IGNORED

have you ever hated a console?

Tr3vor

I'm sure I'll get plenty of replies about this but I couldn't stand the 2600.

My friend always tried to get me to play on his but I always came away with as bad a feeling about it.

I didn't like the sound, the graphics were blocky, the factory controllers were always breaking (at least his were) and the games looked/played nothing like the arcade.

I think that last part is the problem and I even find it to be a problem with computer versions of arcade licenses.

Someone will rave about some version being the best but it's obvious they didn't spend much time in the arcade or they would know it doesn't feel anything like the way the arcade version plays.

It is strange. Its like me saying I hate the NES and being a participating member of Nintendoage.

My friend always tried to get me to play on his but I always came away with as bad a feeling about it.

I didn't like the sound, the graphics were blocky, the factory controllers were always breaking (at least his were) and the games looked/played nothing like the arcade.

I think that last part is the problem and I even find it to be a problem with computer versions of arcade licenses.

Someone will rave about some version being the best but it's obvious they didn't spend much time in the arcade or they would know it doesn't feel anything like the way the arcade version plays.

It is strange. Its like me saying I hate the NES and being a participating member of Nintendoage.

Why do I have to like the 2600 to be a member of an Atari site?

The 8 bit computers had a lot of great games that never saw the light of day in the arcades.

And many of it's arcade ports were at least close.

The 2600 had a lot of unique games but as I said... blocky graphics, didn't like the sound, etc...

BTW, I really don't care for the NES either. I didn't buy a console until the PS2 Slim a couple years ago because I always preferred computer games.

I have never been a fan of any of the Nintendo systems but especially hate the NES with its horrible flickery graphics, childishly styled games and the way it manages to ruin so many great arcade games by adding stupid shit to them that they didn't need.

Amen, brother.

Yeah, but sometimes adding weird stuff worked - Contra, Ninja Gaiden, Bionic Commando, etc.

Errr, no it didn't :thumbsdown:

Whatev. Ninja Gaiden on NES = awesome. Ninja Gaiden coin-op = boring Double Dragon clone. There's a reason that when they remade Bionic Commando they remade the NES version and not the coin-op version. Contra's more of a personal preference, I suppose, but I've always felt like the NES version played better. Tecmo Bowl is another coin-op game that is, at best, forgettable while the NES version is a definite classic.

q*bert didnt need an ending

gyruss didnt need bosses

strider didnt need fetch quests

double dragon didnt need experience points

bump n jump didnt need a kidnapped girlfriend

and the worst offender of all

donkey kong NEEDED the cement factory stage

and with your examples, why change an arcade property to that degree? instead of changing ninja gaiden that drastically, why not simply come up with a different name?

i like the NES, but i hated how nintendo killed the idea of a home arcade machine. the nes was a popular enough platform that it could support both original games and great arcade ports, but it took konami years for them to port the TMNT arcade game. was it konami that drug its feet, or was it nintendo insisting on unique home video games? the world may never know

There's times I think I hate my Genesis.

I hate it because I love it, and it keeps making me cry. It's like romance I guess.

I bought it as a kid with tons of saved up allowance money, wanting something closer to the arcade experience and it mostly lived up to those expectations. I came to learn later that it's based on the arcade hardware of the time (but cheaper), and understanding the hardware setup just makes me love it more. It's very reminiscent of the look and sound of a 16-bit arcade, which are the machines I played the most. And the model-1 just looks cool. It's really an awesome system.

Well.. when it was only maybe 1.5-2 years old, it started having controller problems. The up/down directions would suddenly lock - either it wouldn't move in a direction, or more often it would be stuck as if I was holding that direction down. We took it to a shop, explaining it was intermittent, but they of course couldn't duplicate the problem and told me to clean the controller pins. :roll:

After getting a Sega CD for Christmas, this problem mysteriously went away. For a while. Then it came back, and I discovered that pushing on the system would temporarily fix it.

In the end that console was replaced with a boring and reliable model-2 with bad sound.

Then my Sega CD died for the 2nd time, and I replaced it with a model-2 CD from FuncoLand. So by that time my working combo was model2+model2, but the model1+model1 is so much cooler (when it works).

Fast forward, I got my model-1 Genesis out of storage one day and cleaned it up. It was working perfectly again. I wasn't playing Genesis games much anymore but I was happy it was working.

Then the Z-80 got unstable. I was getting crazy glitches in Phantasy Star (on the PBC), and Genesis games were having sound problems and lockups.

I cleaned the board thoroughly, scrubbing all the pins with alcohol and washing the whole board with Simple Green.

This fixed it, for a while.

Then the video crapped out.

Then it got unstable again (sound problems and lockups).

A few days ago I fixed the video. I'm really happy about that and posted about it in the hardware forum, but the instability is still there.

And now the latest development: the old intermittent controller directionals problem, that I last experienced in the 90's.. is back. It also usually has sound glitches and lockups when this happens.

Sigh...

Why do I fight with this thing? Although I bought it well into 1990, it's a 1989-built model with no TMSS, good sound, and as my original console I can't just throw it away. There's some stubborn pride involved.

But damn with all the troubles it feels like owning an exotic sports car.

I hated the SNES. It's the only system I've ever truly hated. I got it the Christmas of 1996.. the year the N64 came out. My dad had the last N64 in his hands, but ran into his boss who had a SNES in his hands. His boss said he really wanted an N64 for his kid, and my father.. the selfish jack-ass that he was, swapped it with him.

That was NOT a merry Christmas. I hated that system, and when I was able to afford one in 1998 (the DK bundle with a copy of my favorite N64 game.. F-ZeroX), I bought it and sold the SNES.

I know it's a good system and all that.. but it never had a chance with me. lol

Interesting... '96 would have been a little late to be getting into the SNES, but I can see where someone would

have wanted the latest, greatest system at the time. Too bad you never gave the SNES a try. I think that system

reached darn near perfect 2D bliss. Great colours (unlike the original NES) that never looked washed out and

Mode 7 gave some games a real nice 3D effect. Oh - and the Yamaha sound chip built in... Contra has got to

be one of the best all time games for that system.

Sometimes FANBOYS make me WANT to hate a console though... ;) It annoys me when people defend their fav console to the point where they throw facts out of the window. At the same time people also annoy me when the bash systems that so many others like. ;) I have noticed that A LOT of you 8 bit Atari fans love to bash the NES... I've of course owned / own both a VCS and NES and dozens / hundreds of games for these systems and to me, the NES is the clear cut winner. :P

Like a few others here, I hate Microsoft. I'll never buy any of their products and hopefully they'll leave the industry after a couple more years of steady losses.

I started working in the PC graphics board industry when Windows 2.x was released, and I've seen first-hand how Microsoft destroyed innovation in the PC industry. How many companies with superior products were buried through Microsoft's shady business practices & legal teams. How many jobs they've cost this country. Thankfully they haven't been able to dominate/destroy the videogame industry. With every quarter's mounting losses for their games division I'm hopeful they'll eventually drop out or sell off the division...

Like a few others here, I hate Microsoft. I'll never buy any of their products and hopefully they'll leave the industry after a couple more years of steady losses.

I started working in the PC graphics board industry when Windows 2.x was released, and I've seen first-hand how Microsoft destroyed innovation in the PC industry. How many companies with superior products were buried through Microsoft's shady business practices & legal teams. How many jobs they've cost this country. Thankfully they haven't been able to dominate/destroy the videogame industry. With every quarter's mounting losses for their games division I'm hopeful they'll eventually drop out or sell off the division...

You are 100% correct. I've been in IT since Win3.X/DOS and Novell networks (early/mid 90's)

The stories I can tell of what some corporations do. PM me for some Halloween stories.

No thanks or help from Microsoft either. Its insanely scary.

I have a MAC at home and only one Microsoft product, the 360. Its lately been my gaming machine of choice from all the buy outs but I know how they are.

Sadly I don't think Micorosft will ever drop out of console video games now that they have weasled their way in.

Edited by cimerians

And bashers continue to ignore that Microsoft started turning a profit on the 360 long ago.

And bashers continue to ignore that Microsoft started turning a profit on the 360 long ago.

halo 3 has made the division marginally profitable, but overall its history the division is still swimming in red ink, and the cost to repair and ship RROD consoles cant be helping things

that doesnt make me a hater, compared to sony, MS are choir boys

You should get you're self a Neo Geo AES. Best home arcade fun.

Sadly I don't think Micorosft will ever drop out of console video games now that they have weasled their way in.

Well, I don't think their gaming division has posted many quarterly profits in their 7+ years, and Microsoft certainly isn't in the industry to express their creativity... my wishful thinking is that the board of directors or shareholders will eventually decide to give up on xbox and break up/sell the division.

Even with their early launch they've clearly lost this generation as well. Finishing 2nd or 3rd is irrelevant at this point. With their extended rrod warranty they're obligated to lose a lot more money replacing dead 360s. HD-DVD was a flop too. They'll probably finish this gen with larger losses than Sony. If xbox was a product of a smaller parent company they would've been dropped long ago. But, Microsoft doesn't like to lose so they'll continue to bleed and try again next gen.

Anyway, I don't usually bitch about them and try to avoid any of the fanboy or console argument crap. Internet negativity just brings unncessary stress to everyone who reads it. If people want to play their 360's, enjoy! I just wish people had a better understanding of who they're supporting.

Edited by boog

Hate is a pretty strong word to describe a system because I think you can find games to like on just

about anything, but over all, out of the systems I've owned, I seriously dislike:

Odyssey 2 (terrible controllers and extremely primitive looking/playing games)

XBox (it's a Micro$oft product, ugly as sin and I can't stand modern games)

N64 (only because of the 3D rage where you're tiny, but the world around you was HUGE)

Sega Master System (only hate the control pads really)

Atari Lynx (when games scroll, the LCD is so blurry that you can't follow a damn thing)

Game.com (yeah, I guess I do hate that thing)

Atari 5200 (for it's controllers and the fact it's nothing more than an Atari 8-bit)

Plug and Play C64 TV joystick (absolutely terrible selection of games)

Any of those stupid Nintendo or otherwise LCD game and watch things - yuck!

Original GameBoy (it's B/W for pete's sake! And blurry)

Sega CD (cool concept, horribly executed - talkin' about FMV games especially)

R-Zone (for obvious reasons)

Neo Geo Pocket (where's the games?!?)

Sony PS2 (almost forgot that one and for the reasons chrisbid mentioned)

Wii (they need to perfect the lazy cursor control before I can take it seriously,

great concept though)

...biggest all time disappointment with a game system though was the Atari Jaguar. And with

overpriced games, limited quantities of great games such as Battlesphere (which should have

been made more common so as to be affordable) and overpriced late releases that previously

were "unreleased" (oh, I mentioned that already), the systems continues to disappoint ;-)

I have to disagree with most of those:

Wii

PlayStation 2

Neo Geo Pocket Color

XBox

GameBoy

Nintendo 64

Atari 5200

Oddysey 2

Although, I do agree with

MasterSystem

Sega CD

Lynx

Game.Com

Game & Watch

Plus, some systems I don't like:

Genesis

Virtual Boy

I dislike aspects of the game boy color, but not hate.

When the screen gets a smudge, I put some spit on my shirt to wipe it off...and it adds like...100 lights scratches that are annoying in the light, which you need to play...gosh...

You know, there's a solution for that: get a GameBoy Advance SP

I dislike aspects of the game boy color, but not hate.

When the screen gets a smudge, I put some spit on my shirt to wipe it off...and it adds like...100 lights scratches that are annoying in the light, which you need to play...gosh...

You know, there's a solution for that: get a GameBoy Advance SP

But all the good accseories wont work!

Game boy camera = upside down

Kirbys tilt n tumble = reversed controls.

And, the GBC is just freakin awesome

no they did not.

You should get you're self a Neo Geo AES. Best home arcade fun.

I have the Arcade MVS and the 101 game cart. Really fun. So innovative and cool in it's time!

I own a 400,2600,7800,INTV,ColecoVision.I've never even owned an NES,the 1st one that came out.Just have no interest in Modern consoles.The ones i mentioned above do it for me,need nothing else.So,its not really a hate of modern consoles,just have no desire to own any of them. ;)

Edited by Rik

never liked the nes other than a few games.

always hated xbox/360, they always felt like "wannabes", more concerned with one-upping everybody else than finding their own niche. paid online play? are you effing high? and i think their hyped games like gears and halo are the most overhyped sh*t i've ever played on my life.

id like to ask the bitter dreamcast fanboys how exactly sony, instead of sega's retarded and shitty business plan, killed the dreamcast. i'd really love to know. are you sure it wasn't the endless crappy add-ons? the absolute abortions that were TWO console launches? spending $100 million or so funding a niche and unproven i.p. like shenmue (which was NEVER going to recoup the investment)? sega of japan, who didn't have a damn clue, running the show? maybe just like atari, sega imploded under the weight of endless bad decisions.

so how did sony kill sega? maybe it was just smarter businessmen playing hardball, you know, capitalism.

bernie stolar himself blames management for wanting out of the hardware business-

http://bitmob.com/index.php/mobfeed/qaa-former-sega-president-on-dreamcasts-failure-pranks-against-sony-his-ouster.html

Edited by xg4bx
  • Like 1