IGNORED

SIO2PC With Serial to USB Adapters

Tempest

I have a SIO2PC interface that uses a serial port. Does anyone know if those cheap generic Serial to USB adapters work with SIO2PC, or do I have to go and buy one of the new USB SIO2PC adapters?

Tempest

When I was looking into buying mine, I learned that you to had to have specific chipset in that

Serial<>USB adapter. And of course, they're not common. The link below is what I bought and

is both Windoze and OSX compatible:

http://usbgear.com/USBG-232MINI.html

I wonder if something like this would work? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370210374279

Tempest

Unlikely. You should look for something with a real FTDI uart in it, like the adapter in the link above.

What about for USB to parallel port adapters? What chip do you look for in those since I have yet to find one that properly does real-time signal processing like a real parallel port.

I have a SIO2PC interface that uses a serial port. Does anyone know if those cheap generic Serial to USB adapters work with SIO2PC, or do I have to go and buy one of the new USB SIO2PC adapters?

Tempest

When I was looking into buying mine, I learned that you to had to have specific chipset in that

SerialUSB adapter. And of course, they're not common. The link below is what I bought and

is both Windoze and OSX compatible:

http://usbgear.com/USBG-232MINI.html

This one is guaranteed to work with the Atari SIO2PC? What about ADT for the Apple? Same thing basically, just for the Apple II.

Tempest

You can build your own SIO2USB cable using the FT232RL board. It is a USB->RS232 interface in a tiny little board, and then you just solder the relevant wires from an SIO cable onto it. It costs $20 and requires only basic soldering skills to put one of these together.

We discussed this previously here:

SIO2PC via FT232RL board

I built one of these, and I am using it to develop the soon-to-be-released SIO Server application (Mac OS X and Linux). It works great!

Can you give any more details on SIO Server? I use SIO2OSX and have been quite happy with it. But I do love new stuff :)

You can build your own SIO2USB cable using the FT232RL board. It is a USB->RS232 interface in a tiny little board, and then you just solder the relevant wires from an SIO cable onto it. It costs $20 and requires only basic soldering skills to put one of these together.

We discussed this previously here:

SIO2PC via FT232RL board

I built one of these, and I am using it to develop the soon-to-be-released SIO Server application (Mac OS X and Linux). It works great!

This one is guaranteed to work with the Atari SIO2PC? What about ADT for the Apple? Same thing basically, just for the Apple II.

Tempest

Yes, the link I provided for the USB<>Serial adapter is what I'm using with my 2 Atari computers.

Not sure about the ADT/Apple thing, never heard of it.

Can you give any more details on SIO Server? I use SIO2OSX and have been quite happy with it. But I do love new stuff :)

SIO Server is a project that belboz began and I later picked up. It started as a simple command line utility, and I later added a GUI to it. SIO Server is going to be freely available for Mac OS X and Linux users, and initially, it is going to serve ATR or EXE files to client machines connected via an SIO2xxx cable.

One thing that is pretty unique is that you can use SIO Server to serve to multiple Ataris. That is, you could have two or more Ataris, each with its own SIO2xxx cable, connected to your Mac. Once that is done, you can have multiple SIO Server windows concurrently serving disc images to the attached machines. That feature might not get used all that often, but I think it's pretty cool.

Probably the most interesting thing about the application is its GUI, which will make its public debut in the near future.

Having said all of that, SIO2OSX is great, and if you're happy with it, I can't think of any reason to stop using it. In fact, SIO2OSX has more features than SIO Server v1.0 will (SIO2OSX has 850-interface emulation for telnet sessions, for example).

• 2 weeks later...

To avoid starting another thread: If you're interested in a cheap way to build an SIO2PC (serial) cable, there are RS232 to TTL boards at http://www.futurlec.com/Mini_RS232_TTL_5V.shtml built arounda MAX232. With an SIO plug and a standard 9-pin to the PC you should be able to roll your own for $4.90 plus shipping.