IGNORED

CV Lord of the Dungeon IMAGES.

CV Gus

The 24k one does indeed work - however to save your progress in the game requires the use of blueMSX's "Save CPU State" function.

I know what's going on, the 24K version is the Coleco Adam version of the game to use the game in its high-RAM bank, to give the possibility to save data in the high-addresses. Unfortunately, you can't say "save this data in the cartridge" you need to simulate it and adding this function did increase the size of the game and make it complicated. So, the person who did convert to ColecoVision the Coleco Adam version is a genius, and my guess is Sean Kelly, or someone he knows well, did it.

So, the 32K I'm giving you is the ColecoVision version only playable in a special cartridge, and the 24K is the Coleco Adam version.

Edited by newcoleco

The 24k one does indeed work - however to save your progress in the game requires the use of blueMSX's "Save CPU State" function.

I know what's going on, the 24K version is the Coleco Adam version of the game to use the game in its high-RAM bank, to give the possibility to save data in the high-addresses. Unfortunately, you can't say "save this data in the cartridge" you need to simulate it and adding this function did increase the size of the game and make it complicated. So, the person who did convert to ColecoVision the Coleco Adam version is a genius, and my guess is Sean Kelly, or someone he knows well, did it.

So, the 32K I'm giving you is the ColecoVision version only playable in a special cartridge, and the 24K is the Coleco Adam version.

Not sure how relevant this is, but the first 24k of the 32k binary is identical to the 24k version that I uploaded. What I don't understand newcoleco is that I believe that you said that the 32k version was dumped from one of Sean Kelly's carts using an EPROM reader/writer after desoldering the EPROM from the cart, while my 24k binary was dumped using an edge of cart reader, again from one of Sean Kelly's carts - this dumped 32k but the last 8k was empty and so I deleted it. So how can they be different version, i.e. CV and Adam if they've been dumped from the same run of carts? Or have I misunderstood?

The rom file I'm giving here is the data you get by dumping the eprom directly by unsoldering it first from the circuit board, not a dump made with a cart reader or a copy cart program for the Coleco Adam computer... which I'm guessing it's the 24k version you got here.

I figured that the 32K dump included the last 8K from the EPROM, but I've disassembled the whole thing (with a tracing disassembler), and it only uses half of the last 8K of space for the RAM, and ignores the rest. There is no bank switching. The RAM is implemented similar to Superchip RAM on the 2600, except that it's 2K instead of 256 bytes. I suspect that the RAM is mirrored at both E000 and F000, and that it is impossible to read the last 8K of the ROM from the Colecovision.

Playing the 32K version would probably confuse the hell out of the game on an emulator, since it would look like it had a scrambled save file.

With minor modifications, it can be played on a CV with extra RAM, but of course you would have to supply your own battery backup.

Someone needs to see what game that last 16K corresponds to, because it's not part of LoD. As I said before, the code that's at E000 was clearly assembled at A000.

Anyhow, I've got my ICE set up on a Coleco right now for another project, so I should try to re-assemble it with changed RAM addresses and play it.

EDIT: I loaded it up and tried playing it for about 5 minutes. The user interface is completely awful. And it starts up with a title screen that expects you to press down on the joystick first? JRPG-style menus would have been much better than the keypad. And it requires use of the right button, which makes my Champ keypads useless (they don't pass through the right button line to the plugged-in joystick).

I can't argue too much though, since this got squeezed into 24K. It does seem to be pretty near complete, though.

So here's a version re-assembled to look for R/W RAM at 6000-6FFF:

lod.6000.bin

lod.4000.bin

Edited by Bruce Tomlin

Not sure how relevant this is, but the first 24k of the 32k binary is identical to the 24k version that I uploaded. What I don't understand newcoleco is that I believe that you said that the 32k version was dumped from one of Sean Kelly's carts using an EPROM reader/writer after desoldering the EPROM from the cart, while my 24k binary was dumped using an edge of cart reader, again from one of Sean Kelly's carts - this dumped 32k but the last 8k was empty and so I deleted it. So how can they be different version, i.e. CV and Adam if they've been dumped from the same run of carts? Or have I misunderstood?

Not all the Adam games can be ported, but some games can be. And Sean Kelly did many things we may never know for sure.

Example #1 : If you check the real Super Donkey Kong game you'll see that Coleco did keep "Donkey Kong" in the title screen, and Sean Kelly did told me that the rom file titled Super DK came from him, he did rename it "super dk" to identify it. ( so, it's a port )

Example #2 : Sean did talked to me one day about porting Tunnel and Trolls which I did refuse. I guess the title screen animation in rom file format is also from him (or someone he knows). ( again, another story about porting from Adam to ColecoVision )

Example #3 : And Sean Kelly did the pcb for Lord of the Dungeon, which uses an address simulation part and a ram bank to save games. Think about what can be the reason behind this complex pcb (why an address simulation?). And the settings you are using with BlueMSX proves to me that the game was supposed to be loaded in the Coleco Adam computer to run properly. ( ported )

which uses an address simulation part and a ram bank to save games. Think about what can be the reason behind this complex pcb (why an address simulation?)

I have a feeling what this refers to is how the board got around the lack of a R/W line by using a different address range for reads vs writes... which is exactly how the 2600 Supercart RAM works. The chips on the board seem about right for that. Fortunately most of the traces are on the bottom side of the board, so it should be possible to create a schematic of it.

which uses an address simulation part and a ram bank to save games. Think about what can be the reason behind this complex pcb (why an address simulation?)

I have a feeling what this refers to is how the board got around the lack of a R/W line by using a different address range for reads vs writes... which is exactly how the 2600 Supercart RAM works. The chips on the board seem about right for that. Fortunately most of the traces are on the bottom side of the board, so it should be possible to create a schematic of it.

Well, I've already a kind of schematic of this pcb, not the real one, but something based on it. I just can't find it right now.

• 1 month later...

I think this would be awesome for release as a homebrew remake. The fact that it has a battery save feature is incredible! Even if the game sucks, I think it would be awesome to be able to load a saved game from a ColecoVision cartridge.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Just a little bump since I brought my Coleco ADAM up 'out of the dungeon' (my basement) last night. Is it possible to hack LotD to work on an ADAM? Perhaps save to a disk or tape since battery back up isn't an option without an actual cart?

Tempest

Has anyone tried the roms listed here in the Atarimax flashcart? Did any work? Thanks for the reply.

No, it does not.

Even if you could get it running, it wouldn't be able to save without the battery. I think the only way we're going to get to play this is by either making another run of carts or by hacking it to work on an ADAM using the DDP or disk drive to save.

Tempest

Has anyone tried the roms listed here in the Atarimax flashcart? Did any work? Thanks for the reply.

No, it does not.

Even if you could get it running, it wouldn't be able to save without the battery. I think the only way we're going to get to play this is by either making another run of carts or by hacking it to work on an ADAM using the DDP or disk drive to save.

Tempest

Don't forget that you can play it in blueMSX and save your game progress.

I haven't played this game. Are there ROMs out there without the splash screen (showing CEG or DP or something like that)? I've been thinking about making a run of these (I bought the parts a while back), but I wouldn't do it with the "new" splash screen.

Thanks,

5-11under

I haven't played this game. Are there ROMs out there without the splash screen (showing CEG or DP or something like that)? I've been thinking about making a run of these (I bought the parts a while back), but I wouldn't do it with the "new" splash screen.

Thanks,

5-11under

The one I provided in an earlier post (http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/151433-cv-lord-of-the-dungeon-images/page__view__findpost__p__1855644) does not show the splash screen. Check it out in blueMSX.

Edited by Ikrananka

Thanks,

5-11under

The one I provided in an earlier post (http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/151433-cv-lord-of-the-dungeon-images/page__view__findpost__p__1855644) does not show the splash screen. Check it out in blueMSX.

Okay, that's cool. I'll have to give it a try.

Thanks,

5-11under

No, it does not.

Tempest

Another way would be to use the special ColecoVision PCB which Batari is currently developing for me. But the PCB is still a long way from being finished (Batari is busy with other stuff right now), and besides, the ROM would probably have to be significantly modified to save the game progress on the EEPROM.

Still, it's a theoretical possibility. :)

Edited by Pixelboy

• 3 months later...

With the new Atarimax SD flashcart coming out, which rom will work best with it? I want to make sure I get the original one, as it should work and save as programmed with the new product, right. Thanks.

The 24K Probe2000 one should be fine.

5-11under

With the new Atarimax SD flashcart coming out, which rom will work best with it? I want to make sure I get the original one, as it should work and save as programmed with the new product, right. Thanks.

If you post both images or send them to me in a PM I'll give them a try.

I believe I have the 24K rom-only dump here but I don't remember using one without a title screen.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

I will be running extensive experiments as well when my SD flash cart arrives. I've been waiting to play this game on real hardware for a very, very long time now...

We'll re-release Lord of the Dungeon soon

I made a Probe 2000 manual for it, the manual look very authentic

It will also contains an Insert Cardboard and Overlay, cartridge label + a Silver Sticker for the side of the box (you'll have to provide your own War Room Box though)

It'll be release in form of "Kit" and also cartridge only

Edited by retroillucid