IGNORED

how to pronounce Imagic

littleman jack

What is the correct way to pronounce Imagic?

A few days back I was watching a video from Atariamania and the person in the video pronounced it "eeee magic".

As a kid, I always pronounced "Eye-magic". Also, I've heard "i-magic", with a short i as in wick or pick.

What is the correct way to say it?

A few days back I was watching a video from Atariamania and the person in the video pronounced it "eeee magic".

As a kid, I always pronounced "Eye-magic". Also, I've heard "i-magic", with a short i as in wick or pick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mP37XoJiFc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mP37XoJiFc

Cool! It's nice to know I've been pronouncing it correctly all these years, ;) It always seemed pretty "obvious" to me-- like "image" or "imagination," plus "magic."

Michael

Find a copy of the documentary "All In The Game," which was filmed at Imagic "back in the day." Everybody at the company from Bill Grubb on down pronounces it with a short "I", so I can only assume that's the correct way to pronounce it. People who pronounce it differently are probably the same people who call the Atari 2600 "the Atari two-six-oh-oh".

You can probably also get the correct pronunciation from people who ran or worked for the company, not just commercials:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/102671-the-making-of-imagic-great-classic-tv-episode/

Sometimes commercials get stuff wrong, so it's nice to have a different source to be sure. Never heard anyone say EEEE-Magic. Never heard anyone say Eye-Magic either. Since the I is from imagination, you'd just assume you'd pronounce it the same way, even if you didn't get to see any of the commercials.

Speaking of Imagic, look at this! It's Danielle Dobbs! Creator of Imagic:

http://www.imagicprograms.com/a4_imagicFAQs.htm

WHAT IS THE MEANING OF THE WORD IMAGIC?

Imagic is a combination of the word imagination, because I believe that reading brings imagination, and the word magic, because I believe that all babies are born with an unlimited and magical learning potential.

Thought of that all by herself! She's a genius!

:lol:

Thought of that all by herself! She's a genius!

It isn't the first time someone has "re-discovered" an old video game trademark. I think www.intellivision.com (no link; it's gone now) used to be some business process management company that registered the domain name a few hours before the Blue Sky Rangers could get it.

And while we're on the subject, it's Gif, not Jif like the peanut butter. :D

That's sort of a running joke at our company because once someone asked for more memory, like maybe another jigabyte of RAM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphics_Interchange_Format#Pronunciation

Lies. All lies. :D

I will still say Gif Guh Guh Guh Gif, Not Jif, because it's stupid.

yes, I am very mature.

One thing that's funny is how folks pronounce Sledge Hammer,"Sludge Hammer"its not a Sludge,that the stuff in your cars engine,its"SLEDGE".Any way,there's a company out there now Called I-Magic,the I pronounced hard like "EYE".

One thing that's funny is how folks pronounce Sledge Hammer,"Sludge Hammer"its not a Sludge,that the stuff in your cars engine,its"SLEDGE".Any way,there's a company out there now Called I-Magic,the I pronounced hard like "EYE".

This thread could get way off track talking about all of the ways people mispronounce things. Like people who say dill when they mean deal (pronounced SEEEL). "What's the deal with that performing seal? I hope it won't squeal when I make it my meal."