IGNORED

ATARI 2600 video signal on videomixer

freehabitat

Hello Folks,

i want to use my Atari 2600 for doing live videoart/visuals. i already did the mod with the composit out. if i connect the 2600 to my Panasonic video mixer (working in PAL/Europe), the picture is there but really displaced.

do anyone has experience with that?!

thank you anyway.

Hello Folks,

i want to use my Atari 2600 for doing live videoart/visuals. i already did the mod with the composit out. if i connect the 2600 to my Panasonic video mixer (working in PAL/Europe), the picture is there but really displaced.

do anyone has experience with that?!

thank you anyway.

The 2600 signal is not quite standard and some of the video mods are better than others. Try running the signal through a VCR first and see how it looks.

Mitch

Try running the signal through a VCR first and see how it looks.

Mitch

hey Mitch,

not a good idear with the VCR, thats just a RF filter as far i konw...

... and i already made the composite mod. so what i am looking for, is a way o have a straight PAL video signal out of the 2600. Dont have any idear how i should start to do this.

but you are right, the video mod i did was one of the simlpe exsamples with to poti-resistors and so on...

do anyone know whitch of the other mods might worke proper?!

some googles later..... can anyone confirme that the CD4050 mod is what i am searching for?!

best wishes,

TOM

Edited by freehabitat

I think he might have meant running the composite through the VCR - sometimes that stabilizes the signal enough for otherwise touchy video displays. It's another device in the chain, but it's something I've tried before that works.

The CD4050 mod should work much better, but I've never built a PAL one.

Yes, Nathan has it right. The VCR should stabilize the composite signal enough to display it properly. The CD4050 mod is probably the best "do it yourself" video mod for the 2600 but I also have not tried it on a PAL 2600.

I heard that Longhorn Engineer is planning on making a PAL version of his 2600 video mod board. You may want to wait and try that instead.

Mitch

Other reasons why it couldn't work:

slighlty different timings of the atari2600 pal signal?

non-interlaced signal. The video-mixer is probably expecting an interlaced video signal.

okay,... so th VCR is just for stabilisation, didnt know that!

CD4050 mod should work on PAL, just using other pinout of the TIA.

have a look here: http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/128279-cd4050-av-mod-on-pal-atari-2600/

just one thing i did not figured out now,.. how to put a S-video plug on it.

http://www.tkk.fi/Misc/Electronics/circuits/svideo2cvideo.html

luma and croma is on 3 & 4, but what is ground Y/C, is both(1&2) just the ground ?!

best regards,

TOM

have a look here: http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/128279-cd4050-av-mod-on-pal-atari-2600/

just one thing i did not figured out now,.. how to put a S-video plug on it.

http://www.tkk.fi/Misc/Electronics/circuits/svideo2cvideo.html

luma and croma is on 3 & 4, but what is ground Y/C, is both(1&2) just the ground ?!

best regards,

TOM

found in the article:

Power (+5v) and ground can be tapped into many different places on the board and are not indicated in the pic.

For example, power can be found at any point continuous with the right pin of the voltage regulator (with printed side facing you and pins pointing downwards), while ground at any point continuous with the center pin of the regulator or with the metal shield.

Connect pint 1&2 to atari2600's ground.

my big problem is that the picture is much to dark now... i am little confused :?

finally i did it :twisted:: )

i can use the composit signal with a little modified CD4050 mod. on my video mixer, no more displaced screen!!!

the brightness is also fine now,...

for the one who want to know, i put some potentiometer into the circuit of lum0,1,2 and color, now i have some little knobs where i can setup the color as i want. not very original, but works at least :D