IGNORED

New Plug n' Play system actually has GOOD classic games!

jeremysart

What's up with the game where you club baby seals. Seriously, it has a game where your character actually clubs seals. WTF?!

It's not that kind of clubbing. It's based on early American slapstick comedy, where you hit something as it pops out of one of several holes. This routine can still be seen in commercials today.

You mean like "Whack-A-Mole"?

Yeah that's it. Not animal cruelty, just slapstick.

Well that sucks! This thread has probably done more for the sales of that thing than any amount of advertising could do. Shoot, I'm tempted to get one, and I don't even know why!

I know exactly what you mean--I was out today, saw a Walgreens, went inside, found and bought one, and I still don't know why. But I gotta say, it's pretty cool for ten bones.

Does anybody know if there's a Super Mario Brothers game hidden in all those nutty retitled games somewhere? I only had a chance to spend about 15 min with it so far, but didn't find one.

This pirate machine seems to have more better titles than other ones I've seen, even at first glance.

The part that really makes no sense is that you can download all of these game ROMs for free and play them in an emulator on your PC! That beats ten bucks by a long shot!

the thing is that most of these people that buy these dont know about the emulators. and when you try to explain it to them, they look at you with 10 heads.

for instance, I had a best friend since I was 13. we spent many, many years in the arcades. he was an expert at any video game he played. we called him "fathead" and "pumkinhead" because of his enormous head. we used to pounce on him but he loved it. he was into home games systems and computers as well.

well, we lost contact with eachother in 93 and I recently reunited thanks to facebook and I told him about the ems and he didnt seem too interested. it upset me because we lived on video games. but what can you do?

For 10 bucks, I'm willing to forego the hoops to hook up a computer to a TV and dealing with the hassles trying to get MESS running. Plus, I get a controller. Emulation often isn't perfect. The pirate multi-carts are "good enough" and weigh less than a full stack of each individual game.

For 10 bucks, I'm willing to forego the hoops to hook up a computer to a TV and dealing with the hassles trying to get MESS running. Plus, I get a controller. Emulation often isn't perfect. The pirate multi-carts are "good enough" and weigh less than a full stack of each individual game.

I got one yesterday and have only messed with it a little bit. Emulation seems pretty good, and it has quite a few good titles on it.

The d-pad seems a bit spongy, but seems it could probably be modified just a tad to make it more responsive. More on that later this week. Sooo many projects...

Yep, thats my reasoning too. I won't go out of my way for one but if I see one in the store it'll be great to have hooked up to the tv beside my computer for a little quick gaming love.

The part that really makes no sense is that you can download all of these game ROMs for free and play them in an emulator on your PC! That beats ten bucks by a long shot!

Yes, but I like playing on my TV better than my laptop. I could hook up my laptop to my TV and buy a NES style USB joypad, but that's a lot of work and I'm lazy. :)

I found a closeout store near me today that has about 30 of these on the shelf for $20 a piece. It comes with a 111-in-1 plug-in cart. I am guessing they got a lot of these from one of the mall kiosks after Christmas.

I picked one up and am going to try it out tonight. Will post about the games afterward.

If anyone is interested, I will distribute these for just the purchase price plus shipping (guessing maybe $5-$10). I am not interested in profiting, only helping fellow gamers. PM me if interested.

post-23487-126282706652_thumb.jpg

post-23487-126282707549_thumb.jpg

OK. The Power Games 111-in-1 system is awesome. The controllers are wireless, except for the light gun. It plugs directly into the penguin console for Duck Hunt.

The games are standard NES 8-bit fare: SMB with the title screen changed, Contra, Arkanoid, Ms. Pac Man, Duck Hunt, etc.

This is a top of the line pirate clone with a cart slot for Jap Famicom titles. Best NES pirate clone I've seen.

Club baby seals? Do you mean the Japanese version of Ice Climber?

Yes, that's the one. Not Whack-a-Mole. Your character is an Eskimo and you walk around clubbing seals.

Also, I found Xevious on the unit. It is listed in the menu under a completely unrelated name (which I forget at the moment).

I picked up the Senario 101 games plug-n-play at Walgreens and tried it out tonight. I agree that it's a pretty decent mix of games. It lists "Chess" but it's actually Othello/Reversi. However, the "Chinese Chess" game is a pretty good looking version of the actual game of Chinese Chess (Xiang Qi). I'm excited to find yet another computer opponent to crush me at this game.

Here's a screen shot of Chinese Chess on the Senario 101 in 1 plug-n-play:

post-12574-12631451077_thumb.jpg

After playing it a few times (I have yet to win, not sure if I ever will...) I noticed that after each move there are characters being written at the top of the screen. This seems to be a bug - perhaps some diagnostic code that was left in place when it went to production. The result of this is that in a prolonged game, the top of the board begins to be over-written with these characters. I have mixed emotions: On the one hand, it's kind of a shame that the first time I find this game in a version I can play on my TV set, it's defective. On the other hand, I feel clever that I know enough about the game that I was able to "stay alive" long enough to notice it...

I can attest to the fact that the dream gear games are very boring.

I picked up a Dream Gear that looks like a mini Dreamcast console today at a Salvation Army store for $2.95, but after looking through the games I feel like I overpaid. :|

There are 75 games on this one, but all are very lame Famicom-type stuff. One is trying to hop from cloud to cloud with a frog to complete some unknown task, and another one puts the player into the cockpit of a tank while you spin in circles and shoot every enemy tank and truck that comes into your view window. The thing is there is no challenge as the enemy tanks and trucks never even fire a shot back at you. Man, people must have felt ripped paying $40 a pop for these bad titles back in the 80's is all I have to say.

$20 is about the going price at the flea market. It used to be $30 or higher when they first came out a year or two ago. I think the cartridge will ONLY play in this unit because I can't get it to work in anything else. My cartridge was different than the one in your picture. Mine was HALF height of that one.. was the cutest thing.

The controllers are wireless, but Infrared.. so if someone walks in between the signal you will be pissed.

I found a closeout store near me today that has about 30 of these on the shelf for $20 a piece. It comes with a 111-in-1 plug-in cart. I am guessing they got a lot of these from one of the mall kiosks after Christmas.

I picked one up and am going to try it out tonight. Will post about the games afterward.

If anyone is interested, I will distribute these for just the purchase price plus shipping (guessing maybe $5-$10). I am not interested in profiting, only helping fellow gamers. PM me if interested.

• 2 months later...