IGNORED

Season 2 5200 HSC Round 16 *Zaxxon*

darthkur

1181242188185.jpg

s_Zaxxon_3.png

As a crack pilot you have volunteered to take on the Zaxxon war machine. That means tackling two interstellar fortress' and the elite squadron of enemy fighters all just to get the chance to face-off with the merciless Zaxxon Command Robot itself. You will need to strafe along the surfaces of the fortresses dodging blaster fire from gun emplacements, missiles launched from silos and deadly force fields which leave little room for error. Keep and eye on your fuel gauge for your powerful fighter plane is always thirsty. Take out fuel tanks to resupply your energy.

Be careful and good luck.

Emulators are fine as is whatever controller you feel the most comfortable with. Screenshots are great but not mandatory. Please do not use any cheat/hack options. These include auto-fire, unlimited lives, invincibility, etc.

Settings: N/A

Contest ends on: 9-28-09 at 1:00am EST.

Final High Scores:

1st: Gabriel - 103,100 +11

2nd: DensB68 - 96,800 +10

3rd: darthkur - 84,900 +9

4th: ataridoctor - 68,450 +8

5th: Cafeman - 48,850 +7

6th: atariron82 - 33,800 +6

7th: chuckwalla - 28,600 +5

8th: NoahsMyBro - 16,800 +4

9th: roadrunner - 14,800 +3

10th: RangerG - 9,100 +2

Current Standings:

1st: Cafeman (138) (3)

2nd: darthkur (122) (3)

3rd: roadrunner (96)

4th: atariron82 (88) (1)

5th: DensB68 (87) (1)

6th: ckirkman (72) (2)

7th: NoahsMyBro (53)

8th: RangerG (51)

9th: doctorclu (48) (3)

10th: bohoki (39) (1)

11th: Scihorror (38)

12th: Shannon (36)

13th: LaserHawk (24)

14th: MIKE5200 (15)

15th: LarcenTyler (12)

16th: Chris-in-NJ (11) (1)

16th: thursday83 (11)

17th: shadow460 (8)

18th: midnight magicman (6)

18th: NML32 (6)

19th: atari_envy (5)

19th: Mingy Jongo (5)

20th: mightymage (4)

21st: phuzaxeman (2)

22nd: atariksi (1)

22nd: chuckwalla (1)

Numbers in RED are accumulated points. Numbers in BLUE are number of rounds won.

Link to the official manual:Zaxxon Manual

Edited by darthkur

I remembered not ever really liking Zaxxon, and thinking the game was overrated. But tonight I decided my memory was probably exaggerated, and the game probably wasn't all that bad.

That may be for the arcade game, but this rendition of Zaxxon is worse than I'd have imagined. It looks like some pitiful half-assed shareware game for the C64.

Our own Cafeman or Thomas Jentsch could probably have done something respectable with this even if I don't really care for the original game much to begin with, but this version of the game is truly a waste of cartridge shells that could be put to much better use. ICK.

Now, with that out of the way, I scored 10,000.

OK, now this is just pathetic. A few nights ago I scored 10,000.

Tonight? 10,050.

I notice the altitude gauge on the left side of the screen, but it seems to me to be just for show. Are any of you actually able to determine the height of on-screen objects - walls, planes, force fields, etc... - compared to the gauge, so you can know whether or not you are going to hit whatever it is? Everytime I encounter a force-field it's complete guess-work whether I go under/over it or run into it. For that matter, when I do luck out and manage to fly underneath the forcefield, it looks to me like I'm flying right through the thing.

I always marveled at those guys in the arcade that were actually good at this game; I was not one of them. I never quite got used to the angular perspective of the game. In defense of the 5200, this seems like the best version of this game for a home system.

So far:

post-21471-125323938598_thumb.jpg

The CV version has nicer graphics and the rising missiles (omitted from this 5200 version), but the scrolling of the CV version is very jerky and ruins it. 5200 version is much more smooth.

Just like the coin-op, you need to keep firing through the holes in the wall - if your shots go through , so will your ship. If you are getting close to the hole with shots hitting the wall below, usually just raising your ship a little gets you through at the last moment.

My current highest: 25,200.

Edited by Cafeman

Between the quality of this game, and the length of time it takes to restart after the previous Game Over, I can't tolerate more than 3 or 4 attempts in a sitting. Sunday night, after taking as much Zaxxon as I could stomach, I started up Berzerk and had some FUN.

I'm SO looking forward to next round.

Great score Gabriel.

Thanks. I had never played this before beyond making sure it worked. I kinda like it.

90,350 tonight.

The arbitrary kill bug has been catching me a lot tonight. I know it isn't fuel, because it's happening when I have a half full tank. And it's not running into anything, because it has happened several times tonight at that magic spot between where the plane killing section is over but before the wall of the second fortress comes up.

Hey guys im in second for sure solid 54100 I had 48000 with the first plane then i started chokin as the openings get smaller.Gotta relax and let it go easy does it. Zaxxon is a great game as you go it gets much harder. My new megatroller works good on zaxxon pic attached

post-24316-125385981158_thumb.jpg

Edited by ataridoctor

Hey guys im in second for sure solid 54100 I had 48000 with the first plane then i started chokin as the openings get smaller.Gotta relax and let it go easy does it. Zaxxon is a great game as you go it gets much harder. My new megatroller works good on zaxxon pic attached

Welcome to the HSC. It's always good to have new people. This megatroller you mention, is it something you made yourself? We're always interested in new contraptions for our vintage equipment. Why not post a picture of it on here? I'm quite curious to see what it's like myself. Who knows, you might even be able to sell a few of them too. :cool:

Welcome to the HSC. It's always good to have new people. This megatroller you mention, is it something you made yourself? We're always interested in new contraptions for our vintage equipment. Why not post a picture of it on here? I'm quite curious to see what it's like myself. Who knows, you might even be able to sell a few of them too. :cool:

Thanksguys what a great site i posted info on the 5200 forum but heres a pic of it it works great makes playing alot more fun. Its homemade, Its Big about the size of the console, but its very stable sits in your lap and help with fatigue, Therefore i call it the Megatroller. I used a 12 X 16 polypropolene cutting board for the top and a 9 x 13 baking pan for the bottom, The electronic parts came from spark fun electronics except the digital to analog converter which i got the shematic from john(prodos8) works far better than a wico or comp pro controller.Im gonna try for 100k on zaxxon you guys are great.thanks for all the help and fun Paul

post-24316-125389534293_thumb.jpg

post-24316-125389535803_thumb.jpg

Edited by ataridoctor

Thanksguys what a great site i posted info on the 5200 forum but heres a pic of it it works great makes playing alot more fun. Its homemade, Its Big about the size of the console, but its very stable sits in your lap and help with fatigue, Therefore i call it the Megatroller. I used a 12 X 16 polypropolene cutting board for the top and a 9 x 13 baking pan for the bottom, The electronic parts came from spark fun electronics except the digital to analog converter which i got the shematic from john(prodos8) works far better than a wico or comp pro controller.Im gonna try for 100k on zaxxon you guys are great.thanks for all the help and fun Paul

That looks really nice. Looks like it would be comparable with having the trak-ball on your lap or in front of you. Good work. :thumbsup: