15]
  9. devwebcl [13]
  10. homerwannabee [11]
  11. Nathan Strum [10]
  12. SpiceWare [6]
  13. Mister VCS [6]
  14. keilbaca [5]
  15. vjames [5]
  16. aftermac [4]
  17. LarcenTyler [3]
  18. roadrunner [3]
  19. 4Ks [3]
  20. Shannon [2]
  21. shadow460 [2]
  22. sloth713 [2]
  23. Wickeycolumbus [2]
  24. ChrisKoopa [1]
  25. chuckwalla [1]
  26. Hornpipe2 [1]
  27. Impaler_26 [1]

Scoring Points in Donkey Kong
  • Jump a Barrel or Fireball - 100 points
  • Remove a Rivet - 100 points
  • Smash a Barrel or Fireball - 800 points
  • Starting Bonus Value - 5000 points
  • On completing the level, you receive the remaining bonus value, which gradually counts down.

Hints and Tips

The Manual

As always, you really should read the manual. In case you don't have the manual, AtariAge has a scanned copy available online. Unfortunately, it doesn't provide any specific hints.

It's also worth pointing out that we played this game a few years back. You might want to check it out for further hints.

Deteacher

You can kind of predict when the hammer is going to end, based on what the timer says when you pick it up. For example:

Pick up the hammer at 4500...hammer ends at 4000.

Pick up the hammer at 4400 or 4300...hammer ends at 3800.

Pick up the hammer at 4200 or 4100...hammer ends at 3600.

Just keep an eye on the timer and that should help with this level.

I rather like this game. Level 1 is pretty simple to get through. I lose all my lives on the unpredictability of the fireballs on the rivets level...and yes, the fireballs can (and will) cross over the gaps you leave. Problem is, you never know when, so be careful up there. :)

When you hit 80K, the fireballs get all jittery, but you can sort of control them by moving up and down the ladders. Moving up and down the ladders will make them move a little more smoothly. In fact, sometimes you don't even need to be on a ladder, just pressing up or down on the joystick will make them move a little better. Use this strategy to your advantage by getting the fireball on one side of the screen, then work on the other side. The jittery fireballs settle down around 120K but they return around 140K. These are just estimates

Around 120K, there's a barrel screen where the barrels don't go down any ladders. No real trick there, it was just something I noticed. ;)

--Zero

I can do MUCH better than this. All of my deaths came from unexpected hammer ending and a barrel right in front of me.

You can kind of predict when the hammer is going to end, based on what the timer says when you pick it up. For example:

Pick up the hammer at 4500...hammer ends at 4000.

Pick up the hammer at 4400 or 4300...hammer ends at 3800.

Pick up the hammer at 4200 or 4100...hammer ends at 3600.

Just keep an eye on the timer and that should help with this level.

I rather like this game. Level 1 is pretty simple to get through. I lose all my lives on the unpredictability of the fireballs on the rivets level...and yes, the fireballs can (and will) cross over the gaps you leave. Problem is, you never know when, so be careful up there. :)

When you hit 80K, the fireballs get all jittery, but you can sort of control them by moving up and down the ladders. Moving up and down the ladders will make them move a little more smoothly. In fact, sometimes you don't even need to be on a ladder, just pressing up or down on the joystick will make them move a little better. Use this strategy to your advantage by getting the fireball on one side of the screen, then work on the other side. The jittery fireballs settle down around 120K but they return around 140K. These are just estimates

Around 120K, there's a barrel screen where the barrels don't go down any ladders. No real trick there, it was just something I noticed. ;)

post-9712-12526202391_thumb.jpg

post-9712-12526202391_thumb.jpg

Creepy that I think I have that same exact dresser in one of my extra rooms.

And the TV even looks the same

Gett outta my house!

I never disliked this port. If you want to complain about a bad port of DK, try the Intellivision port :|

I could have done much better if I wasnt so tired.. just got done beating a few levels of Doom II GBA via GBPlayer on GC.

I hate those goddam genie lamps (yes I know they are supposed to be fireballs), especially when they decide to change direction while your jumping over them! :x Bastards...

post-24198-125272603297_thumb.jpg