IGNORED

Is the game of 'GO' possible on the 2600?

lhfreak

• 2 weeks later...

As stated above, the graphics are already done, and AI is far too complicated for the VCS. The best AI I could do would only challenge beginners. However, I've been thinking about turning my Go kernel into a full-fledged two player game. I would keep it at 4K to minimize costs. How much interest is there in such a cart?

I haven't followed the capabilities in great detail so this might be a dumb question, but is this something that the Harmony cartridge could assist with by providing some additional processing power?

It might be possible, but then it wouldn't really be an Atari 2600 game anymore. I think 2-player is the way to go here...

Chris

I haven't followed the capabilities in great detail so this might be a dumb question, but is this something that the Harmony cartridge could assist with by providing some additional processing power?

It might be possible, but then it wouldn't really be an Atari 2600 game anymore. I think 2-player is the way to go here...

Chris

I understand and relate to the sentiment. At the same time, I debate with myself about where the dividing line is. Can that same characterization apply to cartridges with additional hardware such as added RAM or even bankswitching circuitry?

Chris

I understand and relate to the sentiment. At the same time, I debate with myself about where the dividing line is. Can that same characterization apply to cartridges with additional hardware such as added RAM or even bankswitching circuitry?

Writing Go game logic for the Harmony is possible, and you could write it with C instead of assembly. You would, however, need to stall the 2600 while calculating. This might be considered cheating since the 2600 would mostly just be used for the display while all the hard work is done by the ARM.

While a 70 MHz, 32-bit coprocessor wasn't available for a reasonable price in the 80s, not all Harmony assistance should be considered cheating. Anything possible and practical in the 80s seems acceptable, which includes RAM, complex schemes like Supercharger, and to some degree, coprocessing (as the Pitfall II DPC is.) There have been other ideas suggested that could also have been possible in 1984.

Pardon my ignorance, but how different is GO from Othello?

Completely different.

Go (game) - Wikipedia

Computer Go - Wikipedia

Partially solved games - Wikipedia

The way I describe it is: Chess is like a battle, but Go is like a war. You basically end up with multiple battle sites all over the board, and have to pick the most important one in which to make a move. Of note is that while there are very few primary rules, they result in a second set of derived "rules", such as "two eyes lives".

It is very hard to get a computer to play beyond the level of an above-average amateur player. And that's a modern computer, not a 6502 with few hundred bytes of RAM.

It can be played on smaller boards, but usually only 9x9 and 13x13. 9x9 is good for fast games (15 mins vs the 2 hrs or so of the full board), and 13x13 has elements of play from both 9x9 and 19x19. Also of note is that 19x19 is the largest board in which the inside area is smaller than the edge area, when you line up opposing stones on the 3rd and 4th lines, so anything larger than 19 has yet another play style.

Edited by Bruce Tomlin
  • Like 1

• 7 years later...

As stated above, the graphics are already done, and AI is far too complicated for the VCS. The best AI I could do would only challenge beginners. However, I've been thinking about turning my Go kernel into a full-fledged two player game. I would keep it at 4K to minimize costs. How much interest is there in such a cart?

Sorry for the necro-bump, but I'm looking for such a cart. Did anything ever come of it? I'm a total beginner but have many Go friends that would be charmed and impressed by such an implementation of the game.