IGNORED

Atomic Meltdown <-- my new homebrew game

disjaukifa

Hey Guys,

Here is a new .bin. Lets see who can figure out what is new :D. I have been trying to get this to work for 3 days . . . and it was because of the smallest misplaced line of code that as now been moved so now it works!!!!

Thanks

Disjaukifa

New .bin file. Let me know what you think again I am not going to tell ya'll whats been done :D.

Thanks

Disjaukifa

atomic_meltdown.bin

New .bin file. Let me know what you think again I am not going to tell ya'll whats been done :D.

Thanks

Disjaukifa

Hi Disjaukifa,

I am using z26, on my PC with Windows XP.

Just tried out the latest build of your game. It has a lot of potential! :)

Now for the bad news, LOL:

I loaded up z26 and ran your game and chose the 1 player game. Everything seems to work fine up until I died and saw the explosion screen. After it asks "play again?" I pushed the fire button, but then it jumped to the 2 player game! Player 2 died, then it jumps to a 1 player game again, but with the flashing green/red block on the playfield! After another death, both players were on the screen again, and the words "GAME OVER" were still on the screen!

I died again. This time when I started again it goes directly to the explosion screen!

After all this. I pushed the fire button again for a new game, but z26 crashed, and I was back to my Windows desktop with a "JAM" error message, or something.

I reopened the game to try and repeat this and got the same results, and again, the "JAM" error at the end. I actually did this 3 times, the 1st time through, after it said "play again?" my computer shut down and rebooted! LOL! Though I haven't been able to repeat this, so I don't think your game did this..

So anyway, seems like you have some holes in your code or something, causing it to jump to different game modes at the end of your "game over" loop!

Other than that, I like the concept and play potential of this game. 8)

Thanks

Disjaukifa

Hi Disjaukifa,

I am using z26, on my PC with Windows XP.

Just tried out the latest build of your game. It has a lot of potential! :)

Now for the bad news, LOL:

I loaded up z26 and ran your game and chose the 1 player game. Everything seems to work fine up until I died and saw the explosion screen. After it asks "play again?" I pushed the fire button, but then it jumped to the 2 player game! Player 2 died, then it jumps to a 1 player game again, but with the flashing green/red block on the playfield! After another death, both players were on the screen again, and the words "GAME OVER" were still on the screen!

I died again. This time when I started again it goes directly to the explosion screen!

After all this. I pushed the fire button again for a new game, but z26 crashed, and I was back to my Windows desktop with a "JAM" error message, or something.

I reopened the game to try and repeat this and got the same results, and again, the "JAM" error at the end. I actually did this 3 times, the 1st time through, after it said "play again?" my computer shut down and rebooted! LOL! Though I haven't been able to repeat this, so I don't think your game did this..

So anyway, seems like you have some holes in your code or something, causing it to jump to different game modes at the end of your "game over" loop!

Other than that, I like the concept and play potential of this game. 8)

Hey Gateway,

I was playing with it this morning and I noticed the ending error on it. I have a small code problem when I go to reset the game, because I am not really reseting and it seems to not clear out all the variables even I do so. I can't test it on z26 as I am using a Mac.

Thank you for you detailed review of what is happening, I am looking into right now and hope to have a more stable binary in an hour or two.

Thanks

Disjaukifa

Hey Guys,

No code update tonight. I am doing a somewhat major write of part of the game and this update is thanks to MausGames!!! I will have it implemented tomorrow morning or afternoon sometime. I will make for a much cleaner and SMALLER game, which is a plus on multiple fronts.

Thanks again Mausgames!!! If anyone could also report any bugs you find please let me know so I can work on them and fix them!!!

Thanks guys

-Disjaukifa

Glad I could help. It seems like the projectiles always line up with player x/y, is it supposed to? I think you should try to add diagonal ones, the cross pattern is too predictable.

Yeah it starts at x or y position of the atomic matter. I keep meaning to implement the diagonal, but it keep getting side tracked with doing other things to the game. I'm first going to implement that shrinking trick you showed me because it will reduce the size of the game . . . well drastically. I might even be able to fit it in 8k . . . . ehhh no its got to be 16k but ANYWAYS, I'm sidetracking myself.

Tomorrows goals.

-Implement new level shrinking

-Implement diagonal crossfire

-Implement an ending for Single Player (Maybe Two Player Coop if I can get around to it)

Thanks

Disjaukifa

I made it freeze up somehow. I was moving up with a missile behind me and I think I collided with the playfield at the same time the missile hit me.

Can you see if you can do it again??? I am going to try doing that myself to see if I can get it to happen as well.

-Disjaukifa

This looks to be a real promising game. I'd buy a cartridge of it if it ever is released on cartridge. One thought, though: It's time to add sound. I wear these very nice Phillips headphones when I'm on the computer for a reason. Maybe if you gave out the .bas, i can add some sounds. Maybe.

Hey Guys,

Here is a new binary with the new implementation of the shrinking level/field which was suggested by MausGames and I want to send him another thanks for the suggestion. I still have not programmed an ending yet but that is what I am about to do next!!!

This looks to be a real promising game. I'd buy a cartridge of it if it ever is released on cartridge. One thought, though: It's time to add sound. I wear these very nice Phillips headphones when I'm on the computer for a reason. Maybe if you gave out the .bas, i can add some sounds. Maybe.

Thanks for the feedback and offer!!! I'm not going to worry about sound till I get the rest of the code really finished. Also I was thinking about doing the sound for this game myself, not because I don't want help or anything, I really do appreciate the offer, its just this is the game where I am learning how to everything with Batari Basic, and I want to learn how to do sound. Its one of those weird situation where I can't learn it unless I do it, just reading about it doesn't do it for me.

I have attached the binary, let me know what you think!!!

OH if you put the Left Difficultly on A instead of B good luck. The jitter happens more often, other atomic matter is shot at you more and it takes longer to complete the game!

Thanks

Disjaukifa

atomic_meltdown.bas.bin

Hey Guys,

Its been long, its been very frustrating but I am happy to say I have endings for both Single Player and Two Player Coop. It took the last 5 hours to do but its been done. Here is the .bin, download and let me know what you think!!!

Thanks

Disjaukifa

atomic_meltdown.bas.bin

See that large blank black space under your score? That will get much smaller if you change your code to pfres=30, it really will add a noticeable amount of space. You don't have to use it, but I hope you at least give it a quick try so you can see the difference the higher res makes. I think 24 and 30 are good settings, but 28 just leaves way too much blank space.

Edited by MausGames

See that large blank black space under your score? That will get much smaller if you change your code to pfres=30, it really will add a noticeable amount of space. You don't have to use it, but I hope you at least give it a quick try so you can see the difference the higher res makes. I think 24 and 30 are good settings, but 28 just leaves way too much blank space.

Whenever I try 30, it does really bizarre things on the bottom of the scree, I have change it really quick and have posted it. Do I just need to modify all my playfields to have 30 lines?

What I have been doing is setting to 28 and then I have 28 lines in my playfield: . . . . end. Is that not correct?

Thanks

Disjaukifa

atomic_meltdown.bas.bin

Edited by disjaukifa

According to the batari Basic manual the playfield resolution works better if the number divides into 96. 32 and 24 should work.

Also, I number the files themselves, but whatever works for you.

Interesting, I'm gong to try it on 32 really quick, it shouldn't take that long to change. I'll post an update in a few.

Thanks

Disjaukifa

According to the batari Basic manual the playfield resolution works better if the number divides into 96. 32 and 24 should work.

Also, I number the files themselves, but whatever works for you.

Well MausGames and accousticguitar,

I combined your ideas, I went with 32 because sure enough that was what was recommend and not only it does give me a much better playfield and a smaller score area (just as MausGames said), but now it also looks much better, before I thought the levels where WAY to long and way to short.

Also I have to admit all day today when I was testing, I commented out the command to the jitter and the random fire for the other atomic matter. . . hahah makes it SOOOO much easier to test.

Thanks for the suggestions MausGames and accousticguitar!!!!

Disjaukifa

atomic_meltdown.bas.bin

Edited by disjaukifa

32 won't work - 30 should work well for you, and you were right that the weirdness at the bottom was caused by your needing to extend the playfield definitions.

If you are using Stella, I think it's Alt+Z to turn off player0, that should help if you have to test what happens after the game has run for a certain amount of time.

Edited by MausGames

If you are using Stella, I think it's Alt+Z to turn off player0, that should help if you have to test what happens after the game has run for a certain amount of time.

Really????? I really need to read the documentation that came with stella . . . I had no idea it could do that . . . weird!!!

Now I see why people love stella so much for debugging!!!

-Disjaukifa

Something that is really helpful, especially if you want people to help you test a WIP; add this line to every game loop:

if switchreset then reboot

Also, your 2 player vs freezes now after one round.

Reset as been add to every loop I think . . . I have a few of them, but its should be add to all of them now.

Thanks

Disjaukifa

32 won't work

Why not? The manual says it should.

Yeah and that is what I have it set too, 32 seems to work really well. When I set it to 30 it honestly looked the same with big space under the score. I going to leave it at 32, it seems to work really well, I had to modify playfields and some other functions but you are correct that it gives the game a much bigger play area.

-Disjaukifa