IGNORED

have you ever hated a console?

Tr3vor

I have never been a fan of any of the Nintendo systems but especially hate the NES with its horrible flickery graphics, childishly styled games and the way it manages to ruin so many great arcade games by adding stupid shit to them that they didn't need.

Amen, brother.

Yeah, but sometimes adding weird stuff worked - Contra, Ninja Gaiden, Bionic Commando, etc.

Errr, no it didn't :thumbsdown:

I prefer the Nintendo Ninja Gaiden to the generic quarter munching arcade game.

Edited by mbd30

I hated the NES because of what it represented. It represented a cultural shift from american consoles to Japanese. I was really too old to be enthralled by Super Mario Brothers. So the whole side scroller fascination was kind of lost on me. All I knew was the consoles I associated with the home gaming universe were being swept aside and the NES and SMS were taking their place. The NES much more than the SMS felt Japanese, and I mean Japanese in a 1970s Datsun sort of way. And I just didn't go for it. I didn't like the color palette or the cutesiness or the joypads that emphasized the left thumb over the right hand. And I resented the fact that the Generation Y was falling for this stuff hook line and sinker. Nintendo Power magazine, The Glove, the emphasis on "megabits" and all the stuff that really signified the switch between classic gaming and the modern era of disposable, sequelitis gaming.

So the NES to me was like rap/hip-hop in the music world, the dividing line on the generation gap.

Very well said, I view it in much the same way. It was all very sad!

Wow, a lot of people hating on the NES.

I agree with most of what you guys are saying, but its not to say there werent any good titles for the system. I grew up with the 2600, followed by the Intv II, and soon after the Colecovision. But I still enjoyed my NES when I got that..

I mean, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II, Super Mario Bros 3, Kirbys Adventure, Kid Icarus, The Legend of Zelda, Final Fantasy, Megaman 2? Great games!

One system I could say I absolutely hate, and still dont understand why I still have it in my collection; the Action Max. What a gimmick.

Playstation 2 was and IS revolutionary architecture... leaving any PC graphics technology far behind back in 2000 with its 48 GB/s geometry throughput, son of a bitch performance rasterizer... How can someone bash it....

Back to the topic, yes there is one "console" I hate: it's Xbox 360 this console is pain in the ass and any person who financially supports it deserves to be called faggot... Xbox 360 has managed to do nothing but mess up the whole business, introducing new terms like RRod, 3 yer "warranty", paid online, gay trashtalk... man I hated the console from the very first day back in 2005.. all those EX-PS2 kiddies staring at it in the kiosks... ma I hate all those kids deserting from Sony to Microsoft.. al those wannabees supporting this crap and placing it aside their LCDs in living rooms... the biggest pain in the ass is Xbox 360...

• Like 1

Playstation 2 was and IS revolutionary architecture... leaving any PC graphics technology far behind back in 2000 with its 48 GB/s geometry throughput, son of a bitch performance rasterizer... How can someone bash it....

Back to the topic, yes there is one "console" I hate: it's Xbox 360 this console is pain in the ass and any person who financially supports it deserves to be called faggot... Xbox 360 has managed to do nothing but mess up the whole business, introducing new terms like RRod, 3 yer "warranty", paid online, gay trashtalk... man I hated the console from the very first day back in 2005.. all those EX-PS2 kiddies staring at it in the kiosks... ma I hate all those kids deserting from Sony to Microsoft.. al those wannabees supporting this crap and placing it aside their LCDs in living rooms... the biggest pain in the ass is Xbox 360...

Hey, I' one of those gay ass kids that deserted sony for Microsoft. Of course, I did it in 2001 instead of 2005 :P Feel better :lol:

I'd have to say I hated on the Dreamcast. I didn't literally "hate' it or anything. But at that time, I'd been burned to a crisp by Sega's very anti consumer practices, and by the time the Dreamcast rolled around, I was just like "no more....fuck you Sega" I would go out of my way to tell people that the dreamcast was just sucking their wallet dry and Sega would dump it in a year or two anyways. I did eventually get one, about 02 when they were being blown out for $30 with a couple of games, and holy shit, was I wrong about that...Awesome system.

• Like 1

I have come pretty close to hating the cd-i. There are only a small, smaaaall handful of titles worth owning on it. Unfortunately, I had to go through about 45 other titles that were complete garbage in my quest to find some good ones.

Edited by Austin

Interesting topic. I am sure opinions could be made for or against many consoles.

While most of you haven't bashed individuals, unfortunately a very small minority have. This is just a friendly reminder that ignorance, derrogatory names, slurs, and profanities etc. won't be tolerated and definitely isn't appreciated by most people who have to read it. There is also an ignore button for those who find someone's (other then a mods, lol) posts offensive.

Thanks a lot and hope you have a good one and carry on! :)

I tend to 'hate' the NES because of all the fuss around it. Remember the commercial 'now your playing with power'? Coming from an amiga, I really did not understand what they where meaning with power.

When the gameboy was launched, they changed the sentence into 'now your playing with power, portable power!'. Well, I wouldn't call the gameboy a powerful machine either.

Don't get me wrong, I don't hate nintendo anymore, I just hated the false advertising and the overvaluation.

I hated the NES because of what it represented. It represented a cultural shift from american consoles to Japanese. I was really too old to be enthralled by Super Mario Brothers. So the whole side scroller fascination was kind of lost on me. All I knew was the consoles I associated with the home gaming universe were being swept aside and the NES and SMS were taking their place. The NES much more than the SMS felt Japanese, and I mean Japanese in a 1970s Datsun sort of way. And I just didn't go for it. I didn't like the color palette or the cutesiness or the joypads that emphasized the left thumb over the right hand. And I resented the fact that the Generation Y was falling for this stuff hook line and sinker. Nintendo Power magazine, The Glove, the emphasis on "megabits" and all the stuff that really signified the switch between classic gaming and the modern era of disposable, sequelitis gaming.

So the NES to me was like rap/hip-hop in the music world, the dividing line on the generation gap.

Sega was a american manufacturer. It only had 2 devisions that couldn't work together, sega of ameica and sega of japan. Instead of putting the money on 1 megadrive successor they where putting money on 3 successors, the 32x, the saturn, project jupiter that was a standalone 32x and project neptune.

• 1 month later...

*Great* post and it captures my feelings entirely. My video game education started young and properly (on an Intellivision & a 2600/7800) and I hated the NES, but I could never quite explain why I felt that way aside from blaming it for the INTV/2600/7800's demise.

I was alone amongst my peers (all through middle school, high school, and college) in hatred of the NES, and it's only been recently, some 20+ years after my first encounter with one, that I've started seriously looking at the NES.

Edited by Smatchmo

This thread again!? Read my blog to find more reasons to hate the 5200. Not only are the controller trash, emulation is a pain in the neck at best.

Now this is just my opinion, so you 5200 fans have no need at all to get into a tizzy. If you like it, more power to ya.

Oh, and who was it that mentioned Voodoo? How about this: 2x GPUs running at 182 MHz each, 4 MB of SRAM running at 172 MHz, and custom cooling... I tore me some Glide games up running that... and it kicks the snot out of anything nVidia had to offer up to and including some Geforce 3 cards, it kicks the snot out of anything Power VR had to offer, and it kicked the snot out of the current Radeon cards as well. About the only current card it wouldn't have outrun was STB's prototype Daytona card. that one would have been released as an updated Voodoo 5 card. I think the community refers to it as a 5600 or something.

The Daytona card had a 4x AGP bus and 2 32 MB banks of DDR. It could have run with a 400MHz FSB in the system, unlike the 5500 which can't run with anything over 333MHz FSB due to the chipset design on the 400MHz boards. I think the Daytona card might have had a slightly higher clock speed setting, but that DDR would have allowed for faster RAM speeds than the SDRAM that's commonly found on the 5500. One does well to get most 5500's over 180 MHz. Some will hit 220 with no problem, most won't.

I personally had my 5500 up to 186 at one point. It didn't run very many games, though. I changed the BIOS settings and ran it at either 172 or 176, though, with the RAM timings a tad slower and some of the "unsupported" features enabled.

"So powerful it's kind of ridiculous." Yes, that in one blazingly fast card. One of the SDRAM chips has failed, though, so I need to have them all replaced. When that's done, it'll have two 64 MB SDRAM banks on it, capable of 220MHz each. I just haven't found someone who can solder it all up.

I digress. Oh, BTW, you will never find a piece of nVidia equipment in my house, for obvious reasons. They cut supply to Hercules after Hercules marketed the Kyro II chipset, and IMO they bled 3Dfx dry by stealing the SLi technology and then bleeding 3Dfx dry in court when 3Dfx tried to sue over it.

Edited by shadow460

• 1 month later...

The reason I don't like Genesis is the same reason I feel some resentment for NES. Neither of those companies seemed to grasp the fact that blending arcade gammes with modern games just doesn't work. 90% of NES games are the kind were it plays like a cross between Pitfall and Super Mario Bros., are way to hard to be fun, have tile-sized sprites, lack any kind of save feature, and aren't the least bit original. It's like they thought that people would get a kick out of manuevering a generic guy through bland, boring areas dodging enemies that are positioned in such a way that you have to have the reflexes of a chipmunk to get past them. Atari 7800 may have been living the impossible dream, but at least they were living it right.

I hated the Game.com, but then I do have to credit it for getting me back into this. Not sure that was a good thing! I was browsing ebay a long time ago (I already collected, but just casually from thrifts through the '90s before that), and saw a game.come cheap, and bought it with a bunch of games. Was disappointed in every way, didn't even open up most of the sealed games, and actually ended up just giving the whole thing away about a year and a half ago.

Otherwise:

Hate:

just the Game.com

Kinda don't really care for:

PS1

Indifferent to:

Intellivision (with a few exceptions, it's not a bad system, just don't have any strong interest in it though I have quite a bit of stuff for it)

ColecoVision

PS2

GameCube

GameBoy or really any other factory-produced portable

Anything pre-2600

Just barely like:

NES

Everything else I can think of console-wise falls above that for one reason or another.

I've never hated a system as a whole but definitely individual consoles. The Odyssey 2 comes the closest to hate in my book as there wasn't really anything playable on it. All other systems I had I at least didn't mind with a few exceptions:

like genesis one but hate gen 2s and 3s

like Intellivision but hate the Sears version

like atari 4switch, but make more $ fixing 6ers

like 5200 2 port, hate 4 port

liked 3do fz1 or goldstar, hate fz10

liked Jaguar, hated my jaguar

The sears intv had the junkiest controllers of any intv, they're always broken. The gen2 I bought new didn't last 2 years. 4 port 5200 killed every rf switch ahead of it on my tv. My Jaguar cost a dollar brand new on clearance and didn't last 3 months. First the sound died, then color went bad, finally it wouldn't work at all and had a date with the wood chipper. :twisted:

For least-liked systems that I have owned, that would include the Genesis with Sega CD AND a Power Base Module for playing Master System games. Yeah, in the middle of the 1990s, I went Sega happy for a while, even buying for myself a Game Gear. Fortunately, I didn't get the Sega 32X because I didn't like having to power a Genesis and a Sega CD with two power adapters and I wasn't going to add a third adapter to the whole set.

I remember seeing the Saturn at a local Electronics Boutique or Software Etc store the holiday season it was out and they had a hockey game playing on the demo... grey ice?! WTF? That totally turned me off the Saturn... I suppose if I didn't see that mess of a game I would have been interested in it still... as it stands, I never did own a Saturn... loved the Dreamcast after it though! I even enjoyed the CDX and 32x (for Star Wars arcade) but the Saturn is the lone Sega console I skipped out on.

Hate is too strong of a word because if someone offered me a free console... I'd take it in a heartbeat! Anyone have a Virtual Boy to give away? I didn't hate it but an ex-girlfriend sure did... I guess I was too busy staring at that console that I wasn't spending enough time staring at her. lol Looking back, I wish I would have kept the Virtual Boy instead of her.

• Like 1

Nope. Every console has some redeeming qualities.

The Odyssey 2 comes the closest to hate in my book as there wasn't really anything playable on it
KC Muchkin and KC's Crazy Chase disagree! :P

Didn't say there wasn't any at all, but they had a few worth trying. I ended up giving that whole setup away. I remember one of those being "ok" but not which one.

Never liked the NES, didn't think very highly of the SMS (although it's got some good games).

Didn't like the XBox when it came out.

Nowdays - hate the big 3 modern ones.

Why? Because they're dragging the quality of PC games down, not to mention playing a part in killing the PC games market.

The big problem with consoles is the turnaround time between generations. They excel over your average PC for maybe 6 months, then lag behind. That just serves to drag everything down. Lots of PC games lately have been a disappointment either due to lack of depth, poor production, and plain just not utilising all the expensive RAM and graphics card capabilities we fork out so much money for.

The poor PC games are largely a product of production houses splitting resources, plus the lowest-common-denominator factor - the console.