IGNORED

how to pronounce Imagic

littleman jack

It's my feeling that the ambiguity of the pronunciation of a lot of computer terms is a sign of the social isolation that most computer geeks suffer from, where these things exist almost exclusively as characters on a computer monitor rather than spoken in conversation. Maybe that's less so now, but not entirely gone when dealing with more specialized terms.

True. I don't think that phenomenon is limited to geeks or to technical terms, either; perhaps it's also reflective of a lack of linguistic skills. I've noticed that words or phrases that seldom appear in everyday conversation are often mispronounced by the general population, either verbally or in the mind of the reader, when they are encountered in print. One example I've noticed is the title of the game "Deus Ex"; most people pronounced it "doos-sex", never knowing that it is part of the literary term deus ex machina, pronounced /ˈdiː.əs ɛks ˈmækɨnə/.

Then, of course, there's the opposite phenomenon of words or phrases that are mangled because people echo them as they hear them without ever seeing them in print: "you Midas well," "for all intensive purposes," etc.

Kind of like Patrick Stewart, who was presumably supposed to be a frenchman on ST:TNG but in no way shape or form acted like one.

Yes. Unfortunately, actors who are not French run a real risk when they attempt to accurately portray Frenchmen on film. Unlike any other bad accent in the world, a bad French accent is always funny, intentionally or not. I blame the ghost of Inspector Clouseau.

Edited by jaybird3rd

• 9 years later...

Find a copy of the documentary "All In The Game," which was filmed at Imagic "back in the day." Everybody at the company from Bill Grubb on down pronounces it with a short "I", so I can only assume that's the correct way to pronounce it. People who pronounce it differently are probably the same people who call the Atari 2600 "the Atari two-six-oh-oh".

I know this is an old thread, but people probably still look at it. My pronunciation page has a new entry for Imagic. (I also have an entry for GIF.)

How to pronounce Imagic:

randomterrain.com/rt-how-to-pronounce-words-in-the-usa.html#imagic

How to pronounce GIF:

randomterrain.com/rt-how-to-pronounce-words-in-the-usa.html#gif

I know this is an old thread, but people probably still look at it. My pronunciation page has a new entry for Imagic. (I also have an entry for GIF.)

How to pronounce Imagic:

randomterrain.com/rt-how-to-pronounce-words-in-the-usa.html#imagic

How to pronounce GIF:

randomterrain.com/rt-how-to-pronounce-words-in-the-usa.html#gif

I have been pronouncing 75% of those words wharung.

Huh... I didn't know GIF stood for Giraffics Interchange Format. News to me.

Even if the format's creator pronounces it like a certain brand of peanut butter, I think I'll keep pronouncing it like giggle.

Hey, a lot of GIF do make you giggle, right?

Edited by pacman000