IGNORED

HSC Season 7 Week 5: Cosmic Ark

Ze_ro

I edited that in (I like to try and keep my tips all in one post) after reading your post and playing Game 4. Even in the default game, there are no sweet spots by the time you're picking up Pac Man. If you get to the second Pac Man planet, the lasers go just crazy like they do on the second planet of Game 4.

I wouldn't worry too much about meteors getting by your shots. You can generally make up for it on the next planet. The meteor hit costs you 10 fuel units, plus one for the missed shot, and you're probably going to take off with at least 11 units of bonus fuel if not half or even a full tank, so it evens out.

Other advice:

The defense lasers follow a set pattern for each particular planet. This means there are sweet spots where you can sit indefinitely and never get hit. So watch as the lasers come towards the surface for the 1st time. If they don't shoot on the bottommost level, they never will, so you can shuttle around down there safely until the alarm sounds. On the later, faster levels, it's sometimes possible to position yourself very high up in a sweet spot and at least get one critter without having to navigate through the defenses.

See I tried this by sitting where they didn't shoot on the first pass up and they got me on the way down, I may have been a pixel off, who knows.

Hmmmm. Well, Shadow's earlier post claims there are no sweet spots, so maybe I just imagined them. I swear I've used this strategy before with great success, but I'll do some experimenting this weekend and see if maybe I was mistaken.

I won't get 2 points deducted for giving the worst advice, will I? :)

The video goes wonky at about 2:30 or so, my DV capture device does not like any atari signals at all. It doesn't do it to my wii.. I need a new capture card, or I need to find my big vhs camera, composite feed that into the DV device.

">
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

Edited by keilbaca

Wow, I forgot how high I had the twin galaxies score...

I will NOT play like how I got that score. I sat on one level and just shot meteors all day. To keep energy, I would capture one alien, go to meteors, get hit by laser, go to meteors, capture one alien, etc. When you do it like that, you get the energy back every time you capture an alien.

I will be playing like how you're supposed to for this week.

Edited by keilbaca

That's essentially what happens, though, when one is struggling with the defense systems. Get creature, get zapped, run out of time, go shoot meteors again. That's how the first time one gets to a certain planet, their score is higher than it is subsequent times. Essentially, the better you get, the lower your score.

It's also how I played this week, with one exception: I have been actively trying to capture the creatures, thereby advancing planet to planet. Still, I know if I fail to get them I get fuel and I can come back for them again.

Wow, I forgot how high I had the twin galaxies score...

I will NOT play like how I got that score. I sat on one level and just shot meteors all day. To keep energy, I would capture one alien, go to meteors, get hit by laser, go to meteors, capture one alien, etc. When you do it like that, you get the energy back every time you capture an alien.

I will be playing like how you're supposed to for this week.

That's essentially what happens, though, when one is struggling with the defense systems. Get creature, get zapped, run out of time, go shoot meteors again.

And that's exactly what happened to allow me to get that score. I got hung up on the bats and just couldn't snag'em both w/o getting zapped. I also took many hits on the meteor screens, which seems to add a few to the total needed to get thru. Essentially, I was playing poorly, just not poorly enough to ever actually lose. It really was a fluke I hope not to repeat -- it was a really frustrating experience. The sad fact is, I've still never gotten beyond the 2nd Pac-Man planet, which is exactly the same place I was at when I scored 6000 points less!

Edited by Captain Beard

Well how should I say it... I purposely did it, I didn't try to advance. That's what made it a difference... if you guys want I can see if I can get that score again by doing that... and of course I'll be recording it. ^_^

EDIT: Not going to be playing for the rest of the week. Going up to the girlfriends for 3-4 days.

Edited by keilbaca