IGNORED

sega power base converter

Of note, there are some Sega Master System games which will require the original SMS controller to play.

Some examples are:

Wonder Boy in Moster Land

Alien Syndrome

Bomber Raid

Shanghai

Where in the World is Carmen San Diego

Also, F-16 Fighting Falcon is the only game not compatible with the PBC.

Enjoy! SMS is one of my favorite systems and is heavily under appreciated IMO…

Of note, there are some Sega Master System games which will require the original SMS controller to play.

Some examples are:

Alien Syndrome

Bomber Raid

Shanghai

Where in the World is Carmen San Diego

Also, F-16 Fighting Falcon is the only game not compatible with the PBC.

Enjoy! SMS is one of my favorite systems and is heavily under appreciated IMO…

I just picked one up last week for $5 and am quite impressed with the quality of its games. Not a system I'm very familiar with but it is a very likable little system. I'm in the process of procurring a few CIB games as we speak to get me started.

I got the Master gear converter (genesis variant) and it requires no external power to work, but it also doesn't support the card things. I want a Power Base converter, as I believe it does support the cards (among other things, I think the 3D glasses requires it)

Oddly, I've seen one working SMS in my life, and it died over 20 years ago, to bad, as it was a really awesome system, but what a piece of shit. But luckily the Genesis is built more durably and the converter has no electronics in it, so there should be little problem playing SMS for a long time.

I'm thinking about getting one, but I want to know whether or not it needs a power adaptor of it's own in order to work.

No power adapter needed for the PBC. The Power Base converter is good stuff, though my switched Genesis is more finicky about certain games than the other one when used with the PBC (and all the games worked right away on the other one). All of the games I tried do work, though. One cool thing about the PBC and US SMS is that most EU games play on it (and some will even play on the PBC that won't play on a regular US SMS), and many even play at the correct speed, even some third party ones like Marble Madness. I have the EU Gain Ground, Bubble Bobble, Land of Illusion, Sonic the Hedgehog (which came to the US, but the EU one is easier to find and has the exact same data on the cart), Moonwalker, Alex Kidd in Miracle World, Assault City and these all not only work, but play at the correct speed in NTSC as well. Some games like Land of Illusion are even dirt common in Europe and can be found for cheap if you look in the right place.

The PBC does support the card slot. The adapter for the 3d glasses uses this slot. I have the 3D glasses and they are very sweet. Nice 3D effect. I have three games that use the glasses, Missile Defense 3D, Zaxxon 3D, and Space Harrier 3D and I like them all so far.

Edited by BrianC

The PBC does support the card slot. The adapter for the 3d glasses uses this slot. I have the 3D glasses and they are very sweet. Nice 3D effect. I have three games that use the glasses, Missile Defense 3D, Zaxxon 3D, and Space Harrier 3D and I like them all so far.

Awesome to know, now I definitely need one, think you got all the 3D games :P (or was there one more, course there coulda been lots outside of the states)

I got the Master gear converter (genesis variant) and it requires no external power to work, but it also doesn't support the card things. I want a Power Base converter, as I believe it does support the cards (among other things, I think the 3D glasses requires it)

Just be aware that not all PBCs have the card slot.

The official ones that don't are more rare, have a different name (Master System Converter 2, AFAIK), and only came out in Europe. There are other adapters without the card slot, but they aren't official. However, they are basically pass through adapters and the SMS hardware is inside the Genesis. The original Power Base Converter only fits on a Genesis 1 without modification and won't work at all on a Genesis 3 (since it doesn't have the SMS hardware inside). The other adapters will work on Genesis 2, as well as Genesis 1.

Edited by BrianC

I'm thinking about getting one, but I want to know whether or not it needs a power adaptor of it's own in order to work.

I got on ebay for $20 free shipping. Doesn't require a power supply and will work with the cards I'm very happy with mine no scratches on it and I haven't come across any games that wont play in it. You can also find adapters to to play sega master system games in the sega game gear on ebay.

The official ones that don't are more rare, have a different name (Master System Converter 2, AFAIK), and only came out in Europe.

Well that's a lot easier then.

I thought I'd seen pictures of regular PBCs (shaped the same as the original version for model 1s) that don't have a slot on them. But I just tried an image search and can't find any such thing. I don't know what I was remembering.

*snipz*

I found that out the hard way. Luckily I had a few of them lying around.

I need a sms controller to. going to see what I can find on ebay.