IGNORED

Zaku for the Atari Lynx: Official thread

DeathAdderSF

Keep an eye on eBay France maybe. I bought one recently, but the post service couldn't figure out my address, and returned it to sender. In the meantime I got another copy. So... the French one got refunded, and will probably go up again on eBay soon I imagine. I paid similar/less than $75.

• 2 weeks later...

Zaku looks absolutely incredible on the lynx with large sprites, multi scrolling backgrounds, huge huge bosses filling the entire screen,fast speed phased action,there,re tons of bright colors, and the intro looks nice, what more could i say, apart from the music, this game looks and runs incredible, this game can be on pair with a sega or snes action side scroller shooter like r-type, just amezing, got to have it to be mine.

• 6 months later...

Sent request to be added to mailing list many months ago, never got any response. I ended up getting one off eBay. More than I wanted but Zaku was one of the few "expensive" games that were worth paying for. Not like other Lynx game (Double Dragons, Super Off Road, etc those games are shit and not worth more than $20 much less the $200+ flippers want.

I did hear of a rumor but nothing solid for a few months.

Hi folks,

I sent an email to the Super Fighter Team regarding Zaku. Here are my 3 questions and the responses from them.

Hello, Mark.

Thanks for your interest in Zaku.

How many people would you need to buy a copy to do a re-run?

Short answer: 400. And I think we'd have no problem with that.

Long(er) answer: It's not necessarily about sales numbers, but more about our production schedule. We've quite a few titles in the pipeline right now, making it difficult to put Zaku back into production anytime soon.

Would you consider doing a run on a different cart not necessarily the curved lip type?

No. The costs would be prohibitively expensive. As well, customer demographics have proven the "curved lip" type to be the most attractive.

I only ask because even though I have a copy it doesn't work anymore, didn't work when I bought it from someone on ebay ? .

We hope to be able to provide you with a copy in the future. To that end, we'll add you to our mailing list.

Have a nice day.

I'm really pleased they have responded to my questions, and it offers a glimmer of hope for the future re-release of Zaku.

Please register your interest to make this happen here:

http://www.zaku-lynx.com/purchase.htm

Rgds

BadPricey

Edited by BadPricey

Hi folks,

I sent an email to the Super Fighter Team regarding Zaku. Here are my 3 questions and the responses from them.

Hello, Mark.

Thanks for your interest in Zaku.

How many people would you need to buy a copy to do a re-run?

Short answer: 400. And I think we'd have no problem with that.

Long(er) answer: It's not necessarily about sales numbers, but more about our production schedule. We've quite a few titles in the pipeline right now, making it difficult to put Zaku back into production anytime soon.

Would you consider doing a run on a different cart not necessarily the curved lip type?

No. The costs would be prohibitively expensive. As well, customer demographics have proven the "curved lip" type to be the most attractive.

I only ask because even though I have a copy it doesn't work anymore, didn't work when I bought it from someone on ebay .

We hope to be able to provide you with a copy in the future. To that end, we'll add you to our mailing list.

Have a nice day.

I'm really pleased they have responded to my questions, and it offers a glimmer of hope for the future re-release of Zaku.

Please register your interest to make this happen here:

http://www.zaku-lynx.com/purchase.htm

Rgds

BadPricey

You bought a copy on ebay and it didn't work? Wow would I be PISSED OFF! But I suppose that's better than being pissed on though, am I right?

Edited by travistouchdown

I guess you've done the old "eraser on the pins" trick? I've revived a few carts that way.

I've scrubbed the cart pins like a ninja, I've even tried reading the cart using karri's programming board. I get all sorts of data from it, but it always does something different and it's nonsense compared to other carts. I definitely think it's serious. I'm reluctant to stick it in the oven, the plastic wouldn't survive I don't think.

• 3 weeks later...

I never get why SFT's release schedule is so slow even when he is aware of the demand. I get that a new release may take quite a while, but SFT actually does announce reruns several years ahead of time. Star Odyssey on MD will ship in 2017.

I'd also understand waiting until enough pre-orders are in to justify production... but then you would not know it will happen by 2017 either.

Glad I bought one of the last copies of Zaku available for normal price.

• 2 weeks later...

I would suggest taking that cart to pieces even further if you can - you've nothing really to lose. Does the PCB extend under the plastic top part there, or is it all on that small bottom (visible) PCB? I am wondering if there's a dry solder point on whatever is on the under side of that PCB.

I've tried to carefully prise the cart apart, using a stanley knife along the seam of the cart. This did not prove easy so I just decided to go for it with a hacksaw along the middle of the cart. The circuit looks just to be in the bottom section. I can see on the back where the chip is but without destroying it completely I don't reckon I can get to it.

post-40486-0-07605400-1451748264_thumb.jpg

Update: I've just prised the circuit off the plastic piece, it doesn't look good. There's some severe corrosion on the chip and the circuit piece. My initial thoughts are this cart has gotten wet somehow. I'm going to contact an old friend of mine to see if he can possibly clean it up and resolder it.

post-40486-0-87531500-1451748949_thumb.jpg

Edited by BadPricey

4Mbit flash chip, and that does look nasty. Does it smell like cat pee or something?

As long as all the pins are intact, it may be possible to save the chip. But if the pin are corroded and goes inside the package, it may be hard to salvage it. It would be much easier if Zaku ROM is publicly released, then you could get a new flash ROM and burn it then install it on the repaired board,

The chip is a 29F040. In my blankcart design I am using 39SF040

There is a pretty good chance that both chips can be programmed with the same software.

On the other hand you are interested in resurrecting the card. So perhaps the best option would be to clean up everything first.

Then apply tin on the pads of the PCB (and hope that the traces are still ok).

The last part would be to hot-plate the chip back to the PCB. Just put the PCB with the chip in correct position to your hot plate. Turn it up to 250 degrees. When the tin starts to melt move the chip to align perfectly with the pads. After about 90 seconds after the melting starts remove the PCB and put it on some wood to cool down.

If this is attempted in the kitchen be sure the lady in the house is somewhere else.

• Like 2

Be VERY careful around the traces and pads when cleaning, if they are damaged there is a very good chance they will lift easily, if they haven't already lifted free from the board due to the corrosion. Same with the chip legs, they could snap off easily. You are lucky the chip seems to have come off the board with the legs intact. You can check the continuity of the traces with a multimeter, and traces can be repaired or you can use jumper wires to patch any bad connections, but it is fiddly work, you want to avoid this. I would not be surprised if at least a couple of those traces were bad looking by the corrosion.

97% Ispopropyl alcohol and a Q-tip is the way to go, combined with non acid flux when you re-tin the pads and legs with solder.