IGNORED

Zaku for the Atari Lynx: Official thread

DeathAdderSF

This is a really good game and it is challenging as well. I own it. It is a cherished addition to my collection. It kind of reminds me of Sonic the Hedgehog and R-Type combined, the way the game is laid out. I could never get very far at it because of the difficulty level. Fun game. Kudos to the game's programmers. :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi,

I don't want anyone to take this the wrong way as I'm not after it for "thieving purposes" but why can someone not rip the rom file for the game? Isn't it the same process as all the other Lynx games we can download and play on emulators etc? Is there some sort of physical barrier to stop it? I'm going to preorder for next year but would be nice to put it on my multicard when it arrives in a couple of weeks (hopefully).

Coope.

Well...you know what? I pre-ordered and paid for a Genesis game I couldn't tell you how long before it finally arrived on my doorstep one day. I do remember, that I had forgotten about it completely and then one day....there it was.

What's the point? You may ask?

Simple, I pre-ordered for a game from them years ago and they did not disappoint. I've no reason to suspect they wouldn't come through again. So I've just pre-orderd Zaku as well.

Hi,

I don't want anyone to take this the wrong way as I'm not after it for "thieving purposes" but why can someone not rip the rom file for the game? Isn't it the same process as all the other Lynx games we can download and play on emulators etc? Is there some sort of physical barrier to stop it? I'm going to preorder for next year but would be nice to put it on my multicard when it arrives in a couple of weeks (hopefully).

Coope.

Because we support homebrewers we won't offer ripped ROMs. If we dumped homemeade games, people would stop making new original games and we wouldn't be able to enjoy what Lynx could offer. Beside Zaku won't work on emulator, and I doubt emulator author will modify emulators to make Zaku work so you will need to dump Zaku on your own then hack something to make it work.

• Like 1

Because we support homebrewers we won't offer ripped ROMs. If we dumped homemeade games, people would stop making new original games and we wouldn't be able to enjoy what Lynx could offer. Beside Zaku won't work on emulator, and I doubt emulator author will modify emulators to make Zaku work so you will need to dump Zaku on your own then hack something to make it work.

I already understand the moral reasons why it hasn't been done. I'm not sure why you felt the need to tell me that. I only wanted to know the physical reasons it hasn't been done. It's not right to rip a DVD and share it on the likes of kodi but it doesn't stop people. Just wondered what would actually stop someone from ripping the Zaku rom.

It is just that: the community is likely small enough to not rip a great game like this and kill any new initiatives. I greatly support this. I'll gladly pay for the hard work this game took when it will be available (but not any sooner).

I see no technical reasons it couldn't be ripped and it probably already has been but people who paid for this game simply don't want to spread it and kill the few new games that we still get, and they are right IMHO.

Technically it could play fine on the SD card I'm sure. If I would own the game when it would be released next year, I would love to make a rip so I can play it on my SD card, I don't want to swap carts anymore. But I would never share it.

Oh and who wants to play emulators ? :D

• Like 1

It is just that: the community is likely small enough to not rip a great game like this and kill any new initiatives. I greatly support this. I'll gladly pay for the hard work this game took when it will be available (but not any sooner).

I see no technical reasons it couldn't be ripped and it probably already has been but people who paid for this game simply don't want to spread it and kill the few new games that we still get, and they are right IMHO.

Technically it could play fine on the SD card I'm sure. If I would own the game when it would be released next year, I would love to make a rip so I can play it on my SD card, I don't want to swap carts anymore. But I would never share it.

Thanks...This was pretty much the answer I was after.

I'll be adding my name to the pre-order list.

Coope

• 2 weeks later...

I agree, I also appreciate the hard work that people out in programming these games, especially Zaki, which I have no problem patiently waiting for. ?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I bought Zaku back when it was first released and am quite happy with it.

It would be the perfect game to do a video on our channel for actually. With real hardware of course, but I would probably use an emulator for footage if I could.

Edited by DJ Clae
  • Like 1

I wish there was an option to buy the ROM. Code it with the email address so if it's uploaded to the net, then it would be known - in theory - who did it. I just know if I could load it onto my RetroHQ SD Card Adapter and brought it to the next Davis Atari Party, it would be a huge hit. Who knows? They probably would get increased sales from it.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Super Fighter Team in da house, yo!

Yeah, I had 2018 in my head from somewhere. I hope they've had the 400 pre-orders needed for production otherwise we could be waiting for some time yet.

2018 was probably in your head from one of my previous posts here, or from our website: Pre-order, will ship in 2018

We're not waiting for 400 pre-orders, we're waiting for our production queue to clear. We'll manufacture & ship to pre-order customers regardless of whether we reach the "magic number" of 400 or not. So there's no worry there.

Actually, there's no worry at all. Super Fighter Team always delivers on its promises, and has never in its 13 years [!] of operation ever missed a projected release date.

So!! If you haven't pre-ordered Zaku yet, please consider it. This isn't speaking from a marketing standpoint, it's just a considerate [?] suggestion as we are unlikely to manufacture additional copies after this current run. If you don't buy the game, someone else will -- and better to beat them to the punch than miss out, right? ;)

http://www.zaku-lynx.com <-- dig it.

• Like 4