IGNORED

Favorite 2600 Adventure / RPG Type Game?

GideonsDad

65 members have voted

1. 1. Fav Adventure / RPG game for 2600?

• Adventure
    • Dark Chambers
    • Secret Quest
    • E.T.
    • Swordquest Series
    • Dragonstomper
    • Sword of Saros
    • Other? (I am leaving A LOT out, I am sure)

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

This is not going to jive with the consensus, but out of those, I'd pick E.T. Easy to get into. Great graphics,

great theme and rewarding end. Who doesn't want to get beamed up by a space ship? lol

Dragonstomper is a true "rts/rpg/adventure" type 2600 game and for that I love it. It's an awesome game.

But hooking up the Supercharger and CD combo is always an inconvenience. Not unlike hooking up paddles

to play those games.

Adventure is going to score high here, but I've never really cared for the game. Only have it in the

collection really, just in case anyone ever wanted to play it.

Sword of Saros, oddly enough. The game is deep enough to provide a complexity that encourages repeat playings, but is simple enough to just pick up and play. I do wish you could move a little better in the rooms, but it is a small quibble compared to the overall fun of the game.

Plus, it kind of pushes the limits of the VCS.

venture... and it's hacks. Aside from the intellivision tsr games venture is the one which came closest to d+d for me. Although montezuma's revenge is an all-time favorite for me. I actually have a top five of that game exclusively... 1. Sega Master System 2. Colecovision 3. c64 4. 2600 5. 5200

Most of the choices here are ok but are really reaching past the 2600's sane limits as far as item menus (Or even password saves!) and the like, so they don't age as well as a good action game.

Of that list, Sword of Saros, for the challenge. It's beatable, but it takes a lot of patience and a lot of tries to do. It also takes some strategy as well. Do you go for the gold, or just grab the keys and split? Do you take time to grab some items along the way?

Dragonstomper and Adventure are good also. As for SwordQuest, I gotta say, no other game on the list has that much detail in its story. I was always awed by the contest and the prizes offered, too. The game sucks, sure, but the ideas that went with it are very cool.

• 2 years later...

I thought Crypts of Chaos was pretty interesting and ambitious fir it's time. Pretty fun too. If only the ad&d games made it over to the 2600 or the protos were released. Those looked cool.

I find Venture and it's hacks very fun too.

Would Superman count as an adventure game? It plays kinda like a side scrolling Adventure, I believe it was the basis of Haunted Adventure III as well.

Edited by Legend

I'd probably say Adventure, followed by Secret Quest and Dragonstomper.

My problem with Adventure though is that although it randomizes item placement, items are still generally placed in more or less the same locations, and the game quickly becomes kind of linear once you know the routes through the mazes. There's no real reason go "off the beaten path" because the game RARELY ever puts anything there worth getting.

Venture is good. too bad was not like CV version . only tried adventure twice the graphics are terrible and found it boring. Swordquest series has a nice title screen i think they used up all there programing talent before the game started.

I think we played that game as a kid for a laugh. Et blows it away!! Et was one of the better games 30 years later people say it is a bad game unreal..were they playing it when it came out?

Thats my prob with adventure never owned it on my old 2600 as a kid. had dig dug. moon patrol. calf games. Winter games everthing else seemed sub par to titles like those.