IGNORED

Anyone ever call the old phone numbers?

VectorGamer

I haven't done this myself, but has anyone ever called the old phone numbers for like ColecoVision tech support that were published in user manuals and the like?

I haven't done it but the guys at this link have its a neat article.

http://www.humanclock.com/atariserver.php

Imagine an Atari 2600 webserver that doubles for playing maze craze in the wee hours of the morning when web traffic is slow!!icon_mrgreen.gif

I haven't done this myself, but has anyone ever called the old phone numbers for like ColecoVision tech support that were published in user manuals and the like?

What is actually more fun, IMHO, is visiting the former buildings where these companies were located. Most are just uninspiring office buildings, but it is still fun to visit the places where the games were developed.

What is actually more fun, IMHO, is visiting the former buildings where these companies were located. Most are just uninspiring office buildings, but it is still fun to visit the places where the games were developed.

I agree. I think Albert (or was it Tempest?) posted some pictures awhile back. Really cool, but not sure why!! LOL

I haven't either, but I read somewhere that Colecovision employees kept the tech support number alive for years after the system died since they were so dedicated to it. Not sure if that was true or not.

I haven't either, but I read somewhere that Colecovision employees kept the tech support number alive for years after the system died since they were so dedicated to it. Not sure if that was true or not.

Yes!!! I'm living proof. I actually called them back in like 85' or something like that and I got a lady on the phone and she says ".....uh we dont have those (Colecovisio) anymore". I was calling to find out if I could get a replacement power supply. I cant remember the year but I know it was around 85', just before the Nintendo came out. I was still playing my Coleco along with the C64.

lol

BTW: If anyone wants to know it was definitely the phone number in the manual or possibly a card insert.

Edited by cimerians

I've always wondered if anyone ever filled out one of those "get more info from advertisers" card in the back of vintage computer magazines. These were the cards with numbers you would circle to get pamphlets from companies that advertised. I'm sure a couple still have there original address and maybe they'll send you a vintage catalog! :D

I've always wondered if anyone ever filled out one of those "get more info from advertisers" card in the back of vintage computer magazines. These were the cards with numbers you would circle to get pamphlets from companies that advertised. I'm sure a couple still have there original address and maybe they'll send you a vintage catalog! :D

L00k for scans of the old mags and print them out.

I used to live in West Hartford, just a couple blocks from where Coleco HQ used to be. I didn't know at the time that Coleco had been based there. Did any game development go on at the West Hartford location, or was it strictly administrative? Are the relevant buildings still standing? It looks like the address (999 Quaker Lane) is recessed from the main road, so I sort of drove by there every day, but never took the side street/half-loop where the offices were.

I always try to call the old numbers, just to see what happens.

Just the other night at about 12am (I was bored) I called the number on the registration card for Colecovision Donkey Kong, and they are STILL taking calls for it, but they also do Scooter support for something or other. Give it a shot and see for yourself:

1-800-842-1225

Sega's number on the bottom of the Genesis is still good, and there are a bunch of numbers from my ComDex '94 book that are still good, but a lot are disconnected.

Hmmm...this can make for an interesting project...

LOL That would be a cool project. Just be sure and share the information with the board. Like I said, I have no idea why I'd find it interesting, but I would.

How would you present the information? You could almost do a YouTube thing where you hold up a magazine with the number, and call the number while recording yourself. Then tell the people what you discovered. Maybe keep a transcript of all your calls and the information you got for folks who just wanted to read through the information.

Well...what do we need for the documentation to make this entertaining?

Date/Time

Phone number

Description of number (e.g. Atari customer service)

Maybe document where the number was located (e.g. page 18 of owners manual)

Response (e.g. "I'm sorry, this is Acme World HQ")

Is there anything else?

Hmmm...this can make for an interesting project...

LOL That would be a cool project. Just be sure and share the information with the board. Like I said, I have no idea why I'd find it interesting, but I would.

How would you present the information? You could almost do a YouTube thing where you hold up a magazine with the number, and call the number while recording yourself. Then tell the people what you discovered. Maybe keep a transcript of all your calls and the information you got for folks who just wanted to read through the information.

Whoever's answering those numbers now, I really wouldn't prank them. That kind of treatment should only be reserved for telemarketers and other odious creatures. (See "Jim Florentine Terrorizes Telemarketers" for occasionally hilarious examples of that.)

It'd be much more interesting, and potentially funnier, to be forthright and play things straight. You never know what you might turn up.

Edited by thegoldenband

I have actually written letters to a few of the addresses found on the bottom of my stuff, like my portable CD player and my Game Gear.

Much to my surprise, I actually got flyers and stuff in the mail! The best one wasn't really a gaming company, though. It was Panasonic, and they sent me a 1997 calendar, info about every single product line they have, info about some of their manufacturing, and some other goodies.

I have actually written letters to a few of the addresses found on the bottom of my stuff, like my portable CD player and my Game Gear.

Much to my surprise, I actually got flyers and stuff in the mail! The best one wasn't really a gaming company, though. It was Panasonic, and they sent me a 1997 calendar, info about every single product line they have, info about some of their manufacturing, and some other goodies.

When did you write that letter? Please tell me it was recently, because if so Panasonic has a great sense of humor.