IGNORED

New Atari 2600 Game Release

Rick Weis

yay! Mine is on the way! So excited, except that I go out of town this weekend and will not get to play much until next week! Ah well, something to live for until Monday.

You'll love this one Stan. I've played mine a bunch since PRGE. Great game! I hit reset for another game at least five or ten times every time I pop it in.

This may be heresy, but I like it a little better than Tetris. It's super addicting, and a great 'play before bed' relaxing kind of puzzle.

Good times. James, the programmer, is a hell of a nice guy too. He came to the expo this year. I had a lot of fun doing the manual and extras this year for it too.

Definately one of my favorite homebrews, even if Rick Weis continually destroys my scores at it. You definately need patience!

OK this looks interesting but I have to ask, is it just one screen and done?

So you clear as many blocks as you can in say 3 minutes and game over?

Or are there "levels"

it's just one game screen, it does have 4 different level setting (easy to hard)

Rick

Chunkout made it today before I had to leave town, and briefly all I have to say is that this game is EVIL. Just evil.

The first level is something for children and pets to make them feel like they have done something by pressing a button. Seriously, the football picking chicken could score major points on level 1. Level 2 teaches you how the game is played and gives you an idea of strategies you might implement should you get in a tight spot. Level 3 gives you some satisfaction since it is actually challenging to complete the screen and you have to think about moves before you make them. When you clear the screen, you feel like you did something. Then you play level 4 and the game basically looks you square in the eye and tells you that you are an idiot. And you are, because what do you do? You hit reset, again and again and again and again and again, until you look up and it's a week later and you have failed to eat, sleep, shower, or go to work. Yes, kids, this game is EVIL.

I was trying to leave town when I started level 4, that was 3 hours ago, and the VCS has not been off since. (Aimee is playing now). You just cannot stop playing this game. It is addictive, challenging and fun. But it will also consume your very existence. You must buy this game.

Kudos! Thank you, James Todd, you are a bad, bad man.

Thanks for the game review StanJr! it's one of a very few games my GF plays on Atari 2600. she loves it!

all orders that has been paid for, have been shipped!

Thanks for the support!

Rick

PS I'll be off line this weekend, so anyone that e-mails or PM's me, i will respond on monday. (maybe sunday night)

Kudos! Thank you, James Todd, you are a bad, bad man.

Thanks Stan, I'm glad you're getting some good playtime out of it, but hope you didn't miss anything too important out of town!

I'm sure you'll all get a kick out of Jon's manual too, he did a great job writing up the back story to this game, and gives it a real authentic early 2600 game feel (complete with space theme, evil warlords etc).

yeah, that manual is a real tome. Best part is that it has the feel of an original style manual with the huge backstory for a game that is rather simple (like the story for Demons to Diamonds!). Very well constructed! ChunkOut 2600 is an all-around winner!

Chunkout is indeed a fun game. James did a great job with the concept and programming. Rick and the rest involved in the production of the game and packaging also did a fine job.

I picked up my limited edition boxed copy of Chunkout 2600 at the PRGE. I got #10. If you have the means, get a copy of this game. Loose or boxed it's a lot of fun.

I had James sign the box and the back of my cartridge too. He's a really nice guy and fun to talk with. Attached is picture proof :thumbsup:

post-24438-125470590529_thumb.jpg

post-24438-125470591095_thumb.jpg

Can you actually "beat" the game?

How?

Clear all the blocks?

Is that possible with every new screen?

Yes, i think that's what he meant. i look at the game as a hi score type game not just clearing all the blocks but getting the best score while doing it. (I've come close a few times) :)

still have some left carts left if anyone is interested.

Thanks for the support,

Rick