IGNORED

HSC Season 7 Week 6: No Escape!

Ze_ro

Hmmm, I gotta raise it some more then... :D Haven't played yet today.

This HSC ain't big enough for the both of us, padnah :D

Time to start playing some more, TWO MEN ENTER, ONE MAN LEAVES :lol::lol:

Argh! I can consistently score around 4500 but that's the furthest I can get now. I get all the way to the second wave of Centaur without getting a single hit and the second wave pummels me. I get all the Centaur killed BUT the last one, and then the last one just throws curvy rocks every .0095 seconds and bombards you with machinegun fire! :x

I get down to 2 hits left then the first Stygian witches get down to around 2, then I can't lure them anymore because they move too fast and I lose my last lives.

EDIT: Upped the ante! Finally got a bit of a rhythm down and got to the first series of re-set sprites! They are the cyclops/minotaurs in the first 2 levels and they go a hell of a lot faster and are nigh on impossible. I had ONE life left after beating the white Gorgons and managed to take down a single cyclops/minotaur before getting nailed.

p1000961w.jpg

Edited by CebusCapucinis

Hmmm, I gotta raise it some more then... :D Haven't played yet today.

This HSC ain't big enough for the both of us, padnah :D

Time to start playing some more, TWO MEN ENTER, ONE MAN LEAVES :lol::lol:

Argh! I can consistently score around 4500 but that's the furthest I can get now. I get all the way to the second wave of Centaur without getting a single hit and the second wave pummels me. I get all the Centaur killed BUT the last one, and then the last one just throws curvy rocks every .0095 seconds and bombards you with machinegun fire! :x

I get down to 2 hits left then the first Stygian witches get down to around 2, then I can't lure them anymore because they move too fast and I lose my last lives.

EDIT: Upped the ante! Finally got a bit of a rhythm down and got to the first series of re-set sprites! They are the cyclops/minotaurs in the first 2 levels and they go a hell of a lot faster and are nigh on impossible. I had ONE life left after beating the white Gorgons and managed to take down a single cyclops/minotaur before getting nailed.

p1000961w.jpg

I can't seem to do better than my 3300 but I have not yet found a rhythm for this game at all. BTW when does the competition end for this week?

Thanks

Disjaukifa

How'd you only have one life left in the minotaur wave? You shoulda got an extra.

Oh, and what color were the minotaurs? Were they brown or reddish? I've battled the reddish ones before, and IMO they are easier than the witches.

Reddish minotaurs. They probably would have been easier had I not gotten that unlucky "first rock thrown by a fury is a magical heat-seeking sideways one" that happens probably 1/10 of the time.

I only had 1 life because I died right as I nailed the last Gorgon. I got the Gorgon to disappear first, so my life went down but the level counted as complete, so I got the 1 life left. Barely squeaked by on that one.

6278, missed ONE white medusa. I didn't take a pic of this one.

I am right on your heels.

EDIT: Five points away from you and still climbing. I missed only one of the blue jean wearing minotaurs because I got stupid and threw the last tone in the middle of the roof.

I'm wiping out everything else two and three at a time.

EDIT2:

Perseus: You know, Odysseus, I really think this guy is serious about this golden fleece thing. I mean, look at him.

Odysseus: Yeah, Perseus, I mean, he's really knocking those Furies down. He ripped through those Gorgons like they were not even there. Heck it took you three hours just to slay one!

Perseus: Yeah, it did, and my whole body was getting tense. I thought I was stone a couple times there. Oh, look, here we go...he's running, Jason's running, ten yards to the pillar and! He hurls the bomb! Another round of Gorgons bites the dust, Odysseus!

Odysseus: Wow, what a play! uh, oh, Jason's in trouble. He's wiped out three Minotaurs with one fell swoop, and ouch! He takes a hit, oh and wait, there's another hit! And it's Pegasus on the field. Game over, folks, and your New Balance final score is: 6972!

Perseus: I bet Jason could use another set of running shoes after that one. Look at him wave from that horse! Hi, Jason! OK, I gotta go get some water from one of those springs. Where was Pegasus standing at again?

Edited by shadow460

Uh oh! I better plug it in again.

This game is one of the most frustrating games I have played in recent memory! It's either incredibly easy or impossible on certain stages. No difficulty curve at all, just a precipice!

EDIT: An hour of playing and I figured out a button-pushing rhythm! If you push it for approx 1-1.2sec and let go, then push again you can get the fastest moving ones to wave back and forth, keeping them within a certain area but making them move far enough away that they don't throw sideways rocks as frequently. Using your system of starting in the middle then slowly moving from the middle to the left I got past the blue jean minotaurs!

The second wave of minotaurs wiped out my 2 lives. I got 2 of 'em, though. I think I'm done for today, this game is giving me a headache!

It was entirely luck that got me that far. Honestly I think I might be able to squeeze out maybe 8-10 more points but this will be the extent of my skill level.

p1000962w.jpg

Edited by CebusCapucinis

Full edit doesn't work for me.

Proof's in the pic

Might be my final time for today, too. My 30 minutes is up. :)

Also, your timing is a lot different than mine. I tend to go on the offensive and just make it rain bricks for a few seconds, then I defend for a little bit.

The unavoidable rocks only come at certain times. Figuring out when they will be trhown is the key to winning. Avoiding them is purely a matter of timing your joystick moves.

Has anyone else found out where in the instructions it tells you how to beat the highest level Furies? It'll teach you how to beat Furies that are several times tougher than what we are seeing here.

post-7210-125410788332_thumb.jpg

Edited by shadow460

Uh oh! I better plug it in again.

This game is one of the most frustrating games I have played in recent memory! It's either incredibly easy or impossible on certain stages. No difficulty curve at all, just a precipice!

EDIT: An hour of playing and I figured out a button-pushing rhythm! If you push it for approx 1-1.2sec and let go, then push again you can get the fastest moving ones to wave back and forth, keeping them within a certain area but making them move far enough away that they don't throw sideways rocks as frequently. Using your system of starting in the middle then slowly moving from the middle to the left I got past the blue jean minotaurs!

The second wave of minotaurs wiped out my 2 lives. I got 2 of 'em, though. I think I'm done for today, this game is giving me a headache!

It was entirely luck that got me that far. Honestly I think I might be able to squeeze out maybe 8-10 more points but this will be the extent of my skill level.

p1000962w.jpg

Nice and thank you for the tips!!! I'm going to have to fire up Stella and try that really quick!

-Disjaukifa

30 minutes is about all this game can be handled for, isn't it? I've lasted an hour-15 tops but even then I'm starting to want to punch myself in the head repeatedly. I'm all across the board, too. I'll start out getting just under 6000 then have 6 games in a row that are 2000-2500.

30 minutes is about all this game can be handled for, isn't it? I've lasted an hour-15 tops but even then I'm starting to want to punch myself in the head repeatedly. I'm all across the board, too. I'll start out getting just under 6000 then have 6 games in a row that are 2000-2500.

Sounds like me, I got 3300 and now I can get over 2000 . . .

-Disjaukifa

I, uh, took another 30 minutes.

My score shot from 6900 to 8600, then I blew through three more waves and got this:

The last wave I was in was the 4th wave of Centaurs. Let's see...Medusa is 9 and 10, then minotaur for 11 and 12, harpy for 13 and 14, centaurs for 15 and 16, gorgons for 17 and 18, so that means I was two waves away from the one where they do not shoot back.

This has been a hotly contested week between about three of us.

<begin No Escape tips>

Offense:

I think the best strategy is to slide to the side, throwing rocks straight up about 1 pixel apart as you go. You'll wipe out three to five Furies, sometimes all six. When you get one or two steps from the side, stop throwing. Now it's time to switch strategies and use a modified form of what was posted on page 1. Instead of timing your shots to that the Furies are guided into the bricks, throw two stones at once. Throw the one you want to use to kill a Fury, then waste one a second later. That brings the Fury close to target. You can let the Fury move under the stone and back into it naturally or you can let it slide under the correct brick twice. Now throw another stone to bring the Fury into the target brick. Aim only for the bottom Fury with this strategy. It helps if you're not using the very center of the roof for this. You do not have to be accurate as long as you can defend Jason for a few minutes.

Defense:

The stones thrown at you are only thrown directly when the bottom Fury is moving toward you. This goes for ALL stages, even Stage 2. Don't ever try to walk directly toward the bottom Fury if it is walking toward you. Leave a few steps between you and the pillars at ALL times, and move AWAY from the Fury right when it throws the stone. Move only one or two steps away. Don't believe me? The manuals says that the higher the variation number, the harder the game. So let's go to Game 7 and give it a try. When the Furies appear, they will not fire at you (this only works for Stage 1, BTW). Walk over to the pillar, take about two steps toward the middle, then throw a rock. Each time the Furies throw a rock while they are coming toward you, don't even look where the rock goes, just walk to the pillar and walk right back to where you were. Ignore all other rocks thrown by the Furies. You'll last forever that way.

That is the best I can explain it. The rest is timing.

<end No Escape tips>

General HSC strategy:

The "overpracticing" trick worked for me last week on Cosmic Ark. I cranked the game to max difficulty and played for about an hour, then set it back to the recommended HSC settings and my score went up by about 10%. It multiplied my score several times over in Subterranea a few weeks back. This week it has helped me to quadruple my score. Anything you can do to make the game harder, do it the first couple days of each week. Set it to the hardest game option and then flip the switch to A. You'll be surprised what it does to your scores each week.

post-7210-125411215438_thumb.jpg

ARGHHHH doubled my score! I'm probably going to have to doff my hat to you on this one, I don't think I can reasonably expect to break 10k or even 9k for that matter!

Been playing since I got back from work, am up to about 11k. I have a pic but I'm not going to post it until I reach the high high score. If I can't beat the 11k I'll post it when the contest ends to hopefully secure a #2 spot!

HOLY COW! Once you get to re-sprites the multiplier goes up for those points like CRAZY! For the last bits of the "screen complete" you get more than 5 points per tile left over! I got to the second wave of centaurs before getting wiped.

p1000970c.jpg

Edited by CebusCapucinis

the 5th Ghost told us in the last round of this the multipliers get crazy after 14,000.

Looks like I'll be playing some more, but I don't know about tonight. Maybe tomorrow. I know I have the rhythm down pat and could probably run the game indefinitely.

I got it, maybe I'll just overpractice a bit tonight.

Edited by shadow460

Well, it was said that after about 10K, the difficulty maxes and you just have to keep up the rhythm. At 10K, it feels like you're on game 7 almost. Game 7 starts you off at the 120th wave of Furies and gives you about 2,000 bonus points for the first stage.

still stuck at 15K. I started too late. Got 9K at max difficulty and that was my best game, IMO, even though I scored over 15K on easy.

Edited by shadow460

I love the graphics in this game, but I feel the gameplay is lacking.

I would have to complete agree with that statement, the graphics are beautiful and very fluid however I also feel that the gameplay is what truly hinders this game from be great instead of just good.

-Disjaukifa

So far, 4,135.

I'm getting so frustrated. I used to be so good at this game. I guess 4 years of not playing it will do that to you.

I'll be playing this for another hour, and recording also.

EDIT: 4835. I just can't seem to have the patience to do it anymore. Blah.

">
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

Edited by keilbaca

I hear ya about the frustration. I don't think I'll be picking up this game again for four years. Matter of fact, I can think of some scathing reviews that need posted and this is one of them.

I played some today, though.

Oh, and I did figure out the 99 point bonus thing. It doesn't apply until after you've gone through several stages. I think it gives you 99 points per brick for the last few bricks provided you didn't use up too many. So if it's giving you 99 points for the last ten bricks, you'll get 396 points for them. You need six of them to kill the six Furies, and you could possibly get bonus points for the other four.