IGNORED

really annoying kids.

Tr3vor

alright, you have those kids that hate old stuff and love the new game consoles, but what about those weird kids who like them (not refering to myself!).

ok, on youtube and other websites, when you search up "atari 2600" half of the vids that show up are by kids (9-12 year olds) that start talking like their experts on the thing. i have seen this one where a kid gets an atari 2600 on eaby, unpacks it, and finds the Space Invaders with a text label, well you know how it says "game program" on it? he says, "oh this it the game program version of it, i wish that i had the real version." and im all WTH. well, i know their just trying to be smart.

then there are the ones who are all faggish and think, "oh, i bought an old console, so im different from everyone else, and that makes me cool" and all this crap.

when will this end!!! will there ever be anyone who will make a decent review or overview besides emo kids??? (no offense to the awesome people who already do)

*end of rant*

Tr3vor

alright, you have those kids that hate old stuff and love the new game consoles, but what about those weird kids who like them (not refering to myself!).

ok, on youtube and other websites, when you search up "atari 2600" half of the vids that show up are by kids (9-12 year olds) that start talking like their experts on the thing. i have seen this one where a kid gets an atari 2600 on eaby, unpacks it, and finds the Space Invaders with a text label, well you know how it says "game program" on it? he says, "oh this it the game program version of it, i wish that i had the real version." and im all WTH. well, i know their just trying to be smart.

then there are the ones who are all faggish and think, "oh, i bought an old console, so im different from everyone else, and that makes me cool" and all this crap.

when will this end!!! will there ever be anyone who will make a decent review or overview besides emo kids??? (no offense to the awesome people who already do)

*end of rant*

Tr3vor

Better to have awareness and little understanding than no awareness.

Well, for me personally, I think it's kind of cool that some kids like and appreciate Atari. Sure, youtube is full of toolbags and pretentious, attention-seeking blowhards, but hey, at least a few of the new generation appreciate the ol' girl?

Who cares if they get all the details right? They're kids. We were all idiots at that age.

At least it's Atari and not 'OMG retrogaming is teh suxxorz zomg kthxbye' :lol:

*end of rant*

Tr3vor

What makes me twitch is when they get the information clear wrong because they don't know what their talking about. I watch thing kids review on the Jaguar . . . and he didn't look up anything before posting. The best was "This console came out in that weird time period of 1996 ~ 1997 when you add all those weird consoles that weren't quiet 3D but were . . ."

Jaguar came out in 1993 . . .

But yeah I saw an Atari 2600 review where the kid said Atari had lost from the start since the NES and Atari 2600 were released the same year . . . :x

-Disjaukifa

Edited by disjaukifa

"This console came out in that weird time period of 1996 ~ 1997 when you add all those weird consoles that weren't quiet 3D but were . . ."

I remember that line, as far as I recall it was... a quite old kid ;) however, I might be mistaken

Yeah, there's a whole lot of very bad videos on Youtube, stating wrong information and so on... However, some of them are good, and I don't think it helps a lot to label anyone who wasn't around in the 2600's heyday as "a kid" - hey that would make me a kid, too, and I'm 23 ;)

I think it's a good sign newer generations appreciate the old systems as well, and making (good) video reviews in my opinion is an important act of preserving history, very similar to storing old game ROMs.

However I would like that people on Youtube generally would think before they upload a video "is this really good enough for other people to watch?" but I guess that never will happen. Chances are, maybe all the people who DO think before they upload will finally turn away from youtube and use other portals...

"This console came out in that weird time period of 1996 ~ 1997 when you add all those weird consoles that weren't quiet 3D but were . . ."

I remember that line, as far as I recall it was... a quite old kid ;) however, I might be mistaken

Yeah, there's a whole lot of very bad videos on Youtube, stating wrong information and so on... However, some of them are good, and I don't think it helps a lot to label anyone who wasn't around in the 2600's heyday as "a kid" - hey that would make me a kid, too, and I'm 23 ;)

I think it's a good sign newer generations appreciate the old systems as well, and making (good) video reviews in my opinion is an important act of preserving history, very similar to storing old game ROMs.

However I would like that people on Youtube generally would think before they upload a video "is this really good enough for other people to watch?" but I guess that never will happen. Chances are, maybe all the people who DO think before they upload will finally turn away from youtube and use other portals...

I have a youtube account that I have thought about putting up game reviews and whatnot up but I am so worried about looking and sounding stupid that I just haven't done it yet. I'm going to because I seem to many BAD reviews that I want to be out a good one (granted I might be a LITTLE bias but hey who on youtube isn't???)

-Disjaukifa

Tr3vor

What makes me twitch is when they get the information clear wrong because they don't know what their talking about. I watch thing kids review on the Jaguar . . . and he didn't look up anything before posting. The best was "This console came out in that weird time period of 1996 ~ 1997 when you add all those weird consoles that weren't quiet 3D but were . . ."

But yeah I saw an Atari 2600 review where the kid said Atari had lost from the start since the NES and Atari 2600 were released the same year . . . :x

-Disjaukifa

Can you folks post URLS to those videos? I'd like to watch them.

Tr3vor

-Disjaukifa

Can you folks post URLS to those videos? I'd like to watch them.

Link to Jaguar video:

Link to Jaguar video:

LOL! I've seen this before. Man, this guy sure makes you want to chuck your Jaguar system right out the window, huh? lol That's got to be the most disparaging review ever :-( I personally like the Video Game Nerd's reviews. That guy has a great sense of humour and is entertaining as hell.

Yeah that's the video I meant, it's a fine example of this whole bunch of low-quality vids on YouTube. Apart from the chronological confusion I particulary dislike how he shot his TV, because you can't even see the whole screen. Another "funny" thing I noticed is when he talks about the controller and says "that's the one I've currently plugged in" which is just a lie, unless he's got 2 Jaguars, as we have seen the Jaguar just seconds ago, it's not hooked up and doesn't have any controller cords plugged in ;)

Oh and he says Tempest 2000 has bad controls. Okay, to be honest, I've never seen a real Jaguar, but I played Tempest 2000 through emulation on my PC quite a lot a while ago, using my simple gamepad, and I think the controls are as good as they could possibly get without having analog control like the original Arcade.

Okay, the Jaguar controller might be what makes the difference, but 1. from looking at it I don't think it is all that bad once you get used to it (as I've never seen one in real life, let alone touched it, I might be wrong) and 2. in that case, the complaint is directed at the controller, which he already complained about earlier, and not the game.

A quick side question: Can you use Sega Genesis controllers with the Jaguar? Looks like the plug fits, but are the buttons working properly? Are they in the same order? (disregarding the lack of the numercial keypad, which AFAIK isn't used in most of the games)

Edited by Herbarius

Kids who post videos on YouTube are certainly not representative of kids in general.

I sold an Atari VCS to a kid a few months ago, and he was really into it in an honest, earnest, "wow, this is HISTORY" sort of way, and he'd come back to the shop every couple weeks and ask all sorts of questions about "the old days" -- a lot of the same questions I had to ask as a young guy because I wasn't born when the VCS came out, either.

Kids who post videos on YouTube are certainly not representative of kids in general.

For sure not, but like so many other forums, sure can seem like it when they are the ones always in your face. About the Jaguar controllers... they are just fine. Better than fine really. Very high quality and comfortable to these hands and I think the keypad/overlay was a great idea. Allowed for much greater complexity in games - something that would logically go hand in hand (no pun intended) with an "interactive multimedia system".

No doubt a lot of kids today just do not have the experience, knowledge and background of history that some of these legacy consoles command. It's kind of funny watching them fumble about and make total asses out of themselves on the internet. Just too bad so many of the goofballs are highly visible. You've all heard the saying before about the wheel and the grease. I just chalk it up to some cheap and mediocre entertainment at best.

Yes, I too want to see the video with the "game program version" of Space Invaders :D

Almost sounds like that intentional BS the guy from Classic Game Room uses ;)

I'd like to see it as well, I have been looking for it on youtube but have yet to find it, if I do I will post the link.

-Disjaukifa

Well, I guess I'm a weird kid then. LOL, I'm 12 and I think my 2600 kicks the heck out of my Xbox. I'll take q-Bert over Call of duty anytime. EVER. lol.

Hey nothing weird with that!!! Welcome to the club. I have owned a 2600 since about the age of 15 and that was over 8 years ago!!! At that time I think Halo had just come out (jeez I'm getting old I can't remember . . .) and I would play the 2600 over my Xbox all the time!

We're not saying kids are annoying, we're saying kids that do reviews that can't even get the facts right because they are to lazy are annoying ;)

-Disjaukifa