IGNORED

Your 1st Ever Purchased Atari Game

snicklin

What was the first ever game that you bought for the Atari and on which Atari did you play it on? If you had any bundled in games with your Atari, they don't count.

Mine was: Daylight Robbery

Publisher: Atlantis Games

Machine: Atari 65XE (from tape)

... and oh, it was Daylight Robbery!

Edited by snicklin

My first Atari game was Pole Position on my 600XL. It wasn't a pack in. Man it had colour, sound and a joystick - that was a pretty big upgrade from my ZX81 :D

I came over from the ZX81 myself, I used to enjoy playing chase the X around the O.

Edited by snicklin

I think the first purchase I made included a lot of used carts. I know for sure "Jumpman Junior" was in there. I loved that game, as did all of my family. I got to the point where i could play it infinitely. The levels repeat in random order after completing all 12. I think I got up to 1.5 million and then quit out of boredom.

Some of the other carts were: PacMan (great), Robotron (good), Centipede (mediocre), Dig Dug (good+) [this was the early version, which i liked quite well], Popeye (good).

Before that, the only game I had was "Star Raiders", which came with the machine, I believe. One hell of an "only" game though... hehe

Atari ON Atari, hmm, I can't remember back to my first Atari which was a 2600, sure I bought a fair few for it though. Then ST, can't remember what I bought for that either, but my recent foray into A8 has been Ninja for 89p+postage off ebay to test if my 65xe for £30 off ebay worked.

Pete

For the 65XE, I think it was Dawn Raider by Atlantis on tape.

Bought it at Intoto in Nottingham, great shop that was.

I just took a look at Dawn Raider over at Atarimania, it looks exactly the same as Airstrike II which I got bundled with my Atari 65XE!

I like it over in Nottingham, well, I am a Forest fan for my sins!

Atari ON Atari, hmm, I can't remember back to my first Atari which was a 2600, sure I bought a fair few for it though. Then ST, can't remember what I bought for that either, but my recent foray into A8 has been Ninja for 89p+postage off ebay to test if my 65xe for £30 off ebay worked.

Pete

I got given the game "Ninja" for free back at the end of the 80s, my friend's Dad bought it from a car boot sale for his son, not realising that Atari games do not work on a Spectrum !!

My parents bought me a 600xl back in '84 (I was eleven) and I think the first game we got for it was River Raid. Might have been Miner 2049er. The whole family played the hell out of both of 'em!

The first game I actually purchased with my own money... that would be a few years later, after I got a paper route. For the life of me, I can't remember what it was. I do remember buying my 130XE and 1050 with my own money.

Murder on the Zinderneuf is an excellent game. A bit like Clue but with with the added ability to ask questions in a variety of fashions. Such as flirty, pushy, confused, etc. Part of the challenge was figuring out how to question each suspect.

Graphics were dismal, but the game was fun.

I got a few games with my 800XL for Christmas in 1984.

Two of the games were from EA and they had a buy two, get one free offer. I got Murder on the Zinderneuf with the free offer. I think it's an underrated game.

1st Atari 2600 Game - Video Pinball (and Combat which was the pack in)

1st Atari 8-bit (400) Game - Atari Basketball - I loved the 4 player action!

1st Atari ST Game - I think it was Sword of Kadash - RPG sort of game

1st Atari Lynx Game - California Games - pack in but great

1st Atari Falcon030 Game - Sadly so few games came out that were Falcon specific, but I think it may have been Rock-n-Roll Clams

1st Atari Jaguar Game - Cybermorph was the pack in, but it was Tempest 2000 that kicked arse!

I came over from the ZX81 myself, I used to enjoy playing chase the X around the O.

That sounds like one of my games :D

I think my first purchase was English Software's Smash Hits Vol.I, Jet Boot Jack was great fun but doesn't quite hold up today, Dan Strikes Back is a gem (have beaten this one in recent years), Fire Fleet is tough but is still an excellent shooter, Captain Sticky's Gold was way too hard back then but is good fun now, and Hyperblast is still good for a serious blasting session. I also rented (ok hands up, I copied them) Zone X, Boulderdash II and the immortal Rescue on Fractalus which are all superb games :)

God, I can't remember after all this time...

Luckily being in Atari Tech sales and reviewing meant I didn't have to buy too many games over it's life..

Some people have all the luck!

Well for my sins I worked for Maplin Electronics and we were a major Atari dealer so staff discounts and all that and writing for Atari User got me more freebies :)